PDA

View Full Version : External Hard Drive problem

jerrybali
15-11-2007, 03:59 PM
I have an IBM portable USB hard drive 40gb, separated into 2 drives/partitions.
Is there any reason why my work computer can only read one drive while an older work computer reads them both as does my newer computer at home.
V frustrating?
Any ideas greatly appreciated?
JerryBali

wainuitech
15-11-2007, 04:01 PM
What is the operating system on both the PC's that can and cant read the portable drive.
And what is the portable drives disk format NTFS or Fat.

Speedy Gonzales
15-11-2007, 04:03 PM
Whats it formatted in?

What version of Windows is on the other computers??

decibel
15-11-2007, 06:15 PM
I have similar problems with a USB drive wanting to take the same letter as an existing LAN drive.

For instance, the USB wants to be "G" and "H", but "H" is already taken as my home drive on the LAN.

You should be able to get the Admin guy to change it. (mine was changed to "Y" and "Z")

jerrybali
15-11-2007, 10:18 PM
thanks guys, i think decibel may be on the button here! my computer at work has another computer attached by a lan so it could well be reading that drive letter as the extra computer. But how do I change the drive letter on the external drive so its different to the lan connection.
Re other suggestions, work computer is XP and home and mobile ( which all read drive is one Vista and one XP), both of which work. as to other questions re fat system, no idea sorry! some of us just use computers but a few cents short of the $ when it comes to tech expertise!

georgeks
15-11-2007, 11:25 PM
Go to:
Administrative tools-Computer Management-Disk Management-(Right Click)-Change Drive Letter and Paths

I think that your problem originates from the fact that you have too many drives on the newer system. There is a WinXP issue/limitation about the number of Drive letters in use at any time, that's why the older system is able to see both partitions

JUST INSANE
16-11-2007, 05:14 PM
If you got harddrive space than backup the files and format the entire external drive to NTFS with 1 partition unless you have windows 98.

SHENGTON
16-11-2007, 06:09 PM
As what I understand of jerrybali is he couldn't see his portable USB drive on My Computer window.

If your Operating System is Windows 98 then you'll need a driver for that because Windows 98 don't support Universal Serial Bus ports. If you're using Windows XP, so no worries with that because it supports.

On how to change the drive letter just follow georgeks steps.

stormdragon
16-11-2007, 06:18 PM
I have an IBM portable USB hard drive 40gb, separated into 2 drives/partitions.
Is there any reason why my work computer can only read one drive.
JerryBali

Hes saying that he can't see one partition not the drive.

Just Insane I believe is referring to Win98 as it can't natively read NTFS which is what he suggested using. Not the fact that Win98 needs drivers for the USB device. :thumbs: