PDA

View Full Version : CPU Temp @ 7C?

Pourhommenz
09-11-2007, 02:21 PM
Hey -

Yet another question about my new set up!!

When I check the BIOS and the Asus tools for my P5K Premium - they are both saying that the CPU temperature is 7 ~ 10C (have seen it drop to 2 at one point).

What controls the temperature readings for the motherboard?

I'm using a Duo Core 2 - E6850 and a Asus Silent Knight II CPU cooler (with ALOT of termal paste on it).

I mean I'll be stoaked if this is the real temperature but some how I don't believe it ...

DeSade
09-11-2007, 02:24 PM
I would doubt that something that generates heat would have a temp lower than room temp.

wainuitech
09-11-2007, 02:31 PM
There have been several reports / Questions regarding the Duo Core 2 temp in these forums latley, single digit figures are common.

The Duo Core 2 do run a LOT cooler than the older CPU's.
I you think about it, the CPU runs cooler anyway and you have a fan blowing cool air on the CPU all the time, thats basically doing Nothing when idle - so it is going to get cooler than air temp.

Pourhommenz
09-11-2007, 02:43 PM
Have just been reading some information on TomsHardware - thinking of running Prime 95's "torture test" on the CPU to see if I can get the temp up?

So - for now - I can assume that the temp reading is correct?

The motherboard temp seems to be fine - stable between 20 ~ 25C which is believable and the ambiant case temp sits around 28, so I know these are right.

beeswax34
09-11-2007, 02:50 PM
So, you don't want your CPU's temperature to be low? I guess you'd be the only one. Get SIW by Gabriel Topola and see what that says about the temperatures throughout your system.

PaulD
09-11-2007, 02:59 PM
the last time I looked into a reported temp issue it was on an AMD Barton CPU.
The sensing diode was read by a Winbond chip then the value was modified by an offset to make it sensible before the BIOS displayed it. The offset figure was changed several times in different BIOS updates. Something similar could be happening here except that nobody has decided what the offset should be.

You'd need a lot of airflow to get lower than ambient temps.

"with ALOT of termal paste on it" usually is a recipe for disaster.

Pourhommenz
09-11-2007, 03:05 PM
So I have done something wrong?

PaulD
09-11-2007, 03:20 PM
The thermal paste just needs to be enough to fill any small gaps, a thicker layer doesn't help. You are transferring heat from the CPU to the heat sink any excess in the middle is an interruption.

qazwsxokmijn
09-11-2007, 05:44 PM
My E6750 at default 2.66GHz was 9 degrees idle in winter. In hot weather, idle temps are around 15 degrees. Load temps never exceed 48.

Now at 3.2GHz, idle temps are around 20-25, and load 45-50.

Since I updated to my P5K's latest BIOS (which supposedly fixes C2D temp interpretation), the temperatures seem to remain about the same.

george12
09-11-2007, 06:04 PM
If the room is at (say) 20 degrees how could the CPU possibly be as low as 2!

It can't really be below room temperature, because the air being blowing through the fan is at room temperature. "Cool air" just feels cool, but is really no cooler than room temperature unless air conditioning is involved.

Of course if you live in Dunedin and these temps happen on horrible sub-zero nights, then maybe it's correct...

Deane F
09-11-2007, 10:30 PM
Yep, my E6750 temps (o'clocked to 3.2 GHz at 1.376v) are pretty low. I've got them as high as 48 degrees - but only after about 2 hrs of Orthos. The highest they get under load (ie: gaming) are 29 - 30 degrees. Sits at idle around 16 -17 degrees.

Hey, if you're worried that it's too low - you could always overclock....

motorbyclist
09-11-2007, 10:45 PM
(with ALOT of termal paste on it).

more is not better. the whole point of thermal paste is to conduct heat from cpu to cooler, and it help is that it fills all the air gaps that would otherwise be insulation the two.

more paste means more of a barrier between the cpu and cooler

The Duo Core 2 do run a LOT cooler than the older CPU's.
I you think about it, the CPU runs cooler anyway and you have a fan blowing cool air on the CPU all the time, thats basically doing Nothing when idle - so it is going to get cooler than air temp.

no, if you think about it is impossible to make your cpu colder that the air you are passing over it. little thing they like to call the laws of thermodynamics:lol:

the reason it makes us cold is that it evaporates sweat off us, which carries enthalpy (heat) from us into the air increasing it's entropy (disorder, ie the relatively calm, organised liquid turns into random, high velocity gas).

unless you have water evaporating off your cooler, it can't get lower than air temp (compressing the air changes it's temp, so you can cool with a jet of compressed air that was originally room temp, but that's another story)

the reason the temp is being displayed as being so low is because it's being read incorrectly on the diode or whatever takes the temperature.

be concerned, because you don't know how hot it really is, but on the other hand, dont worry too much cause if you had a reasonable number, but that was still 20 degrees out, you could cook your chip and still think you're in the safe zone. atleast you know it's wrong.

best you can do is get one of those infra-red laser thermometers and point it at the chip and see what it says

qazwsxokmijn
09-11-2007, 11:55 PM
Try touching the fins of the heatsink after 5-10 minutes of idling.

My E6750 heatsink fins are never warm when the CPU is idle, instead they are fairly cool to touch. My Pentium D heatsink, on the other hand, can be felt as warm even when the Pentium D CPU is idle.

motorbyclist
10-11-2007, 12:18 AM
just a thought (thinking about how most metal at room temperature is cool to the touch), if your CPU was really 7C, you'd be seeing condensation on the cooler which should be even colder than 7! (obviously condensation would only be on areas with little air flow)

Deane F
10-11-2007, 07:13 AM
A guide on Core Duo temperatures can be found here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-quad-temperature-guide

george12
10-11-2007, 10:19 AM
Where do you live, and what, roughly, is the room temperature when your CPU is supposedly at 7 degrees?

powerover
10-11-2007, 01:57 PM
no, if you think about it is impossible to make your cpu colder that the air you are passing over it. little thing they like to call the laws of thermodynamics:lol:

I agree. it is against the first and second law of thermaldynamics.

something must be wrong with the device which is reading the temperature----unless your room temperature is lower than your CPU's idle temperature.

and by the way, metal in room temperature feels colder than wood or some other stuff does doesn't mean it's temperature is lower....it is something to do with the thermal conductivity......

motorbyclist
10-11-2007, 02:52 PM
and by the way, metal in room temperature feels colder than wood or some other stuff does doesn't mean it's temperature is lower....it is something to do with the thermal conductivity......

draws more heat from our skin, giving the sensation of coldness, whereas wood is a poor heat conductor. similarly hot metal feels hotter (burns you faster) than wood of the same temp

Pourhommenz
10-11-2007, 03:01 PM
K - room temp here is prob around 22c?

I'm on the northshore in Auckland.

Just looking at Asus Probe now: -

Vcore - 1.16v
+3.3 - 3.26
+5 - 5.11
+12 - 11.76
CPU - 9C < - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
MB - 35C
CPU - 2500 RPM
Chassis1 - 1394

motorbyclist
10-11-2007, 03:06 PM
well the probe is pretty obviously wrong

powerover
10-11-2007, 06:02 PM
draws more heat from our skin, giving the sensation of coldness, whereas wood is a poor heat conductor. similarly hot metal feels hotter (burns you faster) than wood of the same temp

exactly..:thumbs:

Pourhommenz
10-11-2007, 06:22 PM
K - gone and checked in the BIOS as well and same thing

beeswax34
10-11-2007, 08:44 PM
Like I said in my earlier post, why don't you get SIW and see what it says?

Here's what it says for me:

Property Value
Temperature:

CPU Core 0 30 C (86 F)
CPU Core 1 27 C (81 F)
GPU 52 C (126 F)
ST3250820AS 31 C (88 F)

Pourhommenz
10-11-2007, 09:46 PM
Property Value
CPU Core 0 Temperature 47 C (117 F)
CPU Core 1 Temperature 46 C (115 F)
CPU Temperature 50 C (122 F)
GPU Temperature 50 C (122 F)
Battery Temperature 31 C (88 F)
HDD Temperature (HITACHI HTS541616J9SA00) 36 C (97 F)

How can it know what my HDD temp is????

And im guessin this is right? Why doesn't it show my MB temp? And 50 degrees ..... ins't that a little high for idle?

Pourhommenz
10-11-2007, 09:55 PM
Sorry that last post was wrong:

Property Value
CPU Core 0 Temperature 11 C (52 F)
CPU Core 1 Temperature 7 C (45 F)
HDD Temperature (ST3160827AS) 27 C (81 F)
HDD Temperature (ST3500630AS) 28 C (82 F)

Thats what it says from the program SIW