PDA

View Full Version : Notebook fan replacement

Greg
15-11-2007, 07:05 AM
The fan on our laptop has started to struggle to start when powering up. A few taps on the mesh above it and it goes fine. The fan vents out of the top of the machine, above the keyboard, and I assume it's the CPU cooling fan.

My question is... is this a relatively easy thing to source and replace? Never had to fiddle with the insides of a laptop before other than add new RAM.

It's an Asus 2.5 years old - no idea of what the model is but the user manual cover has E1701 on it.

Thanks.

somebody
15-11-2007, 07:26 AM
You may find it isn't worthwhile replacing it. I got a quote for a replacement fan for my Acer laptop, and the price quoted (for the part only) was $170. This didn't include installation or anything like that.

Metla
15-11-2007, 10:53 AM
hmmm...If anyone is going to write off their laptop due to a faulty fan then I would be quite happy to pay for postage and packaging, and I'll take it off your hands.

I'll even pay an extra $5 so you can get yourself a coffee, Which you can drink while mulling over what a dumbass move that was.....

........Muhahahahahaha

qazwsxokmijn
15-11-2007, 11:08 AM
hmmm...If anyone is going to write off their laptop due to a faulty fan then I would be quite happy to pay for postage and packaging, and I'll take it off your hands.

I'll even pay an extra $5 so you can get yourself a coffee, Which you can drink while mulling over what a dumbass move that was.....
God I love you Metla. :D

Greg - what kind of fan is it? I have a couple of dead Acers that might use the same fan as yours. Does it look like a miniature X1950Pro AGP fan?

Greg
15-11-2007, 03:49 PM
Greg - what kind of fan is it? I have a couple of dead Acers that might use the same fan as yours. Does it look like a miniature X1950Pro AGP fan?Thanks mate, but I haven't got a clue. It can't be seen when the back panel is removed.

Incidently the model is an Asus A4000.

qazwsxokmijn
15-11-2007, 04:06 PM
If you take a pic of it I'll see if the fan is similar to my one.

somebody
15-11-2007, 04:08 PM
Thanks mate, but I haven't got a clue. It can't be seen when the back panel is removed.

Incidently the model is an Asus A4000.

I think you'll find you need to dismantle most of the case to be able to get to it. My old Acer laptop needed the entire case taken apart (about 20 screws later) to get access to the fan.

Renmoo
15-11-2007, 11:30 PM
CPU cooling fan? As far as I am aware of, even if you power up the CPU for one second without cooling assistance, it is long enough to kill it.

I normally get a magnet and hold the screws together if I am dealing with more than five of them.

Cheers :)

Greg
16-11-2007, 07:16 AM
CPU cooling fan? As far as I am aware of, even if you power up the CPU for one second without cooling assistance, it is long enough to kill it.
Nah, the system will almost certainly crash before irreperable damage is done.