PDA

View Full Version : New PC. Any good??

tingle
15-11-2007, 11:41 AM
I've been itching to get myself a new PC. The one I bought (specs below) was in the store for $3400, just for the box, no screen, keyboard etc. which suited me as I have all that. Talked them down to $2800 with a 160GB media drive thrown in as well. I drive a hard bargin!, poor sales guy...
Anyhoo, just wondering what you thought. Is it a good machine? Did I do good?? or could I have done better? I know if I bought the parts and put it together myself I could have saved a bit, but I don't think I'm quite ready for that level of tech yet. I also know if you all tell me I did no good, that I'm stuck with it. but having said that, I guess I'm quite happy with it really.

HP Pavilion Media Center m8100 PC

Intel® Core™2 Quad processor Q6600
• 2.40 GHz, 4 MB Advanced Transfer Cache, 1066 MHz
Intel® G33 Express Chipset

Vista Ultimate

2 GB DDR2-SDRAM

5oo GB SATA 3G Hard Disk Drive 7200rpm

drive 1 - SuperMulti SATA Drive with Lightscribe Technology, Double Layer
drive 2 - HD DVD Player

nVidia GeForce 8600GT 3D PCI-Express Graphics card 512MB DDR2

thanks for any input!

cheers;)

beeswax34
15-11-2007, 11:49 AM
Funny thing, I got my friend the same one built with a 600GB or bigger HDD AND XP Pro AND a 19inch Philps monitor AND a logitech wireless combo AND a speaker system for about $1800.

Now it did have the GFX card that is one directly below yours and NO HD DVD player but if he did want one, he could just get the XBOX HD DVD player and attach it to his computer.

Now the question is, does this HD DVD player in your one justify a rise from about $1800 to $3400 PLUS monitor, keyboard etc as you'd need a nice monitor if you wanted to watch HD DVD's.

qazwsxokmijn
15-11-2007, 11:59 AM
You got ripped off quite significantly, IMO. Dick Smith/Noel Leeming etc?

tingle
15-11-2007, 12:08 PM
Ouch!

qazwsxokmijn
15-11-2007, 12:19 PM
Are you able to return it?

tingle
15-11-2007, 12:32 PM
not sure about that, have to check all the rules. but i probably could return it. had it for only 2 weeks.
where could i get better value for my $3k??

qazwsxokmijn
15-11-2007, 12:36 PM
If you can return it, then be sure that you do.

www.ascent.co.nz offers decent prices and excellent after sales service.
www.nzoczone.com from my experience have been excellent in prices and also provide good after sales services.

For now I'd stay away from QMB as one of its employee is a scammer still waiting to be caught.

wainuitech
15-11-2007, 12:39 PM
Before every one goes telling this person its a rip off, LOOK AT THE SPEC's.

It has a HD DVD - these Players/ Drives retail close to $1000.00 + on their own, where as a standard DVD writer is around the $65.00 mark.

This is a Blu-Ray writer (http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=354819), From Ascent - $1639.50

The cheapest from Ascent again (http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=360701) $1017.20

Slight difference in price some how.

So taking all that into consideration - I think tingle didn't do to bad for a name brand PC.
And think of all the "extra programs" that get thrown in:rolleyes: ;) You know what I mean.

qazwsxokmijn
15-11-2007, 12:44 PM
Ah, HD-DVD. Didn't see that one sorry.

Still, from pricespy total of a similar system would be around $2300. And with the $400 extra they should have given him an 8800GT instead.

steveroby
15-11-2007, 01:06 PM
.... but having said that, I guess I'm quite happy with it really.

isnt that all that matters really??

HP will ALLWAYS cost more than a generic, you pay for tried & true hardware
rather the the latest & greatest. No matter what you buy , you will allways find a better deal 2 weeks later, same with all PC's really.
(Personal preference, I never liked the Pavillions, the HP Corporate/Business
PC's seemed to be better)

I doubt you need a HD-DVD. You may have got a better deal in a PC without one
"HP Pavilion Media Center" : you probhably would get a better deal with a plain old "Workstation"
The CPU alone is $400 on price spy. Looks like its a quad core, you are paying
$$$ for the extra cores you will never use.
Add $1000(????) for the HD-DVD, $170 for a 500G HD, $150 for a 8600GT
Thats $1700+ right there

pctek
15-11-2007, 01:11 PM
$3400, just for the box, Talked them down to $2800
HP Pavilion Media Center m8100 PC

Intel® Core™2 Quad processor Q6600

Vista Ultimate

2 GB DDR2-SDRAM

5oo GB SATA 3G Hard Disk Drive 7200rpm

drive 1 - SuperMulti SATA Drive with Lightscribe Technology, Double Layer
drive 2 - HD DVD Player

nVidia GeForce 8600GT 3D PCI-Express Graphics card 512MB DDR2

Why bother asking NOW?? SHould have before you paid for it.
So what if it has an HD DVD - what the hell are you going to use that for? There isn't exactly much available in HD, apart from a few movies.

And thats meaningless, as always with HP/Dell/Acer etc.

What BRAND motherboard. In fact whats the MB specs even?

What speed DDR2? What brand RAM?
What brand HDD??
What brand DVD? Either of them........

And what BRAND graphics. Which is not great for gaming either.

They never tell you anything important.

And, of course, it had a rip-off 1 year warranty.

How do they get away with that? I mean, never mind we don't know about anything else but the CPU is a 3 yr warranty.

Graham L
15-11-2007, 01:16 PM
You will always be told you have been ripped off if you ask here about any "name brand" computer. And you will be told that adding up the cheapest prices from PriceSpy gives a much cheaper package. But you won't get a guarantee backed up by a single source that way.

You bought it, took it home, plugged it in. It works. You're happy with it.

Be happy.:D

tingle
15-11-2007, 01:42 PM
well i sorta feel a bit better now.
and i guess i can plug it into my lcd tv to watch the hd movies.
really appreciate all the input, thanks all.

beeswax34
15-11-2007, 04:52 PM
Before every one goes telling this person its a rip off, LOOK AT THE SPEC's.

It has a HD DVD - these Players/ Drives retail close to $1000.00 + on their own, where as a standard DVD writer is around the $65.00 mark.

This is a Blu-Ray writer (http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=354819), From Ascent - $1639.50

The cheapest from Ascent again (http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=360701) $1017.20

Slight difference in price some how.

So taking all that into consideration - I think tingle didn't do to bad for a name brand PC.
And think of all the "extra programs" that get thrown in:rolleyes: ;) You know what I mean.

Look at my post, I talk about using the XBOX 360's HD DVD player and that is MUCH cheaper. No idea what you're on about using others when this one is cheap as.

wainuitech
15-11-2007, 04:59 PM
Look at my post, I talk about using the XBOX 360's HD DVD player and that is MUCH cheaper. No idea what you're on about using others when this one is cheap as. Yeah Bees - fully agree:thumbs: The Xbox you suggested is a cheaper choice.

Every post I saw was saying the PC was expensive, but it also appeared that most were missing the fact it had a HD DVD not a standard dvd writer.

At the moment the HD players are still WAY to expensive, bit like all new Technology - after a while it drops in price.