PDA

View Full Version : A New $200 Computer

Morpheus1
12-11-2007, 06:23 AM
Walmart in the USA is selling a $199 pc. How long will it be until we see a similar pc here in NZ, maybe through The Warehouse or DSE?

The comments below the article are interesting. "It runs a very lightweight derivative of Ubuntu, and runs it well. This machine is geared towards people who need something cheap that does the basics - surfing the net, email, IM's, and some light wordprocessing. For the price, you can't beat it."

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/allReviews.do?product_id=7754614

Greven
12-11-2007, 07:45 AM
It will be like buying a Mac, but cheaper.

I don't think they would sell enough of them for it to be worth while DSE doing them - it probably won't use standard hardware & they would have to import them. It would only work if a big shop sold them (like the warehouse) & advertised them.

bob_doe_nz
12-11-2007, 08:27 AM
It will be like buying a Mac, but cheaper.

I don't think they would sell enough of them for it to be worth while DSE doing them - it probably won't use standard hardware & they would have to import them. It would only work if a big shop sold them (like the warehouse) & advertised them.
Thing is, DSE did already sell a low end computer similar to Walmart.
Cyclone was the brand I think.

Didn't last long, but if it had an ITX Via Epia mobo and no monitor, as well as being cheap... I might consider one.

kahawai chaser
12-11-2007, 08:28 AM
Perhaps won't be long before ebay will sell cheap computers. I use to buy seiko/casio watches from ebay, many for half the price, and much greater range than here in NZ...

pctek
12-11-2007, 08:48 AM
Hmmm. Cheap because its running Linux or cheap because it has crap components in it?

Morpheus1
12-11-2007, 10:16 AM
Hmmm. Cheap because its running Linux or cheap because it has crap components in it?

:lol: Both! :lol:

motorbyclist
12-11-2007, 11:44 AM
This is a Linux machine that's capable of XP or Vista. It runs quick, and upgrades easily. Major con is no monitor. Tried XP and Vista and it runs like a champ. Definitely recommend this product.

for $200? really?

so $200USD, plus monitor, could be $500. not bad. add windows and $700. add DSE/other stores ripoff markup and maybe a grand?

beeswax34
12-11-2007, 12:24 PM
I'd just get a Asus EEE PC (well laptop really) It works great and its only $299-$399US and they've alread started making a cheaper yet more advanced version. Definitely thinking of getting one, so light and portable.

bachelorno1
12-11-2007, 12:31 PM
for $200? really?

so $200USD, plus monitor, could be $500. not bad. add windows and $700.
I see Dell are selling a slim tower desktop aimed at small businesses (Vostro brand) with a celeron 420, Windows XP, 1GB RAM, DVDROM, 80GB HDD, 17" Flat panel and integrated graphics for $798 including delivery. They have a laptop for the same price.
I don't know if they'd supply the desktop without a screen, but they might be $50+ cheaper if they came with Linux rather than Windows...

Disclaimer: This is an observation, not an endorsement!

bachelorno1
12-11-2007, 12:36 PM
I'd just get a Asus EEE PC (well laptop really) It works great and its only $299-$399US

For the search engine challenged, PB Technology are doing the ASUS Eee PC701 (4GB) for just under $600, OR for another $100 you can buy it from Dick Smith (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/XC5809P)

wainuitech
12-11-2007, 12:50 PM
For the search engine challenged, PB Technology are doing the ASUS Eee PC701 (4GB) for just under $600, OR for another $100 you can buy it from Dick Smith (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/XC5809P)

Then add in the Operating system
OS: Linux⁄ Microsoft Windows XP compatible DSE link provided.

steveroby
12-11-2007, 03:05 PM
US has been selling these on & off for years

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2002/10/14/BU171336.DTL&type=business
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-501442.html

NZ equivelent??
$369+gst
http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=WKSPB9124

wainuitech
12-11-2007, 04:02 PM
All that sounds dirt cheap - untill you then add in the rest of the parts if you want whole PC.

Keyboard / Mouse
Monitor
Operating System

Low spec components - CPU sempron -No comment - old saying " get what you pay for"

plod
12-11-2007, 04:09 PM
I see Dell are selling a slim tower desktop aimed at small businesses (Vostro brand) with a celeron 420, Windows XP, 1GB RAM, DVDROM, 80GB HDD, 17" Flat panel and integrated graphics for $798 including delivery. They have a laptop for the same price.
I don't know if they'd supply the desktop without a screen, but they might be $50+ cheaper if they came with Linux rather than Windows...

Disclaimer: This is an observation, not an endorsement!

A mate just got two of those for his work, he downgraded the monitors to 17inch for -$50 each.
Great for what his work needs.
We couldn't see an option for linux or no OS when we ordered them, we thought that might be a US option only

PENTIUM
12-11-2007, 04:26 PM
The AM2 AMD Sempron chip is quite good for many applications, lots of bang per buck.
I cannot say the same for the '300-w' Hyena power supply. These do not have a very good record for reliability. Also '300-w' could be inadequate if you decide to fit a video card.

motorbyclist
12-11-2007, 04:41 PM
if you can fit a video card that is...

winmacguy
12-11-2007, 04:46 PM
if you can fit a video card that is...

I don't think they were ever designed with a video card in mind - not much use for gaming in central Africa.

Chilling_Silence
12-11-2007, 04:47 PM
DSE do one for $600 without the external HDD you know

motorbyclist
12-11-2007, 04:48 PM
I don't think they were ever designed with a video card in mind - not much use for gaming in central Africa.

likewise

i find for DSE that if you half the price it gets a bit closer to actual value

Agent_24
12-11-2007, 05:24 PM
likewise

i find for DSE that if you half the price it gets a bit closer to actual value

Don't think DSE has any match when it comes to ripoff prices, especially for computer parts

Chilling_Silence
12-11-2007, 05:27 PM
I dont know any other laptops going for that price
I know DSE sometimes have some uber-awesome clearances on budget Acer laptops etc, prices that simply cant be beaten!

paulw
12-11-2007, 06:39 PM
for $200? really?

so $200USD, plus monitor, could be $500. not bad. add windows and $700. add DSE/other stores ripoff markup and maybe a grand?

Sounds a bit like the HD DVD pricing at present. US$200 = NZ$1500

Thomas01
13-11-2007, 09:35 AM
Walmart in the USA is selling a $199 pc. How long will it be until we see a similar pc here in NZ, maybe through The Warehouse or DSE?

The comments below the article are interesting. "It runs a very lightweight derivative of Ubuntu, and runs it well. This machine is geared towards people who need something cheap that does the basics - surfing the net, email, IM's, and some light wordprocessing. For the price, you can't beat it."

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/allReviews.do?product_id=7754614

Seems interesting but the shot of the thing indicates to me that there is no keyboard or monitor. So how do you use it?
I do think there is a market for a rock bottom laptop - in fact as we know there is one being marketed for about $200 already - but is a bit dependant on getting orders (made in China).
I remember Apple also turned out one intended for children some years ago. It looked to me to be the first really successful product they had marketed. So being Apple they cancelled it.

bachelorno1
13-11-2007, 09:15 PM
I do think there is a market for a rock bottom laptop - in fact as we know there is one being marketed for about $200 already - but is a bit dependant on getting orders (made in China).
I remember Apple also turned out one intended for children some years ago. It looked to me to be the first really successful product they had marketed. So being Apple they cancelled it.

That was the Apple eMate 300, which was a childproofed version of the Newton - with a keyboard. They looked pretty cool. Check it out on the Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMate_300)

bachelorno1
13-11-2007, 09:16 PM
Then add in the Operating system DSE link provided.
The Asus Eee comes with a modified version of Xandros Linux distribution. So not only does it come with an OS, it comes with 40 applications (including some web based apps) as well!
There is quite a good (balanced) review here (http://www.laptopmag.com/Review/Exclusive-First-Review-Asus-Eee-PC-701.htm)

My apologies to DSE; they do match the PB Technology price, I missed the 15 minute editing deadline. Sorry!

I might have to change my user name to AsusEeeguy :blush:

Thomas01
14-11-2007, 09:27 AM
That was the Apple eMate 300, which was a childproofed version of the Newton - with a keyboard. They looked pretty cool. Check it out on the Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMate_300)

Yes very cool.
It still looks like the sort of thing I would like for carrying around. With a really long battery life - simple design and NO touch pad stopping me from getting to the keyboard it is ideal.
I wanted something like this as an adjunct to my desktop. My old laptop (I have long since forgotten its make) was also simple - had no touch pad (why do they still insist on these daft devices in a daft position?)
It was also light in comparison with my existing HP laptop.
My HP does get used a lot - particularly as a reader for instructions when I am trying to learn something on my desktop. And its a good backup. So I have no complaints about it. But I would never try taking it with me to the UK on a holiday as I did with my old one.
Not unless my doctor can succeed in knocking 30 odd years off my age - and so far he has failed dismally!

I reckon in about 4 years there will be something similar to what I want. Using memory cards in place of hard drives. Incidentally I reckon memory cards are only expensive because the market is prepared to pay the price. I reckon most of them only cost a few dollars to make!
Tom

motorbyclist
14-11-2007, 10:15 AM
Incidentally I reckon memory cards are only expensive because the market is prepared to pay the price. I reckon most of them only cost a few dollars to make!
Tom

as with most things today:annoyed:

bachelorno1
14-11-2007, 12:31 PM
I reckon in about 4 years there will be something similar to what I want. Using memory cards in place of hard drives. Incidentally I reckon memory cards are only expensive because the market is prepared to pay the price. I reckon most of them only cost a few dollars to make!

I guess you mean Solid state drives (SSD) are expensive rather than memory cards. About 5 years ago a 64MB CompactFlash card cost $108. You can get a 4GB card for that now, and the cheapest 8GB card on pricespy is ~$110. SSD's are at that early point in their lifecycle where they're expensive.

Thomas01
14-11-2007, 02:13 PM
I guess you mean Solid state drives (SSD) are expensive rather than memory cards. About 5 years ago a 64MB CompactFlash card cost $108. You can get a 4GB card for that now, and the cheapest 8GB card on pricespy is ~$110. SSD's are at that early point in their lifecycle where they're expensive.

I was being a bit careless with definitions. I meant really any solid state device that doesn't revolve!
They will come down in price and probably turn up in designs we don't even know about just now. I am waiting!
Tom

Chilling_Silence
14-11-2007, 05:19 PM
I'd be keen to buy one of those Asus EeePC's.. might go to Sylvia Park on the weekend and have a nosey at one :D

gary67
14-11-2007, 08:04 PM
Well don't forget the $100 laptops being made for Africa they are supposed to be light no hdd and powered by almost anything and available in the States as buy two get one

Chilling_Silence
15-11-2007, 12:57 AM
Yeah but Im not so keen on the OLPC OS etc... plus theres the delay in actually getting them... I just want something like this where I can walk (Ride) down to DSE and purchase when the mood strikes :D

beeswax34
15-11-2007, 02:55 AM
Yeah but Im not so keen on the OLPC OS etc... plus theres the delay in actually getting them... I just want something like this where I can walk (Ride) down to DSE and purchase when the mood strikes :D

If you do go and have a look at the EEE PC, please post your experience here because I am seriously considering getting one.

BTW, I think that OLPC offer is only valid in the US (The buy one get one free offer)

SurferJoe46
15-11-2007, 06:15 AM
Wal-Mart sold them all out in two weeks..... (http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=926&tag=nl.e622)

gary67
15-11-2007, 07:23 AM
Well don't forget the $100 laptops being made for Africa they are supposed to be light no hdd and powered by almost anything and available in the States as buy two get one

I meant the OLPC, but shut down before I realized what I had written, there would always be the option of changing the OS to something like Damn small Linux it fits on a USB flash drive it's so small :cool:

Chilling_Silence
15-11-2007, 07:34 AM
Well it looks like Im going on Saturday to DSE.. gotta sell off my old laptop on TradeMe now, $500 anybody? ;)

bachelorno1
16-11-2007, 11:18 PM
If you do go and have a look at the EEE PC, please post your experience here because I am seriously considering getting one.

I bought one of these $600 computers today from DSE as a (cough) Christmas present for someone. I've played around with it, read the manual, explored some more, and now I'm looking at some of the hacks in this Ars technica review (http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/eee-pc-review.ars).
It's an awesome little machine.
Among other things it comes with a DVD which has a utility to create a restore 'disk' on a USB Drive, and windows drivers and utilities as well. Nothing wrong with it as it is, but it would be interesting to load another distro.
I've easily connected an external monitor, keyboard and mouse, and I'll test printers, a digicam, and skype tomorrow.
Feel free to ask questions.

beeswax34
16-11-2007, 11:57 PM
You're the man! Whats the k/b like to type on and the small 7inch screen and low resolution, any problems??

bachelorno1
17-11-2007, 09:07 AM
Whats the k/b like to type on and the small 7inch screen and low resolution, any problems??
I find keyboard preferences are a very personal thing. The keyboard is small and cramped on the Asus Eee, but I am a slow typist with smallish hands so it hasn't been a problem. Check out the review link in my previous post for more info, or pop into DES in Wyndam St, they had one on display yesterday.

Having used various PDA's I like the screen size and resolution. However some of the KDE sourced applications such as the Gwenview photo manager, and Amarok music manager are a bit cluttered, but they can be tweaked.

Got to go, its too good a day to be on the computer!:thumbs:

Chilling_Silence
17-11-2007, 09:49 AM
I bought one on Thursday evening... I just couldnt hold back :D

Im so glad that I did! Its a brilliant little machine, and Im surprised with how well it all just fits together and simply works!

Mind you, the camera being disabled in the BIOS by default was a little troubling but apparently installing the BIOS update which is available from the Install / Remove Programs link fixes that. There was a Skype update, however I followed a Howto on eeeuser.com and now Ive got the latest Skype Beta and its working with Video Calling!

The keyboard is small, no doubt about it. The first night I got it I had a headache and was lying in bed with it beside me, trying to type on it was no easy feat, however sitting up typing on it is fine and Im finding that after about 10-15 minutes that its quite accurate, bar the number 1 button which I usually seem to miss :P Nice and quite compared to some other laptop keyboards that Ive used, and the keys just 'feel' quite nice too. No noticeable speed difference for me compared to typing on a regular keyboard, probably still getting somewhere in the vicinity of 35 WPM.

I was a bit disappointed when SMplayer wouldnt play any h.264 encoded files of mine, but a quick install of VLC fixed that. SMplayer does quite well though and played xvid & wmv etc right outta the box. Amarok (They call it Music Manager) also plays MP3s without fluffing around. Playback of the videos isnt quite perfect, but im really quite fussy. Playing a music video I re-encoded to h.264 at 540xsomething resolution in fullscreen, and its pretty much flawless!

The wireless seems to work better than that in my old laptop, my dads laptop, my Nintendo Wii or my iMate, getting reception in certain parts of the house I wouldnt otherwise have been able to. Took me a bit to figure out how to display the MAC addess of the wireless adapter without using a terminal window (I wanted to do it just for the exercise) but it wasnt too difficult. Added that to the routers ACL and I was away laughing :)

Browsing with Firefox on the smaller res surprisingly doesnt bother me. PF1 means I needa scroll a little to the right coz it just doesnt quite display properly in 800x480 (or 800x600) resolutions. YouTube works good, but on some sites like Facebook I find myself inclined to just hit F11 to get the max viewing pleasure.

Some windows like when setting up Kontact (Opted for this which is included by default as well as Thunderbird) were slightly too large for screen, but as long as you remember you can hold old then Click & Drag anywhere on the window to move it, you wont ever have a problem :)

Pidgin works perfectly for MSN etc, as always...

OpenOffice is nice, loads quite fast (6 seconds for OOo Doc) and its nice that they've changed the default save-as format to Microsofts .doc just to make life easiest for n00bs who dont double-check prior to saving.

The fast boot is awesome, 12 seconds! With that in mind Im fine with there being no SWAP, and therefor no hibernation. Performance overall is honestly quite fast, especially seeing as its only a 900Mhz Celeron CPU!

Webcam quality is nice, nothing super fancy though

The HDD space... already filled it up once when I was installing WINE so I could run PokerStars & uTorrent. It wasnt difficult to get those installed, but seeing as I already had several videos and a couple of mp3 albums on here, I ran out fast :P
Will be getting myself something like a 4GB SD-Card to keep my media files on it so that I can keep the main HDD for JUST installed apps and emails and chat logs and documents, hopefully it wont fill up too fast then, but Im really not concerned.

Plugged in a mouse and a thumbdrive, no problems!

Played with using VGA-Out, again, worked really quite well, and allowed me to change the resolution also. It only did cloned-display mode though and not dual-headed mode.

All up, for $600, im thrilled... The price is right, the feel of the laptop is great, everything *just works*, its compact so its easy to throw into the bike bag or uni bag, its incredibly lightweight, and it seems like Asus have really put a lot of time & effort into making it all fit together nicely :)

With that in mind, Ive gone and convinced one of the guys from church to buy one (He already wanted one a bit though) and my grandfather will probably be getting one shortly for checking Business emails while he's out on-the-road!

Chilling_Silence
17-11-2007, 09:58 AM
BTW - Useful EeePC links:

How to pronounce Asus and EeePC:
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/eee-pc/how-to-pronounce-eee-pc-320007.php

Test-drive the EeePC GUI:
http://honeypothack.com/eee/

EeeUser Forum:
http://forum.eeeuser.com

Notebook.com review for the EeePC:
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4055&review=Asus+Eee+PC

Wikipedia page with specs etc:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eee_PC

stormdragon
17-11-2007, 01:54 PM
Chilling Silence whats the max resolution you can get on the external display via vga? Really tempted to get one.

Thanks

stormdragon
17-11-2007, 01:57 PM
Forget I even asked, found it myself. After looking on Google previously for a while, I now found it on the first site I went to.

bob_doe_nz
17-11-2007, 02:05 PM
Hey Chilly!...

How much space was left before you added onto it?
How you given the battery life a check/try?

beeswax34
17-11-2007, 03:32 PM
Ha, and people in the USA can't even get one. Newegg has sold out its whole stock and people have pre-ordered a couple of months worth of stock already. Until Target gets it, no go and here we are in NZ being able to buy as many as we want and when we want (for once and only once sadly). Awesome:thumbs:

Chilling_Silence
17-11-2007, 05:11 PM
Actually DSE is almost sold out, although Qmb can order them if you give them 24-48 hours

Max external res is quite high, I ran it at 1280x1024 without a problem.. I think its like 1660xsomething but I cat remember, it might be on the Wikipedia page.

The way its partitioned and uses UnionFS basically you get around 1.4GB
Battery life rocks my socks off, using Wireless the whole time and with the screen on it lasted over 3 hours and was still ticking! I wanted to use it on-the-road later that night so had to get it charging.. charging isnt uber-fast but its not too slow either :)