PDA

View Full Version : fire wall

JJJJJ
08-11-2007, 07:53 AM
I hav copied the following from another forum. There were no replies to it and I would like to know too.

"I use the freeware Sygate Firewall - it seems to work fine for me and, after installing some new programme, if the programme attempts to connect to the Internet, the firewall tells me and I can either approve it or not. The firewall programme keeps a list of programmes that I have approved to connect to the net - either for it to connect automatically or to ask me each time. So far -so good.

However, sometimes I receive strange requests to connect to the net - that I don't exactly know what is attempting to connect and for what reason. For example, I get quite a few requests by "Generic Host Process for Win32 - SVCHOST.EXE" and even "Windows Explorer.EXE". Does anybody know of a way to decipher why these things want to connect to the Internet. I keep saying "NO" - and my computer seems to act normally after that, everything appears to work OK so these attempts at connection do not appear to be vital.

Any help much appreciated."

Speedy Gonzales
08-11-2007, 08:20 AM
Some programs use those files for different things (more than 1 program).

Windows Explorer.exe maybe my computer, when you run it.

Any firewall you use, will ask permission for those files to be added to the firewall (besides windows explorer.exe).

Altho, this maybe under a different name (depending on what firewall is installed).

pctek
08-11-2007, 08:36 AM
However, sometimes I receive strange requests to connect to the net - that I don't exactly know what is attempting to connect and for what reason. For example, I get quite a few requests by "Generic Host Process for Win32 - SVCHOST.EXE" and even "Windows Explorer.EXE".

Its a matter of knowing what each of these Windows files does and whether or not they are necessary.

Simple rule to follow:

Generic Host Processes is the ONLY Windows file you need to allow.
The rest are just trying to phone home.

Greg
08-11-2007, 08:44 AM
svchost.exe I think is used as part of any network connection. No other Windows proccesses need to connect, eg Windows Explorer - block that.