PDA

View Full Version : Password for USB flash drive

Bazman
14-11-2007, 07:37 PM
i have a Transcend USB 2.5 inch flash drive. so one that doesn't need it's own power source. dunno if that's relevant or not, but anyhow, is there a way i can put a password so that nobody has access to my files?

i mean, it's just like a hard drive, so anyone can just click on the drive icon to see what's on it. is there a way so when they click on this icon, they have to enter a password first?

thank you

PaulD
14-11-2007, 07:46 PM
Try http://www.truecrypt.org/

Bazman
14-11-2007, 08:47 PM
thanks, do you use this application too?

i'm just wondering about something

Bazman
14-11-2007, 08:52 PM
if i understand it correctly, this app is useful if you're always using the flash drive at a particular computer. i'm looking more at sort of a like a "virtual" lock on the usb drive.

that when ever the drive is plugged into a computer, before anyone can access the drive/partition etc they'll be prompted for a pw first. i such a thing possible?

Speedy Gonzales
14-11-2007, 09:08 PM
Buy a U3 flash disk. Or one that comes with pw protection.

The only thing is, if u forget the pw, byebye data it'll wipe it.

After so many tries.

Scouse
14-11-2007, 09:24 PM
Hi Bazman. I Use a Lexar "Jumpdrive" which came with a password programme installed and reqires a password to activate it.

Bazman
14-11-2007, 09:35 PM
thanks for the suggestions. i guess for large external drives, there is no protection i'm looking for. so if i wanna have music or videos on the flash i don't want people to view or listen to, i guess i won't put it on there.

these u3 and jumpdrive ideas sound interesting for when i wanna protect documents and files that i wish to pw protect. thanks

Speedy Gonzales
14-11-2007, 09:53 PM
With the U3 ones, you can also install programs on them, (made specifically for U3 drives), and they've got their own menu.

Whatever you install on them, doesnt put anything on a pc or the registry

And once you remove one, there's nothing left of what you did (if u use a program thats on it).

Everything is stored on it.