PDA

View Full Version : XP Pro & Laptop problem

qazwsxokmijn
12-11-2007, 06:01 PM
Friend has an HP nx6320 laptop with XP Home COA. He wants to upgrade it to Pro, so he bought a Pro. Tried to reformat it with the XP Pro CD, but 'setup' cannot detect any HDDs.

That's a weird thing - because I can still boot into the PC (the Home) and therefore the HDD just fine. Ran a few programs (Excel, etc) and all ran fine.

So I used killdisk and deleted everything, tried to install XP Pro but still 'setup' cannot detect any HDDs.

Is there something wrong or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!

Speedy Gonzales
12-11-2007, 06:05 PM
Sounds like its got a SATA hdd.

You'll have to disable it in the BIOS. Or find the SATA drivers.

And put them on a floppy.

Then press F6 during the install.

CYaBro
12-11-2007, 07:00 PM
Speedy is correct, the NX6320 laptops have a SATA HDD and use SATA Enhanced/Native mode to access it (as opposed to standard IDE.)
This creates a problem when installing Windows XP from a standard OEM or retail CD as they don't have the SATA driver included in them (slipstreamed.)
There is no option to disable the SATA mode in the BIOS on those laptops.
From memory those laptops don't have a floppy drive either so the only way to get Windows XP installed from a standard CD is to get the drivers and use something like nLite to slipstream them and create a new CD.
The other option would be to run the recovery and set back to factory default and do an upgrade to XP Pro rather than a fresh install.

wainuitech
12-11-2007, 07:07 PM
Friend has an HP nx6320 laptop with XP Home COA. He wants to upgrade it to Pro, so he bought a Pro. Tried to reformat it with the XP Pro CD, but 'setup' cannot detect any HDDs.
because I can still boot into the PC (the Home) and therefore the HDD just fine. Real easy solution, start XP home normally, when running, place XP Pro CD in the drive, when it opens there is the option to "install Windows" ( words to that effect) click that - you then get the choice of fresh install or Upgrade - select upgrade - it loads XP Pro, reboots and all data programs are meant to remain intact.

Did this on Saturday - worked perfectly.

qazwsxokmijn
12-11-2007, 07:12 PM
Cheers you guys. Speedy's solution seems to be working - I'm reformatting the HDD as I type this. Cyabro, I was able to disable Native SATA Support in the BIOS.

Wainuitech - I tried that, but there was no upgrade option. :(

wainuitech
12-11-2007, 07:17 PM

Very strange as I said I did it in the weekend ( twice), Worked both times with an OEM copy and Retail.

Oh Well as long as its working thats cool.:)

CYaBro
12-11-2007, 07:22 PM
Cheers you guys. Speedy's solution seems to be working - I'm reformatting the HDD as I type this. Cyabro, I was able to disable Native SATA Support in the BIOS.

Must have an updated BIOS to the ones I've worked on.
Good to know for next time. :cool:

Speedy Gonzales
12-11-2007, 07:23 PM
I think its because:

So I used killdisk and deleted everything.

There was nothing on the hdd. So it could boot into XP Home.

So you could select the upgrade option.

It was a clean install.

qazwsxokmijn
12-11-2007, 08:53 PM
It's all sweet now. I just installed XP Pro and activated it no problems. Thanks all!