PDA

View Full Version : overheating toshiba laptop

powerover
10-11-2007, 02:09 PM
my friend has this old-school Toshiba satellite A10, model number PSA10A-01M7LP.

it runs fine, but recently it always shuts itself down. my friend told me that when it shuts itself down he accidentally touch the left hand top corner of the keyboard (the area just under the left speaker and that is where the satellite sticker is, and down the side of the area is where the air vent is), and it burns...i mean it is really REALLY hot. :badpc:

he also told me that the fan goes normal, with only mild warm air going out of the vent when it shuts itself down.

it is running on a Pentium 4 processor.

his keyboard looks dusty, so i suspect that there is lots of dust jamming the air vent. so i carefully vacuumed all the holes that i can find on the laptop, nothing much came out.....but when i vacuumed his keyboard tones on dust came out.

so what is the problem? any idea what is wrong with the laptop?
and by the way are there any free software that can monitor the temperature of Toshiba laptops?

just any kind of help will be appreciated. cheers.:thumbs:

wainuitech
10-11-2007, 03:32 PM
You may need to roll up ya sleeves and start taking the Laptop apart.

The heatsink on the CPU & cooling areas may still be full of dust and dirt.

If they are the cooling wont work correctly.Then the only way to clean them is to CAREFULLY remove the covers, locate the areas that need cleaning and with a softish brush dust out / blow out any rubbish.

Not to good an idea to use a vacum cleaner, may damage the internal parts.

To hopefully aid you -Here is the disassembly instructions (http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/ToshibaA15/SatelliteA15_laptop_disassembly_1.htm) for the Toshiba Satellite A10.

Step 5 & 6 is what you want.:)

powerover
10-11-2007, 05:40 PM
thanks...will do this operation tonight