PDA

View Full Version : WiFi for Free?

kahawai chaser
13-11-2007, 12:11 PM
A friend of mine who lives in flat bush, adjacent to botany downs, has just happily discovered he can access the internet via WiFi seemingly for free. He does not have a ISP account. We just want to know would it be really free, and why it would be free. I guess the supplier/owner would have a ultimate purpose for allowing free WiFi...

Speedy Gonzales
13-11-2007, 12:13 PM
Depends who he's going through. Or how he's getting on the net.

Could be someone who hasnt secured their network.

Theres a few wireless networks around here. I managed to get onto a Woosh connection using a laptop I was fixing.

Because it wasnt secure.

kahawai chaser
13-11-2007, 12:25 PM
Not sure who he is going through or how, and I did not think about WiFi security from others. But will find out. Maybe there's a program or procedure to trace the signal to get specifics? I know botany downs/east tamaki is a relatively compact hub of industrial and retail/commercial zones (at least 10, 000 people work and visit there, and increasing), maybe there's a provider of WiFi there somewhere...

Thanks...

maccrazy
13-11-2007, 01:38 PM
As Speedy Gonzales says, it will be someone who is running a wireless network but has neglected to secure it. From my house I can pick up three wireless networks which are sharing their internet connection with the world. I doubt they are intentionally providing their neighbourhood with free internet access at their own expense.

stu161204
13-11-2007, 01:39 PM
A friend of mine who lives in flat bush, adjacent to botany downs, has just happily discovered he can access the internet via WiFi seemingly for free.

I know around botany downs town centre has a few wifi hotspots…

Does you friend live near any shops in flat bush?

But I think your friend has found someone’s unsecured wireless network.

beeswax34
13-11-2007, 03:44 PM
Btw, he shouldn;t be using any networks he just "found" because

A. It could be someone who just forgot or neglected to secure their network and thus your friend is using it illegally and

B. It could be a trap whereby whoever is running that network can simply look at any details and webpages that your friend looks at in order to get bank details and passwords etc.

Billy T
13-11-2007, 05:33 PM
Btw, he shouldn't be using any networks he just "found" because it could be a trap whereby whoever is running that network can simply look at any details and webpages that your friend looks at in order to get bank details and passwords etc.

A honey trap. Sweet as, until it all goes wrong.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

bob_doe_nz
13-11-2007, 06:50 PM
This is why you don't steal other peoples wireless internet... (http://blizzmax.com/?p=900)

kahawai chaser
13-11-2007, 09:18 PM
As mentioned by stu161204, my mate's house is indeed "inline" between two blocks of upmarket cafe's, clubs, apartments, and professional business offices (Ormiston rd and Chapel rd if anyone knows those shops). But the straight line distance is about 150 m for both. May be receiving the signal from there, either from one of the cafe's (but for free?), or as mentioned in this thread, from a unsecure private/personal source. The whole area is expanding with even more businesses, trendy shops, housing, and so on. This is new to us about WiFi, so should we somehow try to locate the source? and further investigate any potential legal issues? Also I think some of his neighbours work for, or own computer companies, judging by the amount of computer hardware discarded when they had the inorganic collection..

kahawai chaser
13-11-2007, 09:21 PM
As mentioned by stu161204, my mate's house is indeed "inline" between two blocks of upmarket cafe's, clubs, apartments, and professional business offices (Ormiston rd and Chapel rd if anyone knows those shops). But the straight line distance is about 150 m for both. May be receiving the signal from there, either from one of the cafe's (but for free?), or as mentioned in this thread, from a unsecure private/personal source. The whole area is expanding with even more businesses, trendy shops, housing, and so on. This is new to us about WiFi, so should we somehow try to locate the source? and further investigate any potential legal issues? Also I think some of his neighbours work for, or own computer companies, judging by the amount of stripped computer hardware discarded when they had the inorganic collection...

Speedy Gonzales
13-11-2007, 09:57 PM
Depending on HOW or where in Windows he connected from. It may have shown the name of this wireless network.

All you or he had to do was click on it, and click on connect.

It would have also shown, whether it was secure or not encrypted.

beeswax34
14-11-2007, 01:19 AM
For the time being, until further details are found: DONT USE IT!