PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express hassle

chicken one
08-11-2007, 12:50 PM
I have PC with XP AND Outlook Express 6. I have my hotmail as an account on the view page.
Problem I have is it when opened or send/receive button pressed it downloads the hotmail first and then and only then will it got to xtra email.
If for any reason hotmail wont download, for god knows what reasons it wont skip and go to download my xtra emails.
Can I change the sequence OE downloads the emails? so it does the pop3 ones first and lastly checks hotmail.

Thanks
C1

chicken one
08-11-2007, 12:53 PM
Bother looks like I posted this in the wrong section of F1 could the maintainer please shift it
cheers
C1

wainuitech
08-11-2007, 12:57 PM
This post should be in the PressF1 - but you can try opening Outlook Express > Tools >Accounts, Under the Mail Tab, select the Account you want to come in first as default ( Select it, then click " Set as Default" on the right hand side).

chicken one
08-11-2007, 03:51 PM
This post should be in the PressF1 - but you can try opening Outlook Express > Tools >Accounts, Under the Mail Tab, select the Account you want to come in first as default ( Select it, then click " Set as Default" on the right hand side).

I know I posted it in wrong area hence thread 2 down,.
Thanks for advice will try tonight when I get home.

C1

wainuitech
08-11-2007, 04:42 PM
I know I posted it in wrong area hence thread 2 down,.
Thanks for advice will try tonight when I get home.

C1 Thats Ok, I was writing it the same time you were I think, I was also just checking the correct settings, so the times over lapped. :thumbs:

The clock for postings in here is not exactly the most accurate :groan: :D

chicken one
09-11-2007, 08:46 AM
It is ticked as default At the moment I cant download any emails as it is still trying to download hotmail.
C1

wainuitech
09-11-2007, 09:09 AM
Hotmail has changed, you used to be able to download with outlook Express, but like every thing these days, its now a paid service if you want Outlook Express to bring it in.

But You can try reading This article (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/mailserver.mspx) and see if the setting provided work.

Speedy Gonzales
09-11-2007, 09:12 AM
It depends on WHEN you signed up for hotmail.

I'm pretty sure, if its an old account, you can use OE for Hotmail.

Well it worked here.

If you cant, it SHOULD bring up an error.

Which means:

1. You've signed up to Hotmail recently
2. You cant download hotmail email using OE.

drcspy
09-11-2007, 05:46 PM
Hotmail has changed, you used to be able to download with outlook Express, but like every thing these days, its now a paid service if you want Outlook Express to bring it in.

funny thing but it works fine for me...........as speedy said tho it usually only works with OLD hotmail addys

chicken one
09-11-2007, 09:36 PM
Hotmail downloads normaly on my Outlook Express.
Only problem is OE downloads first if any problems it doesnt skip to pop3.
C1

Safari
09-11-2007, 10:09 PM
C1

This is for OE 5 but should be the same for OE 6
Outlook Express synchronizes mail accounts alphabetically based on the "friendly name" of the accounts. To change the order in which the accounts are checked for new messages, rename one or more of the accounts.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=224416

wainuitech
09-11-2007, 10:12 PM
Am I missing something here, In Post 6 it was said:

It is ticked as default At the moment I cant download any emails as it is still trying to download hotmail.

NOW in Post 10 :

So which is it ?

What ever account is set as default is what will download first.

Safari
09-11-2007, 10:17 PM
Am I missing something here, In Post 6 it was said:

NOW in Post 10 :

So which is it ?

What ever account is set as default is what will download first.

No it won't
The account that is set as default is only for sending mail. This is the account that will appear as default when you got to send a new message.

FoxyMX
10-11-2007, 09:01 AM
I don't get it. Why don't you just go into the Hotmail account's Properties and remove the tick from "Include this account when receiving mail". Then, when your POP mail has finished downloading, go to Send/Receive and click on the Hotmail account to download manually. That way YOU get to decide when your Hotmail account downloads your mail.

wainuitech
10-11-2007, 09:13 AM
No it won't
The account that is set as default is only for sending mail. This is the account that will appear as default when you got to send a new message. Okay my mistake on that - sorry , Don't always think 100% after a few drinks late on a friday - I don't use the hot mail any way as its a haven for spam, and we all get enough of that without inviting it.:D

All that aside, the question I asked was which statement is correct, in Post 6 says hotmail is NOT working, then in post 10 it says it IS ?

So which is it, cant be both :rolleyes:

Safari
10-11-2007, 09:21 AM
I don't get it. Why don't you just go into the Hotmail account's Properties and remove the tick from "Include this account when receiving mail". Then, when your POP mail has finished downloading, go to Send/Receive and click on the Hotmail account to download manually. That way YOU get to decide when your Hotmail account downloads your mail.

Good point Foxy, I was going to suggest that but it seemed too obvious and as the poster seemed to be quite concerned with the problem I though they might have it set to check for new mail automatically every xx mins and did not want to have to do a manual check.