PDA

View Full Version : Windows 98 Refusing to Load

28-03-2001, 09:13 PM
Hello,
A few days ago I decided to ring up ihug about my Satelite card not working, which there was a problem with IRQ's I moved some boards around on my motherboard and restarted and I could use the card. Today I booted up when the system just hung (well, the cursor was still flashing) after the dos bit before going into windows.
I tried bootlog - nothing, safe mode - it works but I don't know what to do there.
scanreg - no help, I get the error - registry restore operation failed.
I have reinstalled windows 2wice, 1st time it worked but there were heaps of explorer problems and other stuff that I couldn't make out.
I don't see what could have done this. I haven't installed anything big that could do this.
I'm running Windows 98 on an AMD Athon 1GHz, 512Mb ram, 60BG hard drive, SB Live, Geforce 2 GTS, SM200D Satelite card.

Thanks,
Philip Quinn.

29-03-2001, 10:45 AM
Hi Philip

I'd recommend taking the satcard out, and see if you can config the PC to work again. If so, make a MANUAL copy of the registry (I use a different directory) and install the satcard + software again. The backup is there to get your PC back FAST if things go wrong again.

Cheers, Gunter

29-03-2001, 05:53 PM
I found out that after a while of windows just hanging, I get the error - I/O Subsystem error. Which I think could be the cause of the problem.