PDA

View Full Version : How to replace WinXP home with WinXP pro

dandan84
11-11-2007, 10:05 AM
Hi, everyone
I want to replace my existing WinXP home with WinXP pro (not an upgrade version). What would be the best way to do this?

Secondly, I have a number of softwares installed on the existing WinXP home. Is there a way for me to have WinXP pro installed without going through the trouble of re-installing these softwares?

thanks

Speedy Gonzales
11-11-2007, 10:28 AM
You can either install Pro over home, it may need the Pro key.

Or you can do a clean install, BUT, you'll have to reinstall all the programs again.

wainuitech
11-11-2007, 10:57 AM
You can install XP Pro on a system that has XP home, it normally upgrades it, leaving all programs intact. But back up any data first - just in case something goes wrong.

Go through the Process of a Non Distructive reinstall, it usually upgrades from there unless it advices if you want to upgrade the current system then say yes and follow on screen instructions.

You will need the XP Pro Key, as XP home keys wont work with XP Pro and Visa Versa.

wainuitech
11-11-2007, 12:52 PM
Just a quick update to this post, if you put the XP Pro CD in while the system is running as normal, it will give you the option to install XP - when selecting this the next step it asks is either upgrade or reinstall. Select upgrade and away you go- all data /programs are meant to stay intact.

dandan84
11-11-2007, 04:40 PM
thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. I will definitely try it. thanks