PDA

View Full Version : Cant access Word Doc's anymore as they are all Read only

turtle63
12-11-2007, 09:26 AM
:help: I reloaded this computer for a client and all went smoothly, the Laptop shares the wireless connection, Printers and files which are all stored on the computer.
The drives are all shared on the computer and printing works fine.
When they go to use a Word document now it opens ok but you cannot save it and it shows as read only up the top.
You can copy and paste the info to another Word document and save it but not in the original.
have even ran the network wizard on them both.
they are definetly not showing as read only on the computer.
In the properties (while on the Laptop) it shows the archive button ticked, not the read only, on the computer there is no archive showing and the read only is not ticked.
Any ideas anyone? Woudl be apreciated

wainuitech
12-11-2007, 09:36 AM
Don't know if this will help but -Try right clicking the folder containg the documents, >properties >Untick Read Only > apply changes to all etc. if its a shared folder, you can also check the security Tab and change any Read only settings.

You can also do this for each Document as required, long winded if you have lots. Other wise try on the open document - Tools > Options > Security Tab . Untick read only.

turtle63
12-11-2007, 11:00 AM
Have tried that, read only is not ticked that is the weird thing, on either the Laptop or the computer, it seems to be some kind of sharing thing somehow.
The guy does use read only on some Documents but none in this folder.

Bantu
12-11-2007, 11:28 AM
When you open a document take a look in File Menu, Permissions, see if Unrestricted Access is checked.

Have you restored some files from a CD maybe?

FoxyMX
12-11-2007, 11:57 AM
I don't know if it will help or not but you could try removing the read-only attribute via the command prompt. That once worked for me when I had problems with another file format.

To do this, open a command prompt (Click Start - > Run, type cmd then click OK).

Change to the location where the read-only files are (for instance, if they are in the c:\temp folder, type "cd c:\temp" without the quotes). Type the following, then press Enter:

attrib -r *.* /s

turtle63
12-11-2007, 12:05 PM
That sounds like a plan, will have to go round and have a look but it would be nice if it works, emailed the guy to see if the permissions was unticked or not but pretty sure we checked all those things.

Speedy Gonzales
12-11-2007, 12:10 PM
WHAT version of Word / office is it?

Does this (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HA011406121033.aspx)

Sound like your prob?

turtle63
12-11-2007, 01:21 PM
Office 2003 on the computer and Laptop.
Office had been reinstalled after the computer was reloaded and was activated. Just had a thought, Windows is on a different drive to where all his documents are stored so they will be setup for the previous install of Windows and the sharing that was working previously, will this make a difference? Its a bit like having encrypted files and then reloading the computer and finding you can't access the files anymore as they are on another drive. Does this make sense?

zqwerty
12-11-2007, 01:24 PM
Open any one of the unalterable .doc's, File/Save As, use a new name ie "same name as original version b", now you will be able to alter the new saved .doc which is the same as the original and bonus, you have a backup. HTH.

turtle63
12-11-2007, 03:25 PM
I like what you say but you have no idea how many Word Doc's he has, hundreds, most sure he dosn't want to access while he is using the Laptop, it is mainly his wifes recipes etc that she wants acess to.
He is a Patent Lawyer and soemtimes just wants to use her Laptop to do the odd file on.
I did copy all the files he had tho to an external hard drive before reinstalling Windows, would it be possible that they will be ok and nto come up as Read only? I hadn't thought of that. It's weird tho that they are ok on his computer.

zqwerty
12-11-2007, 05:21 PM
The originals can be opened by any computer they just can't be altered, if you re-saved under a new name then, as I said above, you will be able to do as you wish with the re-saved copy.

If you think about it you will realize that this is a good feature which stops original docs on one computer being altered under their original name on another.

turtle63
12-11-2007, 06:18 PM
Very true, will have a look tomorrow if the guy is at home, he didn't return my calls today so will work on that tommorrow, will come back to you. but I dread thinking aobut having to do all his Doc's, hopefuly they won't all have to be done.