PDA

View Full Version : Removing Vista and Paritioning HDD so it runs with Ubuntu and XP

vk_dre
10-11-2007, 01:35 PM
Hi everyone,
just a quick question,
I want to remove Vista from my laptop (I installed it via the university licenses that you get as a student) and I want to then partition the HDD and install XP and ubuntu. Are there any specific things I should have ready in case the process goes awry? And Ive been searching the net and it seems removing Vista is quite the headache (or so google says) so any tips and hints for removing Vista then wiping and partitoning the hdd would be helpful.

Cheers,
vk_dre

Speedy Gonzales
10-11-2007, 01:38 PM
Wiping Vista will be easy.

Finding drivers for XP and Ubuntu if the laptop is pretty recent, is another thing

I would make sure you've got the drivers first before anything else.

vk_dre
10-11-2007, 01:54 PM
ok, so whats the procedure for wiping vista? one online link says I need two things before attempting a vista wipe:
Windos XP Installation CD
MS Dos Boot environment Boot Disk (bootable disk)

What is a MS Dos boot disk?and since I have no floppy drives on my laptop how am I meant to implement it?

wainuitech
10-11-2007, 01:57 PM
There is a simple solution, and as Speedy mentioned finding drivers for the Laptop can be hard sometimes.

What was suggested by someone else a while back in a similar case was to purchase another Hard Drive for the laptop, remove the one with Vista on,then install the other OS (s) as required, once its all up and going and working then if you want simply use the Other drive as a backup drive after purchasing a 2.5" USB drive case for it.

If the other installs dont work, then at least you still have the original drive with Vista, just put it back in.

wainuitech
10-11-2007, 02:00 PM
ok, so whats the procedure for wiping vista? one online link says I need two things before attempting a vista wipe:
Windos XP Installation CD

Thats it - put in the XP CD, boot from it and select the option to delete the partition.

WARNING: If its a SATA drive you may need the drivers for XP to detect the HD. They are usually loaded from a Floppy, so make sure the Laptop has one available, other wise you may have to slipstream them into a XP install CD using a program like nLite (http://www.nliteos.com/index.html)

This is VERY GOOD ADVICE:

Finding drivers for XP and Ubuntu if the laptop is pretty recent, is another thing

I would make sure you've got the drivers first before anything else.

Chilling_Silence
10-11-2007, 11:06 PM
If you do an XP installation you should then be able to use Ubuntu without an issue to shrink the HDD size down (Re-partition).

Install XP first though, XP doesnt like to recognise that Linux has been installed and wont add it to the bootloader like Ubuntu will if you install Windows and then Ubuntu :)

vk_dre
11-11-2007, 06:45 PM
Cheers for all the info, i've run into a bit of a snag; ive got a Toshiba Tecra A7, but I dont have the original toshiba recovery discs (lost when moved house probably), so i used the windows xp sp2 iso image that the uni provides to students and ive installed XP pro. I put the xp pro product key that was on the sticker on the underside of my laptop, yet the installation says the key is not valid?!

Im confused, the key is valid, and my laptop did originally ship with xp pro, so why wont installation accept my original key?!!

Frustrated.

wainuitech
11-11-2007, 06:59 PM
Cheers for all the info, i've run into a bit of a snag; ive got a Toshiba Tecra A7, but I dont have the original toshiba recovery discs (lost when moved house probably), so i used the windows xp sp2 iso image that the uni provides to students and ive installed XP pro. I put the xp pro product key that was on the sticker on the underside of my laptop, yet the installation says the key is not valid?!

Im confused, the key is valid, and my laptop did originally ship with xp pro, so why wont installation accept my original key?!!

Frustrated.

Even though the Key on your laptop may be valid, the XP Pro CD is slightly different for the Uni version.

With "special" licences like the uni will have, the install doesn't know what your key is.

XP Pro can be a bit "picky" as to what keys are used. Struck this many times, when trying to install XP Pro if the customer doesn't have the CD any more. I have 4 different XP Pro CD's I use, some work with some keys others dont.

Resolution :groan: As far as I know there isn't a legal solution - you will have to use the product key from your Uni, Or get hold of a OEM XP Pro CD - which may or may not work with your Key.

vk_dre
11-11-2007, 07:56 PM
yeah i figured as much from googling the issue :(, i feel like im getting shafted, i mean I havn't done anything illegal, far out. In retrospect, installing Vista was the cause of all this crap. should have just stuck to my original xp.
seems I'll have to email the uni software admin and request a licence.

cheers for all the help.