PDA

View Full Version : good mail client?

handya
05-11-2007, 07:41 PM
hi,
what is a good e-mail client for windows, that will work with gmail? and that is free
cheers

Speedy Gonzales
05-11-2007, 07:58 PM
Just add the account to OE.

You'll be able to send/receive.

Only thing about Gmail, (I dont think it'll matter what program you use) is sending files from whatever program.

Thru Gmail, it'll complain if its too big.

And the file isnt that big at all.

Phil B
05-11-2007, 08:05 PM
Thunderbird does all I need. I forward all my xtra mail (the work account) to gmail & then forward it again to my orcon mail (home account) & download the emails into thunderbird & split them with filters to the relavant folders. Gmail has got much better spam protection than xtras non existant attempt. I've set gmail to keep messages on the server, so in theory I should never lose a message & I can check them via webmail on any computer if I want. If you set up 2 accounts in Thunderbird you can choose which email address you want as the reply address

beeswax34
05-11-2007, 09:03 PM
Well really, it comes down to either Outlook Express or Thunderbird. They are both good but I'd personally go with Outlook anyday because I sync to my PDA and the interface and features in the 2007 version are quite nice.

They are both well supported and have heaps of information out there so give Thunderbird a go if you want something free but if you already have OE then just use that.

heni72847
05-11-2007, 09:30 PM
I use thunderbird on my kubuntu machine
and portable thunderbird on my notebook if I really need it

gmail got imap now so your labels becomes folders
imap works better than the pop they had before imo

I'll go for thunderbird, I mainly use it because of its cross-platformness~

Speedy Gonzales
05-11-2007, 11:00 PM
I've just added gmail to OL 2007.

Looks pretty good with its separate folders.

At least OL shows the pics, (sent to my gmail addy), OE didnt.

I had to save the attachments (which were EML files, in OE), then open them to see the email and the pics.

Keefcake
06-11-2007, 08:46 AM
If you're talkign about FREE outlook 2007 won't be the one for you then. I'd go Thunderbird.

decibel
06-11-2007, 06:48 PM
Thunderbird and if you have just signed up for Gmail, I'd go for the IMAP option instead of POP.