PDA

View Full Version : wiring for phone cables

chiefnz
08-11-2007, 06:46 PM
Okay... after more months of frustrating internet access I finally decided to do some snooping around my house and have a look at the wiring.

It appears that every connection box (4) I have in the house has 2 sets of cables hooked up to them. I can only assume that the landlord has "daisy chained" all the connections together from the main line which comes into the house. So basically what this means is that the minute any of the boxes have the wires disconnected everything goes dead. Thus far I have removed one connection box after joining the wires from each cable together.

What does the phone cable look like... I mean all the connections have telephone cables which you get in a store but there is one connection box which has a black cable and it seems quite hardier than the other cables and the colours of the individual wires inside this cable is different.

Main cable??? (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/DSCN0019.jpg)

Other cables??? (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/DSCN0017.jpg)

If this is the main phone cable then what I would do is connect it to the connection box which is in the study where the PC and lappies are.

I'm hoping this would improve my speeds a bit. Where would I get diagrams of the wring so I know which terminals to connect the wires to?

Am I better off getting Telecom to do it for me?

Any help appreciated...

Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
08-11-2007, 07:01 PM
Dick smith (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.filereader?4732ac7800d1f280273fc0a87f330708+EN/catalogs/LRN0002189) have a diagram.

Showing how to wire 2 wire sockets.

decibel
08-11-2007, 07:06 PM
The thick black cable is the cable coming in from the street - just 2 wires are used. It is connected to a "Master" jack in your case - note the blue bell capacitor. The other grey cable connects to the other "slave" jacks using 3 wires.

If you are using ADSL, you really want to get away from your "3 wire" system and go "2 wire" and have a central splitter installed.

It's a bit hard to say much more without knowing about your house layout and how handy you are with wiring.

Do you have a Krone tool to terminate wires in the jacks?

PaulD
08-11-2007, 07:17 PM
It appears that every connection box (4) I have in the house has 2 sets of cables hooked up to them. I can only assume that the landlord has "daisy chained" all the connections together from the main line which comes into the house. So basically what this means is that the minute any of the boxes have the wires disconnected everything goes dead. Thus far I have removed one connection box after joining the wires from each cable together.

Nothing to do with the landlord, that was the standard way of doing things.

What does the phone cable look like... I mean all the connections have telephone cables which you get in a store but there is one connection box which has a black cable and it seems quite hardier than the other cables and the colours of the individual wires inside this cable is different.

Main cable??? (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/DSCN0019.jpg)

Other cables??? (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/DSCN0017.jpg)

The black sheathed cable is incoming from the street. It should have been connected to similar wiring to the internal cables instead of being directly connected to the jack as those terms are for same diameter wires.

The other jack with internal cables is showing some signs of corrosion.

If this is the main phone cable then what I would do is connect it to the connection box which is in the study where the PC and lappies are.

I'm hoping this would improve my speeds a bit. Where would I get diagrams of the wring so I know which terminals to connect the wires to?

Am I better off getting Telecom to do it for me?

http://www.telecom.co.nz/binarys/step_by_step_2_wire.pdf

Your jacks are earlier 3 wire that should be updated esp if they have started corroding.

Before you shift the wiring you could always try it from jack where the incoming cable terminates.

What makes you think your problems are caused by wiring?

chiefnz
08-11-2007, 11:20 PM
So basically I need to get "2-wire" sockets for the house. From the instructions I need to keep using the black wire and the yellow wire (connectors 2 and 5) and then wire the other sockets appropriately?

I'm a bit confused as to how you go from 3 wire to 2 wire... what happens with the 3rd wire?

I'm pretty handy with tools and have reasonable electronics skills... don't have a krone tool but can get one at work... not a problem.

Any more hints would be great.

Cheers

PaulD
09-11-2007, 05:34 AM
The 3rd wire used to start at the capacitor in the master jack and daisy chain its way around all the other jacks. 2 wire jacks had their own capacitors and the Krone blocks changed to being 1 block of 3 terminals for each wire of the pair. Where possible only terminate 1 wire per slot, 2 max if same diameter.

Most telephones don't need the jack capacitor now and it's possible that it's been removed on new jacks.

Digby
09-11-2007, 05:46 AM
I'm on ADSL in a rented house with 5 jacks 3wire.

I had all sorts of problems with my broadband, It was so unreliable connecting and I had to re-boot, reset my router etc, but what usually worked was making some phone calls (to 123) as my line was noisy (crackling etc) and this seemed to connect me.

I toyed with getting a sparkie in, but then I tried a different jack and it works much better !

So I am convinced that if you and I get a new 2 wire master jack fitted things will go much better.

I am not sure weather to ask my landlord to pay for it or just get it done and pay for it myself !

Regards

Digby

PaulD
09-11-2007, 06:43 AM
I am not sure weather to ask my landlord to pay for it or just get it done and pay for it myself !

You are the one paying for the phone, do you pay for the wiring maintenance option? That would cover faulty hardware.

The wiring and Jacks do belong to the owner of the house so you could ask.