PDA

View Full Version : Mobo Missing Lan Adaptor!?

not.my.s0ck
14-11-2007, 08:56 PM
I recently built a new PC with an Asus P5k motherboard and have been using wireless internet until the internet guy wired in a router for upstairs.

However, when I plug the ethernet cable in, theres no internet! Its notan issue with the wiring, cable or modem but infact Windows Vista Ultimate just won't recognise the LAN adaptor. Whats going on? I can't even update the drivers because it says the system cant find the hardware.

Do I need to buy a new LAN card?

CYaBro
14-11-2007, 09:02 PM
The Asus P5k has onboard LAN.

Did you install all the drivers that came supplied on the mainboard CD?

Also check in the BIOS as the onboard LAN may be disabled.

Speedy Gonzales
14-11-2007, 09:03 PM
Did u install the drivers??

That might help.

Looks like this is the 32/bit drivers for Vista (http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/lan/Attansic/AttansicL1_lan_V2060000_vista.zip)

Thats if youve got the P5k (without anything extra on the end of it). There's 18 other P5K mobos

not.my.s0ck
14-11-2007, 09:04 PM
I've tried, tried from the CD and also downloaded others online.

Everytime I run the setup, an error comes p saying that it cannot find L1 Assansic LAN adaptor.

CYaBro
14-11-2007, 09:05 PM
I've tried, tried from the CD and also downloaded others online.

Everytime I run the setup, an error comes p saying that it cannot find L1 Assansic LAN adaptor.

Sounds like it is disabled in the BIOS then.

not.my.s0ck
14-11-2007, 09:07 PM
Nope, went into the BIOS and checked. Its enabled and just to be safe, I also enabled the ROM emulation. Still nothing. The lights at the back don't respond to anything either : /

EDIT: Also, I have the SE edition

Speedy Gonzales
14-11-2007, 09:12 PM
Did u configure it then??

If its connected to the router, is the LED on the router on?

Does the router have the ip of your LAN in it??

Well that MAKES a diff then, the SE bit.

Altho it looks like its the same driver I posted above, its the same size.

not.my.s0ck
14-11-2007, 09:15 PM
Routers fine. Data goes through the hole in the wall and through the cable fine but then stops at the computer

wainuitech
14-11-2007, 09:22 PM
Is it disable in the device manager ?

If it is then you may have to rerun the network detection wizard to accept the Wired LAN.

Had that problem with a customers Vista Business laptop that was on Wireless.

Speedy Gonzales
14-11-2007, 09:23 PM
Yer, but the connection your cable is in, is the LED on the front of the router for it on??

not.my.s0ck
14-11-2007, 09:24 PM
Its not even visible in the device manager, is it a problem with Windows Vista Ultimate or with my motherboard?

No the light isn't on. What I tried though was unplugging it from downstairs and just getting the modem and plugging the ethernet into the LAN plug - the light wouldn't turn on.

Speedy Gonzales
14-11-2007, 09:28 PM
HOW many drivers did u install for the LAN??

Hopefully, just the ones off the cd or the site?

Look in device manager? Anything there with a ?

wainuitech
14-11-2007, 09:35 PM
Can you take a screen shot of the device manager, and post it back here so we can see whats there or not there as the case may be please.

not.my.s0ck
14-11-2007, 09:43 PM
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/4214/devicemanagerrr7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Device Manager

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/5779/diagnosticvf6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Windows Diagnostic

Speedy; I can't install ANY drivers, it won't let me because it can't find the LAN adaptor at all

Speedy Gonzales
14-11-2007, 09:49 PM
Click on ALL of the +'s as well

I'll get the manual and check it out

not.my.s0ck
14-11-2007, 09:52 PM
It should be a main heading under 'Network Adaptors'. As you can see, its not there but I'll send a screenshot anyway, just abit of a hassle.

Here:

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/8827/bigshotrd0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Warning, its big

I'm off to bed. Thanks everyone so far thats helped. Its not looking good, might have to contact the store for a refund or something but that means taking everything off and reinstalling it which is such a hassle...

Any ideas would be great.

Speedy Gonzales
14-11-2007, 10:05 PM
Ok, well all I can see in the manual is:

Onboard PCIE GB LAN (enabled) which should be on enabled.

What about Plug and Play O/S, is this on Yes?

CYaBro
14-11-2007, 10:06 PM
Hmmm it's not showing there and if you say it is enabled in the BIOS then I'd say it looks like a faulty board.
Perhaps a BIOS update might fix it but I doubt it.

wainuitech
15-11-2007, 08:25 AM
Its not even visible in the device manager, is it a problem with Windows Vista Ultimate or with my motherboard?

Before you start disassembling every thing I would first try this.
Reset the BIOS back to default then double check the LAN is not switched off
Look in Remove programs, see if any LAN drivers are showing, if they are, remove them, reboot and it it still wont detect try this-----
Down load or borrow a copy of Knoppix (http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html) , a Live Linux CD, start the PC from the bootable Live CD, and see if Linux will pick up /detect & Configure the LAN port.
If it does, then there is some sort of screwed up software in Vista. If the Live CD wont detect the Port - the boards faulty or something not right in the BIOS.

not.my.s0ck
16-11-2007, 08:38 PM
Ok, I've got Knoppix running from the boot disk on my PC, how do I find out if its dectected my LAN port?

Speedy Gonzales
16-11-2007, 08:45 PM
Try getting on the net, see if u get anywhere.

Or see if the LED's on the NIC or whatever are on and doing something.

not.my.s0ck
16-11-2007, 08:51 PM
Well, thing is, all that I've done is booted from the Live CD. I have absolutely no clue what to do after that or what commands to input.

wainuitech
16-11-2007, 09:05 PM
This will be fun, Im writing this from the Knoppix Live CD - No HD LOL. hmmmm red writing interesting, may show correctly ( I Hope) If this is in red dont blame me !

With Knoppix every thing is Single click - double will open things twice---

Ok once CD is running - Single click on the penguin next to the K (Start button in Windows) look for Network/Internet > Network Card Configuration > Agree to every thing and it should pick up the LAN connection. Open the browser Konqueror on the task bar Looks Like the world in blue with half a star. It should open the internet. If it does the LAN cards fine.

If when you hit configuration it cant locate the LAN connection thats a good sign the Ports dead.

Hint: when you first are loading Knoppix - soon after it goes through " hot - Plug Hardware / Autoconfiguring it will look for the LAN port - you have to be quick but it will say if its located one or not.

not.my.s0ck
16-11-2007, 09:13 PM
Ok, I don't even have a mouse when I load mine. It boots with a splash screen with german or whatever language it happens to be. When I press enter to boot, it comes up with red writing and an error (again...ugh..) 'Can't find KNOPPIX file system, sorry! Dropping you to a very limited shell'

Ugh...thanks so much for all the trouble you guys are going through to try and help

Speedy Gonzales
16-11-2007, 09:19 PM
Looks like that error can appear, when you're using crap cd's to burn the ISO to CD.

not.my.s0ck
16-11-2007, 09:25 PM
Well, I found this on the FAQ;

Q: How do I get Knoppix to boot Knoppix when it tells me that it can't find the KNOPPIX filesystem and is dropping me to a shell?

A: The full error is:

Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.

Welcome to the KNOPPIX live Linux-on-CD!

Scanning for USB/Firewire devices... Done.
Enabling DMA acceleration for: hda [Maxtor 2B020H1]
Enabling DMA acceleration for: hda [LTN486S]
Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.
Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.
Press reset button to quit.

Additional buitin commands available:
cat mount umount
inmod rmmod lsmod

knoppix# _

Knoppix does the very best it can to automatically figure out what hardware the PC has & it does this without human intervention. DMA is a feature that speeds up data tranfer on IDE devices such as CDROM drive& HD drives. Some chipsets and/or harddiscs are broken or buggy. Using DMA would cause problems on such systems and in many many cases, if the CDROM drive does not support DMA then it fails to fully boot Knoppix from the CDR. DMA was enabled by default in Knoppix 3.4 through 3.7 and has been disabled in 3.8.x and up. To boot Knoppix 3.4 through 3.7 and get around this DMA problem, I boot knoppix with the following Cheat Codes:

knoppix nodma

I know that my Harddrive is SATA and so is my CD drive, so therefore it should work right? I'll give it a go re-burning it to another disc

wainuitech
16-11-2007, 09:32 PM
You don't actually even have to have a Hard drive attached , when I did the post before , it was on a customers PC that had no Drive - it wasn't till it was booting that I remembered / saw the drive was attached as a second on workshop PC doing a virus scan. (must stop working so late):dogeye:

Try burning the ISO image at the slowest speed the Writer will go - will take longer but less chance of a failure / corruption.

not.my.s0ck
16-11-2007, 09:36 PM
I burnt again but still didn't work. I'm going to try on this PC. I'll get back to ya with how it goes

Safari
16-11-2007, 09:39 PM
Post count up to 25 so far.
Would it not be easier to get a new LAN card and try that, they don't cost much.

not.my.s0ck
16-11-2007, 09:54 PM
Maybe its just primal instinct, I wanna fix it :p

New LAN card is last resort and I have exams soon, the less internet I have, the less distractions from studying :)

Booted up fine on this computer, still has error on the one upstairs.

lobster
04-02-2008, 07:35 PM
I have same mobo (asus p5k) and same problem :(. There is no lan adaptor in windows XP. And the lan connector (rj45) diodes are not blinking when I plug in the cable. That is strange cos I have tried to connect 2 others PCs and both were blinking after connection without even windows start up. And yes it's definitely enabled in bios.

Have u solved it yet???

It look's like HW error to me (although mobo seems ok - lan chip soldered nicely)

Speedy Gonzales
04-02-2008, 08:36 PM
Looks like this is a common prob with this mobo (http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20071208012508202&board_id=1&model=P5K&SLanguage=en-us&page=1)

This is for the P5K (may apply to the P5K SE).

And one of the posts above say:

Well I can confirm, that when I moved the USB header in the central USB header from 1112 to one of the corner USB headers 78, my Ethernet adapter magically appeared, however, now my USB keyboard is no longer working, the USB mouse is ok, but the keyboard no workies, so now I am going to move it to the USB header next to it and see what happens.

And another post says:

So if unpluging USB1112 works does this mean I can not use those ports?

Thanks,
FZ

**Update**

Well I just removed the connector and what do you know I have LAN and PATA.

A standard USB header has the cable shield on the last two pins on the header.

One of these pins lines up to the single pin on the motherboard and if its grounded no LAN or PATA. I removed the pin and all is well.