PDA

View Full Version : Cellphone reboots pc !

Morpheus1
12-11-2007, 09:34 PM
Weird. What to do?

After transferring files using a USB connection, to or from the cellphone, the phone turns off and the pc reboots. [Sony Ericsson k800i - WinXP Home] The reboot happens after the USB cable is unplugged or if the cellphone is turned off with the cable still plugged in.

The cellphone user manual does state that the phone will turn off, so this is normal, but of course the pc should not be affected. I rang Sony Ericsson NZ help desk, twice, talking to two different people, and they did not have a clue. Google results were nil.

An infrared connection does not cause problems. Have not tried bluetooth - don't have it yet.

The user manual does say to "right click the removable disk icon in Windows Explorer and select Eject", then to unplug the cable. I cannot see any removable disk icon in Windows Explorer, but there is the usual green icon in the system tray at the bottom right of the screen and I do click on that to get the "safe to remove" message.

In My Computer, I do not see the cellphone, that is, there is no new drive letter, as I see when using flash cards and sticks. But if I leave the cellphone connected when the pc reboots, I see that the cellphone is detected in the DOS-type start up text (before Windows starts) as 2 drives: the added memory stick and the phone memory.

Went to Device Manager - all working OK, so it says. Ticked and unticked something but that made no difference.

Drivers seemed to install OK, from the CD supplied with the cellphone. The "PC Suite" would not install and work properly; SE help desk advised to download an updated version of this PC Suite but this still did not work and then the help desk admitted they knew the PC Suite did have problems and emailed me a rather complex way around the issue - but instead of wasting time on that %X$!# advice, I found My Phone Explorer, a free download that even has the SE icon and it works perfectly.

What to do? I can live with having the pc reboot I guess, but maybe there is a solution to this problem?

Thanks.

drcspy
13-11-2007, 04:43 AM
The user manual does say to "right click the removable disk icon in Windows Explorer and select Eject", then to unplug the cable. I cannot see any removable disk icon in Windows Explorer, but there is the usual green icon in the system tray at the bottom right of the screen and I do click on that to get the "safe to remove" message.

you got it there......just they have used slightly wrong terminology....'windows explorer'......nah it's in the system tray (lower rh side of screen)

otherwise it sounds to me like some kinda usb problem ........can you replicate the prob with other usb devices ?

Morpheus1
13-11-2007, 05:47 AM
otherwise it sounds to me like some kinda usb problem ........can you replicate the prob with other usb devices ?

Never had a problem like this before. Other USB devices are fine. I use USB memory sticks and camera mem cards.

Would it be a good idea to replace the drivers from the Sony Ericsson website? The SE help desk did not mention that there were updated drivers but there may be. Or is the reboot problem not associated with the drivers?

SurferJoe46
13-11-2007, 05:57 AM
If you've got XP..as I do, I don't understand about the need to tell the 'puter that you're gonna unplug a USB device.

XP handles it very well even without any hint from you that you're gonna jerk a plug out or put one in. I just wait until I don't have any read-write activity going on before I yank (the verb this time) it out.

I plug and un-plug merrily anything, cameras, phones, Palms and Sansa all at will and without using that silly GUI.

You aren't using a hub for the USB...are you? Maybe thats a problem.. I think most hubs drop the USB2 to a default USB1.0 or so and that might be a cause.

Most devices that require a USB2 minimum will complain with a toast pop-up if you try to use a hub.

I know you know all this..but sometimes even I (<gasp!> forget the very basic stuff and can spin wheels trying to solve something that was very easy..... using rocket science.

Morpheus1
13-11-2007, 06:40 AM
Thanks SJ.

I do have a USB hub but not using it with the cellphone. BTW, I did not know about hubs dropping down to USB1.0.

Re: The basic stuff - yeah, I know, I forget the basics now and again. :blush:

SurferJoe46
13-11-2007, 08:05 AM
Thanks SJ.

I do have a USB hub but not using it with the cellphone. BTW, I did not know about hubs dropping down to USB1.0.

Re: The basic stuff - yeah, I know, I forget the basics now and again. :blush:

The USB-hub things...

Yeah...every one I buy drops to USB1...but that might just be my misfortune..as I am sure there are some that don't act this way.

Sure as green grapes, someone will correct that statement by me...just you watch and see!

Speedy Gonzales
13-11-2007, 08:26 AM
It depends if the hub is 1.1. If it is then it'll run at 1.1 speed not USB 2 speed.

Even if its plugged into a USB 2 port.

Altho, not all USB devices will work properly when plugged into a USB hub either.

Have you tried other USB ports? It sounds like the port is knackered.

Is the port it was plugged in, at the front or the back of the case??

And if its at the front, is this a system you built?? If it is, then it maybe wired / connected wrong on the mobo.

Cameras shouldnt be a prob, if u unplug them. It depends on WHAT the USB device is, thats plugged in.

I wouldnt pull it out, if its something like an Ipod or USB flash drive.

You right mouse on it and select eject in My computer.

Or if its a U3 USB flash drive, you should use the icon on the desktop, to eject it.

Does the cellphone appear in my computer as something else (besides a removable disk). If it does right mouse on it, and select eject.

This is the other way you can remove something (besides selecting the icon on the taskbar).

Morpheus1
13-11-2007, 08:53 AM
Speedy: Win XP, not using usb hub, other usb devices like flash memory are all ok, cannot see cellphone in My Computer or anywhere else(but read my first post) - just the green icon in system tray / taskbar, using front port - have not tried a back port yet but the front has always worked no problems.

beeswax34
13-11-2007, 09:47 AM
Well try a port on the backup so you can see if the problem is with the USB port or something else.

Morpheus1
13-11-2007, 10:31 AM
The back usb port did not fix the problem but telling myself RTFM, I think I see the problem: When I first read the manual I understood that either WinXP SP1 or SP2 was needed - either one - but now I see that it is printed like this: WinXP SP1/SP2, which probably means that SP2 is needed. Well, I have not installed SP2 on purpose but will now have to download the 150 mb or whatever it is and give it a try, but only after I make an Acronis drive image so I can get rid of SP2 if necessary. If SP2 works, I'll ring SE help desk and ask for the supervisor so they can add this basic info to their basic knowledge base!

Stay tuned....

SolMiester
13-11-2007, 10:39 AM
SJ, you are supposed to use the safely remove buttom so the pc stops send 5v power into the device and zap it when you pull it out. How do you think it gets its power...LOL

Speedy Gonzales
13-11-2007, 10:42 AM
So is SP1 installed? Thats enough for USB 2 to work.

If SP1 was installed recently, delete the USB controller entry in device manager, and reboot.

SurferJoe46
13-11-2007, 01:36 PM
SJ, you are supposed to use the safely remove buttom so the pc stops send 5v power into the device and zap it when you pull it out. How do you think it gets its power...LOL

Hmmmm...dunnow....but I think it's something to do with Folder Options or Fast Switching something or other.....

I plug 'em in and out and all I really do is wait till their little lights stop blinking or the hdd stops twirling..etc...it's been going good for the past few years or so.

Maybe I'm just getting away with something..but so far, no problems.

apsattv
13-11-2007, 04:19 PM
What does the event viewer say?

Morpheus1
13-11-2007, 08:06 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427

I'm reading it now. Screenshot to come if I can relate the cellphone reboot to an Event Log error or warning.

-----------

SP1 not installed recently. Came with pc which is over 3 yrs old.

Morpheus1
13-11-2007, 09:32 PM

Here is a screenshot: http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/EventViewer_.jpg

Not familiar with Event Viewer so let me know if I need to look other than in System. The ERROR (one of two - see screenshot) I think is the time I unplugged the cellphone which caused the pc to reboot - if the ERRORS do not seem to be relevant I will do it again - I went and made a cup of tea and get eats, and forgot to look at my watch but came back soon after it booted up.

Will ring SE help desk tomorrow morning to see if SP2 is needed.

beeswax34
14-11-2007, 01:23 AM
Well that error pertains to MS trying to sync your system clock to its servers as it does on most computers. When I put the error code into Google however, people also seem to experience it with sudden re-starts and BSOD's. Try these links and see if any information helps you:

http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=41108
http://www.errorforum.com/microsoft-windows-xp-error/4812-crashing-self-rebooting-new-computer-long.html

SurferJoe46
14-11-2007, 04:55 AM
May I suggest that it might be the power supply getting a jump in voltage or even as loss of load that is causing the reboot?

Might be a voltage regulator in the PSU that's going bad and it cannot respond well to the load/changes fast enough.

Morpheus1
14-11-2007, 05:52 AM
Thanks guys. Leaving home for a trip and will get back to the problem later this week or next week.

It seems reasonable for me to try another pc. If my cellphone reboots another pc, its the cellphone and not a pc problem.

Morpheus1
14-11-2007, 07:23 AM
Beeswax, I did it again, here is another screenshot with the same results - details of other Error shown:
http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/EventViewer_2.jpg