PDA

View Full Version : FAT32 Versus NTFS

gary67
10-11-2007, 08:25 AM
My sun has a laptop running XP home it is an Acer Aspire 3003LC, it is running 768Mb of RAM. It is running very slow and a defrag of each drive partition takes over an hour. I noticed it is FAT32 file format.

My questions are is the file format slowing it down? can I change the second partition to NTFS. I know how to do this just want to make sure the OS will still read it if I leave the first partition as FAT32.

Secondly since it only came with recovery CD's can I do an install from another XP disc and use the license from the laptop and not the one on the CD as that has already been used and how would I back up the drivers first?

Thanks in advance :badpc:

pctek
10-11-2007, 08:49 AM
Its probably full of spyware.
Did you check?
And remove unecessary startup items, ditch Nortons.

You can convert it to NTFS but that won't cure your problem.

As ffor doing a reinstall, thats what the recovery is for - it includes Windows and all the drivers.
Just use that if you need to.
But I'd be checking for malware first.

Greg
10-11-2007, 09:04 AM
Yeah you can change the operating system partition to NTFS and leave the other as FAT32, but you might as well change both.

FoxyMX
10-11-2007, 09:05 AM
Has the laptop always been slow or only recently slowed down? If the latter, then like pctek says, it's probably got malware.

Give it a good cleanup before mucking around changing the file format.

TGoddard
10-11-2007, 09:29 AM
FAT32 is very simple and is useful for low processor power devices such as MP3 players, cameras and the original computers it was designed for. NTFS is a modern filesystem and will massively outperform FAT32 for some tasks. Anything which manipulates large files risks fragmentation and this can cause severe performance problems for particular usage patterns. With NTFS you will not need to defragment as it does not have the same performance issues (it uses indices instead of linked lists for locating file pieces).

pcuser42
10-11-2007, 12:26 PM
Running Windows XP on FAT32 is like a horse-drawn Ferrari. It has the potential, but can't do it. (Security mostly though.)

MaXimus
10-11-2007, 03:49 PM
There is no reason anyone should be using FAT32 when it comes to computers hard disk file systems anymore! Maybe for a USB Flash Disk! but certainly not for your HDD!

But like the others said, your slowdown it probably due to alot of malware/trojan infections and clattered up registry.

Get the following and run a clean-up:

1) Ad-Aware or Spybot Search and Destroy
2) RegScrubXP (To clean those reisry error)
3) Defragment your hard disk
4) Download a small utility called AUTORUNS and stop anthing you don't need from starting up with the system like special imaging applications or anything u feel not useful, do not play with system files that you're not sure of though

pctek
10-11-2007, 05:28 PM
There is no reason anyone should be using FAT32 when it comes to computers hard disk file systems anymore!

Having listened to all this hype, let me mention I run my hard drive in FAT32.

There is one thing I can't do and thats have a file larger than 4GB. Never needed one so far.

I like DOS. The original DOS. DOS is not possible on an NTFS file system.
To have it installed that is.

And nope, my PC runs a whole lot faster than a lot of NTFS shotboxes I see everyday.

Nor does it need defragging. I thought I'd give it one the other day seeing as it hasn't had one since its build.

It found bugger all to do.

Chilling_Silence
10-11-2007, 11:04 PM
I hafta say that if you dont need the security or the large file support why you would want to have NTFS over FAT32, for the average desktop user that is. There's precious little noticable difference, and Ive played with REAL performance filesystems like Reiser4 :D

And yes, NTFS still needs defragging!

IF your PCs going slow, dont blame the file-system, ever :)

pcuser42
11-11-2007, 07:43 AM

Why can't you install it on a virtual machine? :illogical

gary67
11-11-2007, 08:02 AM
Okay I have used S & D removed 16 items, run regXp tidied up the registry started the defrag 20 mins ago and its only on 4% on the OS partition. What I need to know is if I convert this partition to NTFS it will wipe it and so would the recovery disc be able to recover to a different format or are they an image in the original format? And what about ghost would that create a copy of the partition in FAT32 or would I be able to load it into a new format. I have never used ghost so I don't know

gary67
11-11-2007, 08:02 AM
Any recommendations for a free defragger better than the windows one?

stormdragon
11-11-2007, 08:07 AM
You don't have to wipe everything when you convert a drive from fat32 to ntfs.

Before you do convert it though run some form of antivirus software as well just to insure the computer is clean. If you don't have any get Avast its free for the normal home user and is also effective.

stormdragon
11-11-2007, 08:10 AM
As for defragger try using the windows one in safe mode. There are plenty of free third party ones out there but the built in one should do just fine.

Bantu
11-11-2007, 08:15 AM
Having listened to all this hype, let me mention I run my hard drive in FAT32.

There is one thing I can't do and thats have a file larger than 4GB. Never needed one so far.

And nope, my PC runs a whole lot faster than a lot of NTFS shotboxes I see everyday.

Nor does it need defragging. I thought I'd give it one the other day seeing as it hasn't had one since its build.

It found bugger all to do.

Don't you do digital video pctek? I end up with some 8+Gb files here working with DV. I have a lot of just Digital images and files over 10 times the size of my very first Hard Drive:-)

I guess I would be lost without NTFS:-)

As far as Dos goes, the WinXP Command (CMD) window is pretty much modern Dos, 99% of doc commands can still be done in that and it will run likes of pkzip dos version runs in dos i use sometimes to unzip multiple zip backup files.

pctek
11-11-2007, 08:24 AM
Don't you do digital video pctek?

As far as Dos goes, the WinXP Command (CMD) window is pretty much modern Dos,

No.

And no it isn't!!!
Its a command line. Sometimes its very useful to be able to boot into DOS.

Bantu
11-11-2007, 08:51 AM
No.

And no it isn't!!!
Its a command line. Sometimes its very useful to be able to boot into DOS.

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t203889-boot-into-dos.html

gary67
11-11-2007, 09:14 AM
You don't have to wipe everything when you convert a drive from fat32 to ntfs.

Before you do convert it though run some form of antivirus software as well just to insure the computer is clean. If you don't have any get Avast its free for the normal home user and is also effective.

So I've run AVG and search & destroy so I'm sure its clean so if I've got this right I can now convert the os partition to ntfs without losing the os, just making doubly sure as I don't want to have to buy a copy of xp if I don't have to.

wainuitech
11-11-2007, 10:50 AM
So I've run AVG and search & destroy so I'm sure its clean so if I've got this right I can now convert the os partition to ntfs without losing the os, just making doubly sure as I don't want to have to buy a copy of xp if I don't have to.

Hi Gary - theres only one thing thats certain in Computers - and any one who works with computers will tell you this NOTHING is certain. Things do go wrong sometimes, no matter how much care you take.

When you put you run AVG and Spybot and its clean - don't be 100% sure. See This post I did a while back (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=84375&highlight=Best+antivirus) Number 7. Spybot is Good - but lately it is also missing quite a few.

I suggest you do the following .
Download the Free version of Spyware Doctor from my Sig Below. Run that.
Back up all your data and items you can't aford to lose just in case something does go wrong (or clone the drive)

IF something did go wrong, you wouldn't have to purchase another copy of XP, as long as you have the XP CD, or can borrow one, then as long as you have the product key simply reuse it. If you don't know the key use Magical JellyBean (http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml) to tell you what it is.

After all those negitives :lol: its not all bad news. Most of the time the conversion goes with out a hitch, just not that fast. I did this exact same thing last week on a customers PC, took 5 hours to convert - but it did it.

Chilling_Silence
11-11-2007, 11:09 AM
Yes, you can convert without losing your data as has been mentioned, however, the Filesystem isnt related to your speed issues!

Bantu, the cmd.exe is nothing like MSDOS! ;)
DosBox is the closest you'll likely get to the real deal for gaming, but its still not even perfect.
And yes, you can do some commands with it, but I pity you if you're using pkzip to unzip files when WinZip / WinRAR will integrate nicely with the windows shell making it as easy as two clicks to extract the contents of a zip file.

wainuitech is right, as long as you've done the basics like an AV scan and a defrag, the conversion does go without a hitch.. even though I dont see why you would want to.

Lastly, the windows defragger doesnt do a *perfect* job, but it'll be fine for 99% of all users, so yeah... :)

Bantu
11-11-2007, 11:21 AM
Bantu, the cmd.exe is nothing like MSDOS! ;)

And yes, you can do some commands with it, but I pity you if you're using pkzip to unzip files when WinZip / WinRAR will integrate nicely with the windows shell making it as easy as two clicks to extract the contents of a zip file.

cmd has A LOT of similarities in my opinion.

Yes I use Winzip and Winrar. I wrote a faq for winzip years ago which was hosted on Niko Mac's website

gary67
11-11-2007, 05:22 PM
Hi Gary - theres only one thing thats certain in Computers - and any one who works with computers will tell you this NOTHING is certain. Things do go wrong sometimes, no matter how much care you take.

When you put you run AVG and Spybot and its clean - don't be 100% sure. See This post I did a while back (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=84375&highlight=Best+antivirus) Number 7. Spybot is Good - but lately it is also missing quite a few.

I suggest you do the following .
Download the Free version of Spyware Doctor from my Sig Below. Run that.
Back up all your data and items you can't aford to lose just in case something does go wrong (or clone the drive)

IF something did go wrong, you wouldn't have to purchase another copy of XP, as long as you have the XP CD, or can borrow one, then as long as you have the product key simply reuse it. If you don't know the key use Magical JellyBean (http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml) to tell you what it is.

After all those negitives :lol: its not all bad news. Most of the time the conversion goes with out a hitch, just not that fast. I did this exact same thing last week on a customers PC, took 5 hours to convert - but it did it.

Thanks Wainuitech you have answered my questions and told me all I needed to know and I'm grateful to you.