PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba Satellite M30 PSM30A no go

eddie1
15-11-2007, 05:55 PM
Hi Guy's, I have a Toshiba M30 Laptop which will not start up at all. The following describes it's condition.
I understand it was intermittent before I got it, some times taking a long time to boot and sometimes sopping when laptop moved.
Will not start up.
Blue Power In LED on
Blue Computer On LED on when on when on switch is pressed and goes off when on button held down.
Orange Battery Charge LED on
Keyboard Function Green LED can switch on and off when used with F10 & F11
CD/DVD starts running when CD installed Ėruns up to full speed then stops. Ė Audio will not play when front CD controls are used.
No light or activity on LCD screen
No CPU Fan
No voltage on USB socket (USB mouse has no LED light)
Touch pad and computer underside gets warm (Battery charger ?)
Power can be turned off by holding down the power on button Ė then blue power LED goes out leaving DC IN and Charge on
Charge LED goes out when battery removed
No sound of any hard drive activity
No LEDís for HD, WiFi, CD etc although CD will flash briefly when power is first turned on. If the hard disk is removed itís blue LED lights up permanently
No Caps Lock LED
RAM chips appear warm when touched but this could be from charger circuits
Still does not operate if CD module and battery removed
I have not yet got at the mother board but would appreciate any comments from technicians and if there is anywhere one can get a circuit (or even a block diagram) would help me understand what happens when power is applied
Thanks
PS, Just occasionally it will burst into life and boot win XP but any activity will drop it back to reboot win or stop completely again. It would be nice to know what the start sequence was so I could trade where it stops.

CaptinMoor
15-11-2007, 06:32 PM
Well thats a real pickle. I think that we need to start at the begning. How old is this laptop.

Could it be that there is a connectivity problem / Short on the montherboard? Have you had the back off this laptop prior to it starting to acting strange?

I think that you have pretty much tested everything that could be the problem. However if its a short on the board this could be a real night mear to find.

How about if you remove as mush as possible from the board and try that. If yuo get a post then this should indicate that there is a fault with a part that you have removed. Remove the RAM, HDD, CD Everything. Just try and get it to post.

Failing this mate I would have to say you you may like to try and find another board and start trouble shooting the parts and transfer them over to the enw board.

Let me know if you find anythign else.

eddie1
16-11-2007, 10:02 AM
Thanks for those comments. I appreciate this is going to be difficult to fix but having worked in electronics for 40 odd years, I actually bought this understanding it's condition. I was told no one had fiddled with it and I am sure this is the case as the screws to dismantle it were factory tight and unmarked. What I really need is a step by step understanding of what the bios actually does. As I understand it, correct voltage power good signal is applied to bios chip which then goes away and applies code to the cpu which then in turn starts vatious items.
Yes, I did remove the wireless card, the 2 memory chips (one at a time) and swapped them. Removed CD and hard disk. The problem must be very early in the sequence as no beeps or screen are active. When it did work, I has full control of boot sequence, Bios settings etc and win XP loaded and ran fine - for a short time. Also cpu fan ran and warm air came out vents - so looks fine WHEN IT WORKS. Fan is clean and dust free so appears to have been in a clean environment. Unfortunately I am currently away from home and don't have available my oscilloscope or multi meter.

EviLClouD
16-11-2007, 12:11 PM
How old is your laptop? Because it may just need a battery replacement...

gibler
16-11-2007, 05:27 PM
Well the M30X at least has a class action law suit about the motherboard failures I gather. At least one Toshiba I looked at has dry/cracked solder joins where one of the small daughterboards plugs into the mainboard. There are take apart guides around the net.

eddie1
17-11-2007, 04:14 PM
Thanks for comments, it is about 3 years old. I am currently away from home so will not be able to do much until I return and get a scope and meter onto it. Did discover today that the CD player works as it should with the computer off and plays cd's fine so some part is ok. When trying to play MP3's it attempted to turn on the computer to use the MP3 decoder but that would not work.
Frankly, I am hoping it is dry joints on the pc as I have had years of practical experiance with this sort of problem.
Thanks
Eddie

eddie1
17-11-2007, 04:19 PM
Ment to comment re just a battery. - the bios checks this and displays on screen an error message - it is a rechargable Clock battery. There are no displays on screen, it does not get that far. I am also unable to get to POST or to set up the bios settings from F2 (although I could do so when it actually worked yesterday) I am suspecting PCB faults not switching on certain voltages etc. I would really like to hear from someone who understands the start sequence of a typical computer bios.

eddie1
18-11-2007, 09:48 AM
Thanks for all ideas. This is now solved. By pressing down in LH front corner, laptop will spring into life and as long as held down will run for hours. I am happy it is either a dry joint or a cracked connection and will be able to repair it when I get back home