PDA

View Full Version : Help with transfering video files for editing.

shomenno
06-11-2007, 02:52 PM
I have a question about how to import a video into my computer so I can edit it.

I use an iMac and use iMovie, this shouldn't be a major as the problem lies in the format the file is in.

First off, I plugged my video camera into my DVD/Harddrive recorder and transfered the video. Now I have decided to record it onto DVD from the DVD/Harddrive recorder, however when I place the DVD disc into my computer I get VTS files which I can't seem to transfer tot he computer.

Help! how on earth can I transfer the video files into my computer for editing?

Ta, Shomenno

Bantu
06-11-2007, 03:12 PM
Take a look at some of your setting in iMovie, it should be grabbing it from the camera via a USB port in MOV format.

If the camera is turned on when you plug it in iMovie should see it.

Winmacguy would know but not seen him in a while.

DuyNZ
06-11-2007, 03:47 PM
I have a question about how to import a video into my computer so I can edit it.

I use an iMac and use iMovie, this shouldn't be a major as the problem lies in the format the file is in.

First off, I plugged my video camera into my DVD/Harddrive recorder and transfered the video. Now I have decided to record it onto DVD from the DVD/Harddrive recorder, however when I place the DVD disc into my computer I get VTS files which I can't seem to transfer tot he computer.

Ta, Shomenno

Hello there!
You can plug your video camera into you iMac via Firewire port so that you can transfer your video into your iMovie. Try it and good luck!

Mercury
06-11-2007, 03:53 PM
The last time I used a Mac and iMovie was at tech a few years ago.

However... my daughter was creating a movie for an assignment on the PC using Ulead. I set her going, helped on and off then forgot about it. She finished and handed it in. The lecturer had problems opening it and pointed out she'd sent the Ulead file instead of the movie file.

On finishing it, instead of going to Share and creating the movie she had just copied the file to disk. This file didn't have the movie in it - just a small file containing links to all the bits.

VTS. Is that an iMovie link file rather than the movie itself?

kahawai chaser
06-11-2007, 04:55 PM
I always thought vts files, reference, or act as pointers to a vob file in the overall dvd format structure. They help by receiving commands from the VIDEO_TS.IFO file, to tell a dvd player what order to play the vob files. Something like this:

VIDEO_TS.IFO
VIDEO_TS.VOB
VIDEO_TS.BUP
VTS_01_0.IFO
VTS_01_0.VOB
VTS_01_1.VOB
VTS_01_2.VOB
etc,...

As suggested above, perhaps not all of the file formats are being imported it seems...

plod
06-11-2007, 08:08 PM

Ta, Shomenno

What version of imovie are you using? And what camera?