PDA

View Full Version : Swapping HD issue

Erroneouz
09-11-2007, 08:53 AM
I have a pc that has gone down on me. I am able to take my hard drive and set it to slave and access it through another pc that also runs XP, but why can I not install it as a master and just boot up? Is there a proper way to do this that I am over looking? I'd appreciate any assistance.

-Erron

Speedy Gonzales
09-11-2007, 08:59 AM
What happened when u put the jumper on master??

Did the BIOS detect it when you put the jumper on master?

What else was on the same IDE connection when it was on master??

Anything else?

Was this hdd the bootable disk in the BIOS?

I take it, there is an OS on it, so it can boot?

wainuitech
09-11-2007, 09:01 AM
If the Old Drive is working, and you connect it to another PC as Master, and try to boot, it will usually attempt to start, then at some point it may simply blue screen and reboot.
This is because the software / drivers that are on the original Hard Drive, are not working with the other PC's components, you need to have the correct drivers for the hardware.

You can normally get around this by doing a non Distructive reinstall, then load in the correct drivers.

What happens when you try to boot with the old Hard Drive. ?

Erroneouz
09-11-2007, 09:41 AM
If the Old Drive is working, and you connect it to another PC as Master, and try to boot, it will usually attempt to start, then at some point it may simply blue screen and reboot.
This is because the software / drivers that are on the original Hard Drive, are not working with the other PC's components, you need to have the correct drivers for the hardware.

You can normally get around this by doing a non Distructive reinstall, then load in the correct drivers.

What happens when you try to boot with the old Hard Drive. ?

Yes that is exactly what was happening. It was bluescreening and restarting, I'm currently trying just using it as a slave on a different pc. The old pc had something board level go out I think the mboard just popped. So I'm trying to find an easy way to get my outlook 2003 transferred, I can't find the CD anywhere =\. It's been a long day, thanks for the help guys...know any ways to copy outlook and get the install.exe and install it? Or would that even work?

Bantu
09-11-2007, 09:46 AM
You can transfer your outlook.pst file which holds all your data, emails, contacts etc. But as far as transferring the program that is not going to happen, it needs to be installed through the install process.

SOME programs don't but Outlook does.

wainuitech
09-11-2007, 10:52 AM
Bantu is correct, some programs have to be installed from the original CD.

What you do, is first, copy all the data you want to another PC, just in case this goes wrong- then as long as you have the XP CD do a non Distructive reinstall on the Old HD in the other working PC.

Heres How:

You will need your 25 digit product key for this.

Place XP CD in drive: Reboot or shutdown and start PC.
1.When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
2.Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.
3.Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.
4.In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
5.Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.
6.Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

Install any drivers relating to the hardware on this PC.

You may need to reactivate windows, simply call MS tell tehm your Mother Board blew and its been reinstalled on another Board - the original is DEAD. You may get the third degree - but usually they relicence the COA to the now workable MB.

All your data / programs etc should be there intact.

Erroneouz
10-11-2007, 08:53 AM
Bantu is correct, some programs have to be installed from the original CD.

What you do, is first, copy all the data you want to another PC, just in case this goes wrong- then as long as you have the XP CD do a non Distructive reinstall on the Old HD in the other working PC.

Heres How:

You will need your 25 digit product key for this.

Place XP CD in drive: Reboot or shutdown and start PC.
1.When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
2.Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.
3.Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.
4.In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
5.Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.
6.Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

Install any drivers relating to the hardware on this PC.

You may need to reactivate windows, simply call MS tell tehm your Mother Board blew and its been reinstalled on another Board - the original is DEAD. You may get the third degree - but usually they relicence the COA to the now workable MB.

All your data / programs etc should be there intact.

Yes I have had luck in the past with calling with issues close to the same losing a HD and my product key(I always lose it somehow). They were even kind enough to walk me through the process on editing the registry values on admin to make it work then they sent me an email with the link to explain that walk through....yeah then I lost the link gg.