PDA

View Full Version : Bista HD space

jwil1
08-11-2007, 09:22 PM
Hi all

How much HD space does a 'normal' Vista install take up? I have looked on the sys reqs for Vista, but previous experience has led me not to trust the HD recommendations on OS products my MS! For reference, a fresh copy of XP takes ~2GB.

And, what is the recommended 'minimum' size for a Vista HD (need at least 160GB of free space)?

Thanks.

PaulD
08-11-2007, 09:39 PM
Hi all

How much HD space does a 'normal' Vista install take up?

I'd say you could buy 320GB for the price of a Vista install :D

Speedy Gonzales
08-11-2007, 09:53 PM
15 GB or something isnt it?

beeswax34
08-11-2007, 10:46 PM
Hi all

How much HD space does a 'normal' Vista install take up? I have looked on the sys reqs for Vista, but previous experience has led me not to trust the HD recommendations on OS products my MS! For reference, a fresh copy of XP takes ~2GB.

And, what is the recommended 'minimum' size for a Vista HD (need at least 160GB of free space)?

Thanks.

No. Whoever said 160GB is lying AND is wrong. Here's the system requirements straight from Microsoft's website:

* 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
* 512 MB of system memory
* 20 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space
* Support for DirectX 9 graphics and 32 MB of graphics memory
* DVD-ROM drive
* Audio Output
* Internet access (fees may apply)

zqwerty
08-11-2007, 11:55 PM
Foolishly I only allowed 11.5Gig HDD space on the first partition for my main XP OS, sadly this is not large enough and soon I will be increasing it to 20Gig.

I suggest that you allocate at least 25Gig for Vista but I don't actually know the correct figure as I have not used the OS yet and with current reports I don't think I will.

Ubuntu is on the way in a CD right now and I will be trying it out.

autechre
09-11-2007, 08:56 AM
Foolishly I only allowed 11.5Gig HDD space on the first partition for my main XP OS, sadly this is not large enough and soon I will be increasing it to 20Gig.

Hmm... i think my XP partitions are only 5 or 6GB and I have 3+GB free on one and 2GB on the other.

The only thing I have on there is the OS & programs, any data is on other partitions/drives.