PDA

View Full Version : Question on Windows product key

dandan84
11-11-2007, 10:15 AM
hello,
Each Windows operating system come with a unique product key. My question is that if someone else enters the same product key (say by accident) as mine, than how does Microsoft know which one is the genuine copy? And what will happen to our computers?

Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
11-11-2007, 10:20 AM
If the key is the right key for the version of XP you're installing it'll install.

But, it may not activate.

And if you dont activate within 30 days, it'll lock you out of XP.

dandan84
11-11-2007, 10:29 AM
the key is the right key for WinXP. i bought it second hand. Not sure if the original seller is going to use the key for his WinXP PC. And not sure what happens if he does.

Speedy Gonzales
11-11-2007, 10:31 AM
Well depending on how long ago the seller installed his, you may able to activate it after you install it.

You'll soon find out. When you go to activate it, it may not activate.

Or after 30 days it'll lock you out of XP.

wainuitech
11-11-2007, 10:35 AM
hello,
Each Windows operating system come with a unique product key. My question is that if someone else enters the same product key (say by accident) as mine, than how does Microsoft know which one is the genuine copy? And what will happen to our computers?

Thanks

I see its your second Post - Welcome to PressF1 - if no ones said it before :D

What happens is when you activate the Product key, it generates a 42 Digit number which is sent to MS.
As long as its Legal, and the Computers at MS say its one of theirs then it will work fine.
BUT if the same key goes on a Second PC, and someone tries to actiavte it again, then unless its a multi user code, it pops up saying "already on another PC".

Sometimes it gets it wrong. In that case you need to phone MS and explain to them why you are tryng to put a single user licence on more than 1 PC.

One of the questions they ask is " is this licence on any other PC's" if you lie and say NO , they will usually reactivate it to the PC you are trying to install on, but when the Two PC's try to do updates that MS require to check the licence key, only one will work.

As speedy said, it will work without activation for 30 days only.

Unless its Vista - then there is a way around that - which I'm not saying how (all legal as well)

bk T
11-11-2007, 05:32 PM
As long as its Legal, and the Computers at MS say its one of theirs then it will work fine.
BUT if the same key goes on a Second PC, and someone tries to actiavte it again, then unless its a multi user code, it pops up saying "already on another PC".

Sometimes it gets it wrong. In that case you need to phone MS and explain to them why you are tryng to put a single user licence on more than 1 PC.

One of the questions they ask is " is this licence on any other PC's" if you lie and say NO , they will usually reactivate it to the PC you are trying to install on, but when the Two PC's try to do updates that MS require to check the licence key, only one will work.

If, let's say, I have a very old PC with XP installed and have now decided to
get a new one, can I use this copy of XP on my new PC? Of course, the XP will be uninstalled from the old PC. It's not an OEM version.

pctek
11-11-2007, 06:03 PM
If, let's say, I have a very old PC with XP installed and have now decided to
get a new one, can I use this copy of XP on my new PC?

If its a retail copy yes.

If its OEM, yes. But not legally.

MaXimus
11-11-2007, 09:03 PM
I see its your second Post - Welcome to PressF1 - if no ones said it before :D

What happens is when you activate the Product key, it generates a 42 Digit number which is sent to MS.

As speedy said, it will work without activation for 30 days only.

Unless its Vista - then there is a way around that - which I'm not saying how (all legal as well)

Well not trying to go illegal here, but unless the same CD Key is activated on several PCs say more than 10-20, then Microsoft will always be happy to activate your version via telephone as long as you lie and say it's only being used on one!

Erayd
11-11-2007, 09:12 PM
Well not trying to go illegal here, but unless the same CD Key is activated on several PCs say more than 10-20, then Microsoft will always be happy to activate your version via telephone as long as you lie and say it's only being used on one!That is illegal.

Zippity
11-11-2007, 09:34 PM
That is illegal.

So is Jay Walking :D

Erayd
11-11-2007, 09:39 PM
So is Jay Walking :DIndeed, but jaywalking doesn't cost anyone money (unless you get run over :D). Whatever you may think of Microsoft's ethics, they are entitled to receive compensation for their software on the terms they have set - unless you can find some law that renders the relevant sections of the EULA invalid, you should either pay them or use something else.

Morgenmuffel
12-11-2007, 08:27 AM
Indeed, but jaywalking doesn't cost anyone money (unless you get run over :D).

It does in the States, when i was in LA an irish guy came in swearing his head off because he'd been fined for jay-walking, just outside the hostel,

Zippity
12-11-2007, 08:31 AM
Indeed, but jaywalking doesn't cost anyone money (unless you get run over :D). Whatever you may think of Microsoft's ethics, they are entitled to receive compensation for their software on the terms they have set - unless you can find some law that renders the relevant sections of the EULA invalid, you should either pay them or use something else.

Correct.

I was merely taking a dig at the "Holier than Thou" attitude being posted here :(

pctek
12-11-2007, 08:46 AM
Whatever you may think of Microsoft's ethics, they are entitled to receive compensation for their software on the terms they have set - unless you can find some law that renders the relevant sections of the EULA invalid, you should either pay them or use something else.

MS gets plenty of compensation.
As for legal/illegal its illegal according to the Law of Microsoft.
I'm not advocating piracy but I think their greed overrides fairness sometimes.

Even the most die hard old Windows version user sooner or later has to upgrade to a new one so MS gets some rather large amounts of money for it.

If we stick religiously to the rules of MS you'd buy a new copy of WIndows everytime you changed your mouse.

Erayd
12-11-2007, 09:07 AM
MS gets plenty of compensation.
As for legal/illegal its illegal according to the Law of Microsoft.
I'm not advocating piracy but I think their greed overrides fairness sometimes.Undoubtedly. They have abused their monopoly position so far it's not funny :groan:.

wainuitech
12-11-2007, 09:12 AM
Correct.

I was merely taking a dig at the "Holier than Thou" attitude being posted here :(

I know what you are saying and Yeah it sucks sometimes, BUT there are people who help out in this Forum that run Businesses.

Personaly I stick to the legal terms in MS's agreements, if I put in Illegal software then something happened it's me that would have MS come down on like a tonne of bricks - and you'd be a blo*dy Idiot to risk losing your businesses simply because some clown whats Illegal software.

GO some place else - that doesn't care less- thats what I say.

And MS do call you sometimes - I have had MS call me at least once a fortnight latley, asking about the number of sales of servers, Vista, Office products, general surveys - Mind you might have something to do with a questioner I replied to and left ticked " yes MS can contact me":rolleyes:

PaulD
12-11-2007, 09:43 AM
If we stick religiously to the rules of MS you'd buy a new copy of WIndows everytime you changed your mouse.

Good way to destroy the credibility of your argument :D

steveroby
12-11-2007, 12:59 PM
Does MS WGA check for keys used more than once or just known pirated keys??

Speedy Gonzales
12-11-2007, 01:08 PM
Just as long as the key is vaild WGA doesnt care.

It'll check for known pirated ones.

And some of the MS download sites.

So will programs that need to be validated.

So you can install them (WMP, and used to be IE 7).

BUT MS removed the WGA check in the later version of IE).

wainuitech
12-11-2007, 01:41 PM
Does MS WGA check for keys used more than once or just known pirated keys??
Just adding to Speedys answers, if you have installed Windows on 1 PC then try to install on another, if its a single user license then WGA, when you try to activate, refuses it, you get the message saying invalid, you then have to call MS and tell them why you are trying to install a single user license on more than 1 PC.

mzee
12-11-2007, 02:29 PM
It has been my experience that if activation the last time was over 4 months ago, a new activation will be possible. Obviously nobody is going to wait 4 months in a multi activation scenario!