PDA

View Full Version : Start up issue.

Growler
14-11-2007, 07:08 PM
I am in the proceeds of building a machine from spare parts for the old man.
He has given me this P4 motherboard and CPU.
I have hooked everything I need to fire it up and that is where my first problem starts.
When I power it up everything seems to get power (The CPU and PSU fans are going and the DVD drive lights are on but I get nothing on-screen.
It seem the monitor isn't getting a signal from the motherboard to actually switch on. I have tried different monitors, graphics card and memory sticks with no luck.
Is there a way to test the motherboard to see if that is shot?
How can I check to see if it still contains all of the bios settings?
Any ideas?

Growler.

Speedy Gonzales
14-11-2007, 07:21 PM
Did you plug the 12v ATX adapter from the PSU, into the mobo adapter as well?

And plug the cpu fan in?

Whats the brand/model of the mobo and whats the speed of the CPU?

Well u cant check the BIOS if it doesnt turn on.

If its got a speaker, is it beeping more than once??

When you press the on button?

I take it a hdd is connected somewhere?

wainuitech
14-11-2007, 07:22 PM
What is the motherboard make and model ?

Usually if you keep hitting DELETE on startup, that will take you into the BIOS, depending on what make, it may be another Key though.

If it wont even boot to get the BIOS on the screen then, trying to enter it will be pointless - cant see anything :D

Does the board have onboard graphics as well, if it does, remove the graphic card and use that.

Growler
15-11-2007, 08:17 AM
I will have to check tonight what the motherboard make is.
I received the board with the CPU already connected. I have checked the connections and everything is as it should be.
All power leads that need to be connected are connected.
Not sure about the on-board graphics. Again will check tonight.

Growler.

CYaBro
15-11-2007, 09:40 AM
Do you have another PSU to try?

Also I would try the mainboard with only the necessary bits to make it boot - PSU, RAM, CPU and video - Disconnect everything else.

Growler
15-11-2007, 11:40 AM
Do you have another PSU to try?

Also I would try the mainboard with only the necessary bits to make it boot - PSU, RAM, CPU and video - Disconnect everything else.

Yes I do. I will try that as well. At the moment it is the barest of everything.
PSU, RAM, CPU and video card. I also have a brand new hard drive connected that I will disconnect as well.

Growler.

Speedy Gonzales
15-11-2007, 11:50 AM
Dont d/c the hdd, or you may not get anything at all.

It needs one to get something, or to boot.

CYaBro
15-11-2007, 12:43 PM
Dont d/c the hdd, or you may not get anything at all.

It needs one to get something, or to boot.

Not true, the mainboard will still post and you should be able to get into the BIOS, although I have seen some boards that won't let you into the BIOS and you just get a screen saying 'No Bootable devices found' but at least you will know that the mainboard is working :D

Growler
15-11-2007, 03:37 PM
Not true, the mainboard will still post and you should be able to get into the BIOS, although I have seen some boards that won't let you into the BIOS and you just get a screen saying 'No Bootable devices found' but at least you will know that the mainboard is working :D

I will try it both ways just to be sure!

Growler.

Growler
15-11-2007, 09:58 PM
OK...All I can find re: the motherboard is that it is a Rhino 845 - A4E.
Doing a search online suggests it's manufactured by Octek and is either an R1 or R5
http://support.octek.com.au/Products/MainBoards/P4/Intel/mb_p4_i_02.htm
Unfortunately I don't have the manual but the above site has an online manual.
CPU is a P4 1.6

I tried the "disconnect battery for 10 minutes" to reset the CMOS some time ago but that didn't work. I have tried another power supply and that didn't work either.

Growler.

Growler.

Speedy Gonzales
15-11-2007, 10:50 PM
If u were in Auckland / Mt Eden, you could bring it here.

I could try another CPU, then we'll know whether the mobo or cpu is stuffed.

If it doesnt work.

I think the 2.4 I ripped off another mobo still works.

Growler
16-11-2007, 08:20 AM
Where abouts in Mount Eden? I work in Sandringham so I'm 10 mins away.

Growler.

Speedy Gonzales
16-11-2007, 09:29 AM
View Rd, off the top end of Dominion Road. before you go into town.

If u decide to come up, come about 1/4 to 3 - 3 this arvo. Or tomorrow morning if u like.

Just bring the case, and a kb/mouse, I've got spare monitors.

Might need some thermal paste tho. The CPU here hasnt got any on it.

lightfoot
17-11-2007, 02:48 PM
Very nice offer Speedy.

I heard that if the mobo does not have a cpu, it usually beeps. If it does not beep, then guess a fried mobo. Have you tried that taken the cpu out?

erika
17-11-2007, 11:07 PM
If the mobo speaker is functioning then you should hear some beeps. And usually those beeps could tell you whats wrong but if its the mobo then I dont think it will beep in anyway.

I suspect either the mobo is shot (bec you tried different VC, Ram and PSU) or theres something wrong with pin connector to the VC.

erika
17-11-2007, 11:12 PM
I will have to check tonight what the motherboard make is.
I received the board with the CPU already connected. I have checked the connections and everything is as it should be.
All power leads that need to be connected are connected.
Not sure about the on-board graphics. Again will check tonight.

Growler.

You can easily tell if the mobo has a connection for the monitor, if theres none then there no onboard video card.

george12
18-11-2007, 12:12 AM
I heard that if the mobo does not have a cpu, it usually beeps. If it does not beep, then guess a fried mobo. Have you tried that taken the cpu out?

Not true. You're probably thinking of RAM.

The beeps come from the POST routine (power on self test). The computer cannot run this test if it doesn't have a CPU to run it!

Taking the RAM out, however, should trigger some beeps.