PDA

View Full Version : Suggest me a TV or/and capture card

Nomad
09-11-2007, 09:44 PM
Hi all,

I am thinking of getting a card for this purpose. Please suggest me one that is not too expensive, probably get from Ascent or such.

Do I need the expensive ones or not? I am looking for a TV card and a capture feature - ie., record tv shows onto avi files from VCR. We don't have a DVD Deck for the TV and that a $100 I guess card can be money well spent than spending on video tapes - I can also erase the current tapes and just use them for recordings for once off views and not need to buy anymore video tapes. Going via avi files can also be easier esp, if I have like 15min segments of stuff in it .. etc...

Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
10-11-2007, 06:06 AM
Any tuner SHOULD record in AVI or MPEG format.

With the program it came with. It'll depend on whether the program has an option to record in AVI format.

It depends on how much you want to spend.

Just as long as its got video in on it can capture video/sound from any external source (As long as the program has the option for it).

Even the leadtek deluxe tuner here can do it.

Bantu
10-11-2007, 06:08 AM
To record from a VCR depending on model, your capture card would need composite input. Depending on the software as to the captured file format.

To record from TV you would want a capture card that you plugged an aerial into with a splitter in your TV feed with one going to the TV card.

To record from a Satellite Dish Eg Freeview via a SkyTV dish you would want a card with DVB-S input. Midway through next year we should have Terrestrial input which would mean a UHF Aerial instead of a Sky Satellite dish and a DVB-T card. - Maybe a Skystar-2 DVB-S card for this method of capture. Or look at Hauppage.co.uk for some of their products that will do both DVB-S, Analogue and DVB-T.

I input from all three of these methods. My capture software does some in *.ts format, some in *.mpg format.

I used to use for capturing Analogue from VCR and Analogue camera a Canopus ADVC100 device. It had Analogue in/out and DV In/Out for feeding into the PC. This has been updated by the ADVC110. With this I could record to AVI.

One of my two Hauppage card has Composite In/Out so I can feed directly from my TV or Video or DVD Recorder or SKY-TV. What ever is playing to my TV at the time.

Speedy Gonzales
10-11-2007, 06:21 AM
A few tuners have 5 pin din plugs (this one's labelled CVBS I think it is).

For video input.

All I have to do, is connect an RCA / 5 pin plug adapter to video out on a video and the audio from the VCR to line in.

Use the leadtek progam / switch it to CVBS. Thats it.

The leadtek program, lets u save in MPG1/2/Uncompressed AVI/WMV.

Or can burn the recorded video directly to DVD / cd.

Nomad
10-11-2007, 03:07 PM
Hiya thanks, does this do what I want?
http://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=337385

Thanks.
If I get all the features I want like .. video input and its a tuner card. It should tv broadcast and capture video right? So then what is the diff .. between a cheap one and a expensive one? Is quality that much of a difference?

If for example another one, let's just say it has no sound input. Can I still use the soundcard or motherboard (sound builtin) to sync audio with the video capture card?

Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
10-11-2007, 03:14 PM
Do you want single tuner or dual tuner?

Normal TV or normal TV / satellite?

The prices between these would be a bit different.

This tuner costs 80-90 when I brought it. Does everything except receive satellite. Just a basic tuner, that gets the normal TV channels.

The recorded video is fine.

I would ask whether it can capture video, when you buy it. Some tuners MAY not record from an external source.

Nomad
10-11-2007, 03:20 PM
Oh yeah .. I just read something about digital terrestial tv.
Does this mean its a digital skybox/freeview inside it? So I don't need that box and just need a satellite dish?

Speedy Gonzales
10-11-2007, 03:20 PM
Hiya thanks, does this do what I want?
http://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=337385

Yup that should be fine, just the basic tuner, (normal TV channels tho), but lets you record from the tuner to the hdd, and from an external source.

I think thats the same tuner I've got here, but its not installed.

Speedy Gonzales
10-11-2007, 03:21 PM
Oh yeah .. I just read something about digital terrestial tv.
Does this mean its a digital skybox/freeview inside it? So I don't need that box and just need a satellite dish?

No, I dont think that tuner supports satellite, only normal TV.

Nomad
10-11-2007, 03:23 PM
I saw another Leadtek that said that for $40 more.
If I get those ones .. does it work without a skybox or freeview box?

Speedy Gonzales
10-11-2007, 03:29 PM
If it says DVB-S its satellite, you'll need the dish tho.

And if its DVB-T its terrestrial which isnt out yet for Freeview.

It'll work with a normal aerial, but you'll have to wait for that to come out next year.

I doubt you'll get Sky without paying for it tho. If you get a DVB-S tuner.

Nomad
10-11-2007, 03:35 PM
Oh yeah .. sky. We have subscribed it. Technically, it might not be possible for a Sky customer to use without the Skybox because we need the sky card right?

I gotta think about it. There are some free satellite channels or terrestrial though.

Speedy Gonzales
10-11-2007, 03:41 PM
Oh yeah .. sky. We have subscribed it. Technically, it might not be possible for a Sky customer to use without the Skybox because we need the sky card right?

Thats a good point. I dont think Sky will work without the card.

I dont know, I gave up Sky years ago.

Nomad
10-11-2007, 03:43 PM
Hmm. so. I am not so sure about terrestrial then .. maybe it would be good, dunno. But I would of liked satellite if not sky I could of gotten some free to air international channels with a larger dish. I think about it .. maybe I get the cheapier $77 instead.

Bantu
10-11-2007, 05:57 PM
And if its DVB-T its terrestrial which isnt out yet for Freeview.

It'll work with a normal aerial, but you'll have to wait for that to come out next year.

Not normal aerial Speedy, it will need to be a UHF Aerial for DVB-T

Bantu
10-11-2007, 06:02 PM
Hmm. so. I am not so sure about terrestrial then .. maybe it would be good, dunno. But I would of liked satellite if not sky I could of gotten some free to air international channels with a larger dish. I think about it .. maybe I get the cheapier $77 instead.

Large dish would be required 100cm plus and multiple LNB's. Each LNB points to a Satellite so you can get a motorised LNB/Dish to move from one Satellite to another or maybe a 3 or 4 LNB setup all pointing at different Satellites.

Then you would need set up your cards correctly, probably maybe 2-4 cards if your going to input to your PC.

Just one DBV-S card and a Sat Dish 60CM (or use the Sky Dish, Sky are normally 60CM) you can actually get all the Sky channels but you can't see them as they are encrypted.

I think you can get Sky via UHF, but not positive on that, I have not tried it yet.

IF you have a Sky decoder you can hook into Sky out, where it goes to your TV and feed that to your PC via Composite cables but you can then only record the channel that is viewing at the time to your PC.

Nomad
10-11-2007, 08:05 PM
Ok, I don't need the terrestrial one.
Not much point in buying for future anyway since it may not work with windows whatever future version. For the next few yrs I won't be using terrestrial since we have a skybox deck and even so .. its unlikely we will moved the PC to the living room and hook up.

So the leadteak or Gigabyte - the GB one has a FM tuner as well.
Any thoughts?

http://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=355887