PDA

View Full Version : Torrent behind a firewall ?!?

Pourhommenz
07-11-2007, 05:57 PM
Hey all -

Really technical question here but I need like a - simplistic answer as well.

I have a firewall at work (seems to be a fairly strong one too) and it completely prohibits torrent downloading. I wants to know if there is a way around this?

I have found some infromation on the net about it - a program called StockCap but the program has expired (expired in 2006 o_O) and can't seem to find a working version anywhere.

I have also downloaded HTTP-Tunnel.

I think the way this WAS going to work was change the TCP UTP connections to HTTP and the HTTP-Tunnel would do something else and let me download the stuff I wanted.

Does anyone know a way to get this dene as that program is not working anymore? (Pin holing is NOT an option)

Cheers !!!

Speedy Gonzales
07-11-2007, 06:21 PM
And are you allowed to do this at work??

If not, forget it.

If you dont own the computer, and you're not the employer, I wouldnt try / risk it on a work computer.

And I dont think anyone here, will help you try and bypass the firewall.

Pourhommenz
07-11-2007, 06:28 PM
I am an employee and there are no uses to say we are not allowed to - its just its there to stop peopel getting into the network and accessing information

Speedy Gonzales
07-11-2007, 06:30 PM
And using programs for torrents.

If you have IT people, ask them.

The firewall is there for a REASON.

How DO you know you're allowed to? Did you ask?

You said it in the 1st post, it prohibits torrents, so why ask here?

The_End_Of_Reality
07-11-2007, 07:11 PM
As Speedy said, the firewall is there for a reason and if it blocks torrent traffic, then you are not supposed to use it for that.

I am sure depending on the size of the company that the net bill is large just for surfing, I would hate to think of the bill for the company I work for just on surfing alone... :eek:

beeswax34
07-11-2007, 07:23 PM
There are HUGE legal implications if you break any rules AND if your downloading inadvertently causes a virus or some malware getting into the company's network.

The_End_Of_Reality
07-11-2007, 07:35 PM
There are HUGE legal implications if you break any rules AND if your downloading inadvertently causes a virus or some malware getting into the company's network. There are legal uses for torrents too ;)

Jen
07-11-2007, 07:49 PM
There are legal uses for torrents too ;)This thread is about by-passing a firewall without the network admins knowledge, not whether torrents can be legal or not.

Most companies, especially one as large as the NZ Yellow Pages (Pourhommenz has repeatedly stated he works for them), will have a internet access policy for their employees.

Easy answer Pourhommenz, just ask your network admin for this policy and tell them you wish to use their broadband for downloading via torrents with. Let us know their reply. :D

Small tip: you will find routine monitoring and logging of internet access is part of most companies internet access policies so it will really pay to read this before having to explain your actions when you are caught to the boss.

The_End_Of_Reality
07-11-2007, 08:07 PM
This thread is about by-passing a firewall without the network admins knowledge, not whether torrents can be legal or not. Yes, quite true, I didn't read the post properly :groan: :o disregard then

Renmoo
07-11-2007, 08:09 PM
So......

</thread>?

beeswax34
07-11-2007, 09:41 PM
So......

</thread>?

It would be if we were actually telling him how to breach the firewall. He asked, we din't help so theres nothing wrong or illegal going on... yet.

Term_X
07-11-2007, 10:40 PM
for all the effort required, why bother??

my brother used to be a trainer for yellow pages travelling all over the north island. he'd laugh if i showed him the nature of this thread. bypass the firewall to let the torrent tracker and hellooo a serious virus could piggyback along for the ride.

stephen
08-11-2007, 06:15 AM
Is it prohibiting the download of the actual .torrent file? or just the traffic generated by uTorrent or whatever client you are using?

If it's not letting you download the actual .torrent file, you can try saving it as a .txt file instead, and then rename it, or if the tracker has it, download it from https.

Pourhommenz
08-11-2007, 07:58 AM
It is actually for ligitimate use - I want to be able to download files from my home computer via torrents instead of e-mailed them to me, so I can work at home.

It appears its the traffic thats not connecting - not the .torrent being blocked

Speedy Gonzales
08-11-2007, 08:14 AM
It doesnt matter if its for legitimate use. Or not

If the firewall is blocking it, you cant do much about it.

Accept that you cant do it from work.

Jan Birkeland
08-11-2007, 08:32 AM
Thread locked for fairly obvious reasons, this discussion will just end up going in circles.