PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Help - Recover Data

Espresso_Addict
14-11-2007, 08:10 PM
Evening all, my daughter's pc recently died( I suspect motherboard), I want to recover some of the data of her hard drive and transfer onto her new pc.
Just wanting to check that I'm on the right track. Is this how its done, Change the jumpers on the new drive to 'master'. Change the old drive to 'Slave'. Connect them via ribbon to motherboard, system will boot of the master disk and I should be able to access the older disk?? Does this sound right? Any advice or help greatly appreciated as she would love to recover her family photos. Regards, Grant

Speedy Gonzales
14-11-2007, 08:14 PM
Yup.

Then you may have to do this (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421)

Even tho you're not reinstalling Windows (If its XP).

Altho, if the new one is running in this new system, it should be master now, just jumper that old one as slave. If youre connecting it to this new system.

Espresso_Addict
14-11-2007, 08:44 PM
Hey thanks for that Speedy

Yeah both systems are running xp( orry forgot to add that info)
The newer one actually has the jumpers set as 'Cable Select'
and to be honest I'm not sure what that means, but at a guess would it be for a system with one drive only??

Speedy Gonzales
14-11-2007, 08:58 PM
Actually, I dunno why people put these things on cable select.

As some systems dont know what it is. And wont boot.

I've never put anything on CS. Only master or slave.

A system with only 1 hdd, will work happily on Master too.

wainuitech
14-11-2007, 09:30 PM
Actually, I dunno why people put these things on cable select.

As some systems dont know what it is. And wont boot.

I've never put anything on CS. Only master or slave.

A system with only 1 hdd, will work happily on Master too.

Just about every Seagate IDE drive I get when new is set to CS by default - like yourself the first thing I do is change it to Master if its a single drive.

Sweep
14-11-2007, 11:01 PM
Just about every Seagate IDE drive I get when new is set to CS by default - like yourself the first thing I do is change it to Master if its a single drive.

I have never set any hard drives to CS.
Agreed.