PDA

View Full Version : linux......

aidanmaz
06-11-2007, 09:02 AM
whats the best version of linux to use on an Acer Aspire 3680 laptop? I did install ubuntu 7.0.4 (was on PC World DVD earlier this year) but there doesnt appear to be any sound, the laptop uses Realek HD audio. and a quick note.....how on earth do u install things on linux......its not double click exes...... any help wud b awesome :-p

Erayd
06-11-2007, 09:12 AM
What tasks are you wanting to perform on it, and how much experience do you have using Linux? Different distros are good for different things.

...how on earth do u install things on linux......its not double click exes...In most distributions of Linux, you use a program known as a 'package manager'. For ubuntu, this usually means Adept (usually on the menu as 'Add / Remove Programs'). Just tick the box next to what you want installed and click the 'Apply' button - it's as easy as that!

...but there doesnt appear to be any sound, the laptop uses Realek HD audio...More than likely the sound is simply muted (it sometimes is by default) - Linux has had driver support for this in the kernel for a while. Try having a close look at your mixer, and make sure there aren't any hardware mute switches or volume knobs on your laptop that are turned off / down.

aidanmaz
06-11-2007, 09:20 AM
thanks......other than installing ubuntu no experience but i dont mind learning. Tasks.....just web browsing, spreadsheets word processing and the occasional music cd or DVD movie, i have a full desktop for games and such.

Erayd
06-11-2007, 09:41 AM
In that case Ubuntu will probably fit the bill just fine. Note however that if you are a 'power user' you will probably find it a bit limiting once you really start to get the hang of things; you may wish to switch distros at that point.

Did having a play with your mixer solve the sound problem?

aidanmaz
06-11-2007, 10:08 AM
not sure.....i got frustrated and wiped linux off, so its a blank laptop currently. Will reinstall and let u know cheers :-p so installing AVG free, would that be in add/remove apps like you mentioned....

Speedy Gonzales
06-11-2007, 10:25 AM
Unless AVG have a version for Linux it wont have it. Or be in Adept in Linux.

I dont think Linux has any AV programs does it? Or needs any.

Erayd
06-11-2007, 10:25 AM
...so installing AVG free, would that be in add/remove apps like you mentioned....Nope - there is no reason to run an antivirus product unless you intend to download dodgy files and then pass them on to other windows systems. Your Ubuntu system simply isn't vulnerable to them, and as such has no need for a scanner. If you do want a virus scanner, install ClamAV - however note that this scans for Windows viruses, not Linux ones. You don't need it unless you're trying to protect other Windows machines with it.

Erayd
06-11-2007, 10:29 AM
I dont think Linux has any AV programs does it? Or needs any.It does have a few, but they are mostly for mailservers and they all scan for Windows viruses. Linux has no need for an AV program, as there are simply no viruses to catch.

aidanmaz
06-11-2007, 11:35 AM
CA eTrust AV 7.0 and 7.1 work on linux.......so i dont need to be paranoid like i am with windows?.....awesome :-D

Speedy Gonzales
06-11-2007, 11:45 AM
CA eTrust AV 7.0 and 7.1 work on linux.......so i dont need to be paranoid like i am with windows?.....awesome :-D

You got it, dont worry about getting anything for Linux

aidanmaz
06-11-2007, 12:37 PM
back to the sound, i have fiddled and no luck when i hover the pointer over it, it says 80%, not muted, all the sliders are unmuted wen i double click on the volume.....hmmmmmm......and should i be worried about restricted drivers.....for my atheros wireless? no issues since im on the laptop now.

kjaada
06-11-2007, 03:15 PM
Which version of ubuntu do you have ?I ask this because they are always updating and the latest version may have drivers for yr sound card if it is not working and the mag versions are generally a fair bit behind the latest.

kjaada
06-11-2007, 03:23 PM
Try here:http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=30024

beama
06-11-2007, 03:26 PM
I dont think Linux has any AV programs does it? Or needs any.

it has here (http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=antivirus+for+linux&safe=active). But you're right "is there a need"