PDA

View Full Version : Smokin' Graphics Card

Bantu
12-11-2007, 05:57 AM
Switched graphics cards here.

ATi All-in-wonder 9700 Pro. AGP/8 128Mb. This card is powered by a small cable with the plug same as the one that normally powers a Floppy Drive.

Switched it for a ATi X800XT Platinum also AGP/8 256Mb. This card is powered by a cable same as goes into a PATA Hard Drive.

I switched cards seated nicely. Plugged in the Power lead to the PC and turned it on about a second or two later smoke started coming off the Graphics Card.

Any ideas on what killed the card?

I have changed graphics cards in my PC's before and have built a few PC's never had a problem before.

The_End_Of_Reality
12-11-2007, 07:42 AM
Did you insert the molex connector the correct way?

'Cause if you didn't, then 12VDC will go through the 5VDC line and that will cause the smoke...

bob_doe_nz
12-11-2007, 08:28 AM
Did you insert the molex connector the correct way?

'Cause if you didn't, then 12VDC will go through the 5VDC line and that will cause the smoke...

How can you NOT insert it incorrectly?

Greven
12-11-2007, 09:09 AM
The molex connectors only fit one way. Was the fan spinning?

There is either something wrong with your graphics card, or your PSU is putting out way too much power. The card is most likely buggered now.

The_End_Of_Reality
12-11-2007, 10:48 AM
How can you NOT insert it incorrectly? I think you mean not correctly? By forcing it hard enough :rolleyes: I have seen it happen and the damage was not nice...

The molex connectors only fit one way. Was the fan spinning?

There is either something wrong with your graphics card, or your PSU is putting out way too much power. The card is most likely buggered now. There also might have been a short on the GFX card.

Bantu
12-11-2007, 11:25 AM
Well it is a buggered unit now thats for sure:-)
It is possible I have the molex connector the wrong way. The connection in the card was in an awkward place do to an added fan fitted, I am not a 6 stone weakling and it would not have been a problem to push a bit harder and get it to fit when it shouldn't have. So far it is the only feasible explanation really.

As far as the fan spinning .... well I don't remember, the smoke came fast and it got shut down just as fast. I do remember a couple of long post beeps though, that did not sound good.

motorbyclist
12-11-2007, 11:40 AM
warranty?

Bantu
12-11-2007, 11:43 AM
no. it is second hand.
No big deal it was cheap enough.

motorbyclist
12-11-2007, 11:59 AM
haha, one of those trademe "works fine" auctions a?

steveroby
12-11-2007, 12:57 PM
haha, one of those trademe "works fine" auctions a?

probhably an 'untested' auction. Seems to be alot of those in the PC section
of trademe.

"Any ideas on what killed the card?"
probhably electricity, too much of.