PDA

View Full Version : Stero into Comuter

Slim
11-11-2007, 09:08 AM
Most micro stero system have no Line out jack, only Line in these days.
Can you connect the 2W speaker outputs to the computer Line in jack.
I wish to record some of the FM/AM broadcasts on the computer.

Speedy Gonzales
11-11-2007, 09:21 AM
Buy a PCI TV tuner card, with FM radio. Or a standalone PCI FM tuner card.

wmoore
11-11-2007, 10:14 AM
Does it have headphone socket ? use that.

Slim
11-11-2007, 10:21 AM
Buy a PCI TV tuner card, with FM radio. Or a standalone PCI FM tuner card.

Thanks, I wish to record some from AM stations as well as FM,
will these cards you quote handle AM input.

Slim
11-11-2007, 10:22 AM
Does it have headphone socket ? use that.

If it does can I connect headphone output to Line in on computer.

Speedy Gonzales
11-11-2007, 10:23 AM
No most tuners are FM only. Not AM.

Erayd
11-11-2007, 10:31 AM
If it does can I connect headphone output to Line in on computer.Yes.

Shortcircuit
11-11-2007, 11:28 AM
Yes.

Make sure that you buy a stereo lead/plug to go into the headphone socket as the mono ones look much the same. From memory the stereo headphone plug has two black rings on the pointy bit and the mono plug only has one.

Erayd
11-11-2007, 11:33 AM
Make sure that you buy a stereo lead/plug to go into the headphone socket as the mono ones look much the same. From memory the stereo headphone plug has two black rings on the pointy bit and the mono plug only has one.Assuming that the mic input is in fact stereo - a lot of them aren't.

Greven
11-11-2007, 02:10 PM
Assuming that the mic input is in fact stereo - a lot of them aren't.

The mic input has nothing to do with it - it goes from the headphone socket on the stereo to the line in on the computer.

Magix is quite a good program for recording using that method. I'm not sure how much it costs.

Agent_24
11-11-2007, 05:12 PM
The mic input has nothing to do with it - it goes from the headphone socket on the stereo to the line in on the computer.

Magix is quite a good program for recording using that method. I'm not sure how much it costs.

Mic input would probably overload if you put the output from stereo into it, use the line in, but keep the volume down or you'll get distortion on that anyway

Erayd
11-11-2007, 08:36 PM

Magix is quite a good program for recording using that method. I'm not sure how much it costs.Oops, sorry - was jumping between two threads and got confused. You're quite right :blush: .

wratterus
13-11-2007, 01:57 PM
No need to buy a TV Tuner!!! :eek:

What was suggested above is far cheaper and easier. Depending on the size of the headphone output on your stereo, get either a 3.5mm to 3.5mm male stereo cable, or a 6.5mm to 3.5mm stereo cable. Theres pleanty of good free software for recording etc etc, Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) is some of my favourite.