PDA

View Full Version : Fedora Core5, broadband internet connection

Antonia
11-11-2007, 09:19 AM
Hi all,

A long time since I used your help, still recognise some names.
I have not used Fedora so much lately but decided to spend some more time with it.
Still had installation disks for Core 5 and 6 so loaded core 5. All went well but I am a bit lost trying to connect to the internet. I don't know what has changed but everything seems more puzzling. Probably "older" age setting in. Anyway, we now have broadband after struggling with dial up and dropping off to sleep waiting for the next link coming into view.

We are with Ihug and use ADSL modem DSL-200. Fedora just does not pick it up and I am unsure what to do and what settings to use. The power is on but the ADSL connection does not work in Fedora. So no internet connection.
Maybe this is because ADSL becomes active (in windows) when we dial up not when the PC starts.

Any help from Ihug members who use Fedora would be very welcome.

Regards, Antonia

beama
11-11-2007, 10:29 AM
Go into the network setup of nic and mannually enter dns servers ip (primary and secondary) for your isp. You may also have mannually to set the ip for the machine if dhcp is not doing it.

To check if the dhcp is working ie your pc is being allocated an ip, go to a bash prompt and type in "ifconfig eth0" If you dont understand the data returned post back here with it someone will answer.

Ive had to do this for most fedora core setups I've installed so far my machine. For some reason the my router and fedora core dont like each other. XP and other linux distros are fine.

Antonia
11-11-2007, 03:59 PM
Thans Beama, I tried that.
This was the result before I changed anything:
*[‬root@localhost* ~]‬#* ‬ifconfig eth0
eth0* ‬Link encap:Ethernet* ‬HWaddr* ‬00:0D:56:56:30:85
* ‬BROADCAST MULTICAST* ‬MTU:1500* ‬Metric:1
* ‬RX packets:0* ‬errors:0* ‬dropped:0* ‬overruns:0* ‬frame:0
* ‬TX packets:0* ‬errors:0* ‬dropped:0* ‬overruns:0* ‬carrier:0
* ‬collisions:0* ‬txqueuelen:1000
* ‬RX bytes:0* (‬0.0* ‬b*) ‬TX bytes:0* (‬0.0* ‬b*)
* ‬Interrupt:17

After making changes:
[root@localhost ~]# ifconfig eth0
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0D:56:56:30:85
inet addr:203.109.166.114 Bcast:203.109.166.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
Interrupt:18

In Network config diag box i have the following:
Devices: inactive ppp0 Ihug xDSL

Hardware: Broadcom Corporation BC Ethernet eth0 OK
IPsec : Blank

DNS:
Hostname : localhost.local domain
Pr. DNS 203.109.129.67
Sec.Dns 203.109.129.68
DNS search path local domain

Hosts:Blank

But still no luck activating the Device.
When in Windows I have to dial the Ihug phonenumber 0873 007 77

Can you see what I have done wrong?
Thanks in advance, Antonia

vinref
11-11-2007, 04:13 PM
Try:

dhclient eth0. This should connect you to the router if DHCP is running on the router. Try pinging something.

Jen
11-11-2007, 04:27 PM
In Network config diag box i have the following:
Devices: inactive ppp0 Ihug xDSLGo back to Devices and make sure there is a tick under Profile and then click the Activate button at the top. See if that helps. If it doesn't, try restarting Fedora.

Antonia
12-11-2007, 09:00 AM
Thank you Vinref and Jen.

No luck so far as the problem lies with the modem.

It is a USB Dinalink DSL-200 ADSL Modem, which as I found out from the internet has caused many Linux users headaches and grief. It only works in some cases with some distros (not Fedora). And then only after downloading and installing"eciadsl usermode usb drivers" successfully. Reading about it makes you want to give up before you start as it took someone far more advanced than myself two days with the help of software developers.

The modem is fantastic with windows so I am hanging on to it. If I ever succeed to get it working for Linux I will let you know.

In the meantime regards,
Antonia

beama
12-11-2007, 06:37 PM
can you ping the modem

Antonia
13-11-2007, 04:15 AM
Hi Beama

If pinging the modem means typing 10.1.1.1 in the browser address bar. No that does not go anywhere.

After more reading on the internet I find that Ubuntu can work with my USB connection Dinalink DSL-200 B1 modem.
That is if I can successfully download and install the EciAdsl driver.
Here's hoping.

Regards, Antonia