PDA

View Full Version : New problems

EviLClouD
11-11-2007, 10:19 AM
I was browsing on the net with firefox this morning, then all of a sudden my computer froze. Literally froze, the taskbar clock stopped working, even after 5mins. Anyways, I couldn't click anything because the mouse had the busy icon. After about 10 mins i get an error box along the lines of this.

Windows - Delayed Write Failed
Windows was unable to save all the data for the file *******/firefox/*****(* stands for other words which i couldn't record in time) The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a......(didn't get the rest).

After 3 or so of these messages I get the BSOD.

'A process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated' was the 2nd paragraph.

The stop numbers was this...
Stop 0x000000F4 (0X00000003, 0X8A299240, 0X805FA160)

At the bottom of the BSOD this was written.
Beginning dump of physical memory.

Afterwards the computer reset, and stayed on the very first screen. (Blue screen with HP and Pentium 4 logo, as well as Press Esc for...Press F1 for etc.
It would not load past this, even after resetting by pressing the power button.

After this, I purchased a new Sata cable, and the computer started working again. After turning it on the first time with the new cable, there was an auto checkdisk. It said checking for consistency, and had 3 tests instead of the usual 5 for checkdisk.

After that, the computer booted normally, and I checked System event viewer. About 80% was filled with
Warning-disk-event 51
and one warning-ntfs-50.

What I want to know now is that, would the replacement of the sata cable fix this? Or is my drive dying/dead?
Bear in mind though, that I ran the seagate and WD diagnostics tools with no errors last night....

Thanks in advance.

wainuitech
11-11-2007, 10:43 AM
Sounds like the Hard Drive or Motherboard or PSU power connector is failing.

The disk read error you are getting is because the Disk is losing contact with the board.
It could be a Hard Drive failing, could be the Connector on the Board, could be the SATA Cable or could be a faulty power connector from the Power Supply.

Since you have purchased a new SATA Cable - Try changing the Power Connector on the Power Supply to a spare one (as long as it has one spare), or a different header on the Motherboard. If it still does it - I would suspect Its the Hard Drive.

Just replaced a customers Drive on Wednesday, same thing - it was the drive, would read OK for a short while then would freeze. Same error message in the logs - HEAPS of them.
Even trying to copy the data off the Old drive to the new drive would cause lockups.

EviLClouD
11-11-2007, 07:00 PM
Well this is what happened. AFTER the computer froze and wouldn't boot, I replaced the sata cable, and all is fine now. What I wanna know is why did that occur? And will the replacment cable fix the problem or is there something else wrong?

The sata cable is brand new and comp works fine now...
The power supply is brand new...
Hard drive is only 2 or so months old (This is my 2nd 500GB. First one had the same errors and got replaced, now the replacment drive has these errors :S)

As for the motherboard, I believe there is 2 connector ports on the motherboard. Should I try plugging it in the other one now? Or maybe wait and see if the problem comes back first? Also, is there a way to test the motherboard connectors?

Cheers

p.s. Don't know if this matters or not, but my drive was installed by a guy from Visual Group in Wellington. Are they a good reputable company or not?

wainuitech
11-11-2007, 07:14 PM
Sounds like there was a possible fault in the SATA Cable.

Had that happen myself with a New PC I built for a customer - the PC was around 4 months old when it started, replaced the cable - alls well.

will the replacment cable fix the problem or is there something else wrong?

Should I try plugging it in the other one now? Or maybe wait and see if the problem comes back first?
If the old cable is faulty, cut it in half and dump it- they are cheap enough and not worth keeping if not working.

Since the new cable fixed it then Personally I'd simply keep an eye on it, if it starts again then there may be another problem.

Visual Group are well known and usually do reasonable work, cant really screw up putting in a Hard Drive unless you are really careless, and these people would do it all the time.

Why did it Occur ??

Some SATA Cables dont have a metal "clip" to hold them in place, these often can fail/ come lose. The newer ones do have a clip that locks into place - A Much more secure fitting.

I'd say its just "One of those things" that happens to Computers sometimes.

EviLClouD
11-11-2007, 07:22 PM
Some SATA Cables dont have a metal "clip" to hold them in place, these often can fail/ come lose. The newer ones do have a clip that locks into place - A Much more secure fitting.:eek:

In reply to your question, my old sata cable was red with black plugs and BLACK PLASTIC CLIP...the new one I purchased from Dicksmith is red with black plugs and NO black clips> All it does is plug in, nothing to clip on or anything :waughh:

Should I purchase a new cable with clips?:confused:
If so, are there any good stores out there in Wellington that I can walk in and buy? I would use ascent but I personally don't like waiting 1-2 days for something I want now xD

Thanks

wainuitech
11-11-2007, 07:48 PM
Here is a Picture of the SATA with Metal Clips (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/DSC00697_(Small).JPG) As you can see, two different styles.
Those are two from new Motherboards I grabed from the workshop.

The older type are simply pushed onto the headers and held there by friction, and can sometimes come lose. Don't always go by the colour of the cables, its the clips on the end that matter - once in they wont "Fall Out".

If the new SATA cable you brought is work OK - then leave it.

I'm in WGTN Myself, but A shop to walk into and purchase in Wellington - I always reccomend Quay Computers. They always have good stock.

EviLClouD
11-11-2007, 08:00 PM
May I please ask you an unrelated and possibly personal question?

Do you do computer work for a living? If so, what company? :P

As for the sata cables...yea I reckon I should leave the current one in...i've done a bit of searching and most, if not all wellington stores open to consumers sell only the ones with no clips :S
Also, is there any program or anything that will test sata cables? To find out if they're failing/failed etc?

Quay computers seem good, but on there site there's practically nothing...Does the store have more stock not listed on the site?

One more thing...this is completely unrelated to this topic, but do you know any good programs out there that will: measure computer temperatures?; fully test ram and give an accurate result?; fully test hard drive and give an accurate result? By accurate I mean 90% or so...doesn't have to be 100% accurate. It's just that my old hard drive had problems and the techncian scanned it using Seatools and WD diagnostics and no problems appeared. But when he replaced the drive and tried to copy data, there was alot of bad sectors found....

Many thanks:)

wainuitech
12-11-2007, 08:01 AM
May I please ask you an unrelated and possibly personal question? NO! :lol: :lol: Only kidding - of course - personal:eek: ewww

Do you do computer work for a living? If so, what company? :P Yes I do, I own my own Computer repairs/ sales and service Company in wellington area - I don't have a "shop Front" as I work from Home and go to people places, and sometimes bring PC's back to my workshop. As for my Company Name - As per forum rules I wont self Advertise. PM me if you really need to know :rolleyes:

Quay computers seem good, but on there site there's practically nothing...Does the store have more stock not listed on the site? They have lots more than whats on the site - phone them and ask, I'm sure they will have them.

is there any program or anything that will test sata cables
There are cable testers available, but not worth it for testing 1 cable - A new cable is cheaper.

Your last question(s) there is a Mem tester in my sig - Memtest.
A program for testing the whole PC I use Burn In Test (http://www.passmark.com/products/bit.htm) Its free for 30 days. you set the tests under the configuration settings.

The testing tools you mentioned are not always correct, saying it has bad sectors sometimes can also mean it has faulty parts in the Operating system - I have had this also when trying to copy, if you run a tester through it then it wont show as faulty sectors, reinstall and its ok. To test hard drive sectors I use HDD Regenerator (http://www.dposoft.net/#b_hddhid) Its not free, but the trial version will scan your drive, locate any bad sectors and show the results.
The trial version attempts repairs 1 sector at a time per run , the paid version does the lot.

EviLClouD
12-11-2007, 10:56 AM
I've PMed you :p

As for memtest, it requires a floppy but my computer doesn't have a floppy drive :S
Is there any other non-bootable ones out there? Ones which require you to install then execute?

The testing tools you mentioned are not always correct, saying it has bad sectors sometimes can also mean it has faulty parts in the Operating system

Is there any software for testing faulty parts in OS? :P

One last thing, does 'Burn in test' test/show current computer temperatures?

Thanks

pctek
12-11-2007, 11:10 AM
I'd go to Ascent rather than QUay computers.

wainuitech
12-11-2007, 11:22 AM
I've PMed you :p

As for memtest, it requires a floppy but my computer doesn't have a floppy drive :S
Is there any other non-bootable ones out there? Ones which require you to install then execute?

Is there any software for testing faulty parts in OS? :P

One last thing, does 'Burn in test' test/show current computer temperatures?

Thanks Memtest - Download the ISO file and burn that using an image burner ( one in my sig) to CD. Boot from that.

Testing software - in XP you can use chkdsk. Built into windows, Click start>Run type in cmd in the command window type in chkdsk /f Here is a list of chkdsk commands (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/prork/pref_tts_ffgh.mspx?mfr=true) and what each one does.

Burnin test and temp ? - I'll get back on that.