PDA

View Full Version : Harddrive making ticking sound..????

Ninjabear
13-11-2007, 07:19 AM
I just receive my harddrive back from the shop for warranty issues

It just came back the same.

I tried two external usb casing for the 320GB IDE harddrive

When i plug it in the harddrive causes a ticking sound like a stop watch

It doesn't make a slight spin then make clicking sound so I think the harddrive isn't a problem

The power light turns on but there's another green light that just blinks

Does anyone know what the problem is?

darroll
13-11-2007, 07:50 AM
The "green light" means it's spinning.
This could be caused by your Windows? OS looking for viruses.
I would give it a few days.
Sometimes my HD clicks also and then after awile it quits..
d

Ninjabear
13-11-2007, 07:58 AM
I scanned using Nod32 and i have no viruses on my computer

Ninjabear
13-11-2007, 07:59 AM
The "green light" means it's spinning.
This could be caused by your Windows? OS looking for viruses.
I would give it a few days.
Sometimes my HD clicks also and then after awile it quits..
d

I simply unplug the usb and just plug the power adaptor and it makes the ticking sound also

SurferJoe46
13-11-2007, 08:01 AM
In spite of naysayers, XP does a little file-shifting and correcting things when you are not using the hdd actively.

It's sometimes an XP-thing...and should abate in a short while.

Did you install Google Desktop? It too is very busy for a while as are any other indexing services.

If the ticking does not stop, can you say "ka-boom?" :badpc:

OIC..you just counter-posted...so never mind my answer.

PaulD
13-11-2007, 08:47 AM
I just receive my harddrive back from the shop for warranty issues

It just came back the same.

Do you mean you had a problem with the drive and you've been sent the same drive back? What was the original problem?

wratterus
13-11-2007, 08:52 AM
Clicking?? Never good.

If it's under warranty and ANYTHING is wrong, stop mucking around with it and take it back.

pctek
13-11-2007, 09:17 AM
What brand is the HDD? Does it do this if you plug it directly into your PC via IDE?
I'd take it back and ask for a new one. Check the serial number on it to make sure it really is a new one.

Ninjabear
13-11-2007, 09:53 AM
The reason I sent it back because it was making the ticking sound.

Clicking sound is different and this is not the case.

Its a Seagate harddrive

MaXimus
13-11-2007, 02:50 PM
I had a Sony laptop with the same issue! The hard-drive experienced a very hard shock and is probably dead or in its last days! Replace!

Ninjabear
13-11-2007, 03:33 PM
I called the computer shop

Here's what they said

They attached my harddrive into the casing it makes the tick sound

They attached their own harddrive into the casing it doesn't make any sound and works fine

They put my harddrive directly into the computer and it works fine

My old casing and the new casing fitted with my harddrive it makes the ticking sound

The harddrive that was fitted with my old casing worked for a few months then it started making tick sound

Soo..Is this a mystery still?

Ninjabear
13-11-2007, 03:33 PM
If say I took my 80GB harddrive from my computer and asked the shop to directly copy everything into the 320GB harddrive how much is it likely to cost?

Anyone know?

PaulD
13-11-2007, 03:47 PM
A quick search on "usb housing seagate clicking sound" produces some posts where a Seagate drive just made clicking sounds and it turned out to be the power supply in the housing. How cheap were the housings?

Found other refs to housings only supporting drives up to a certain size, this is probably power related.

Ninjabear
13-11-2007, 03:51 PM
I used a power supply which came with the original casing which costed $60NZ altogether

wainuitech
13-11-2007, 04:23 PM
If say I took my 80GB harddrive from my computer and asked the shop to directly copy everything into the 320GB harddrive how much is it likely to cost?

Anyone know? Depends how they charge, If its by the Hour then what ever their hourly rate is. Estimated I would say no more than 1 hours worth, shouldn't take any longer than that.

Has the 80Gb drive got all the Operating system installed ( Main drive) or is it only a drive you use for storage ? If its only a storage drive, connect it by your USB case and copy /paste across.

If its the MAIN drive you can do it yourself if you feel able. Down Load the Free Seagate DiscWizard (http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/discwizard) Install it on the PC and then attach your 320 Gb Drive as a Slave and simply clone the drive 80Gb to 320Gb.

On that site Provide in the languages (bottom) , on the left is the Program 105Mb in size, on the left is the Manual 1.3Mb

PaulD
13-11-2007, 04:25 PM
I used a power supply which came with the original casing

My old casing and the new casing fitted with my harddrive it makes the ticking sound

The harddrive that was fitted with my old casing worked for a few months then it started making tick sound

Soo..Is this a mystery still?

No mystery, I'd guess that this power supply has something wrong with it as it is the only common link to 2 drives ticking. What brand so others can avoid :)

JUST INSANE
13-11-2007, 08:25 PM
You said you used an usb encloser, i used to have some problems with those some power inverter's were badly made and made the harddrive overheat so that could be one possibility.

JUST INSANE
13-11-2007, 08:27 PM
What brand is the encloser.
Good brands are Welland, Cooler Master. They have the best design and highest ranking in benchmarks.

Ninjabear
13-11-2007, 09:13 PM
The enclosure is phillips

JUST INSANE
13-11-2007, 09:29 PM
Man from what i know Phillips, Sony and well known brands don't make enclosers.
Try getting the brands i named above.

Ninjabear
14-11-2007, 02:38 PM
I got the harddrive back today

The guy says at first it detected the full 320GB but then afterwards when he plugged it out and plugged it back in to the computer it stated 7.5GB free space

I thought maybe there were something wrong with the harddrive so i bought another 320GB off their shop at $154.I took it back home just now and it makes the ticking sound again!!!!!!!!!!!

I ordered a Black Cyclone Enclosure off a website now as it stated it supports up to 750GB.So I hope it works

JUST INSANE
16-11-2007, 05:38 PM
The drive is likely to fail after a while, did you drop that drive.
The encloser is not recommended as black cyclone is not a real brand. Try getting cooler master, vantec, welland.