PDA

View Full Version : Help required re - Modem

kbcad
05-11-2007, 02:37 PM
I have a Belkin 802.11g Wireless Router, that I wish to use to connect to the 'Net and my LAN. The instructions say to connect it between my PC and my existing Thomson Speed touch modem, which is unfortunately is a USB connection to the PC, so can't be done. It appears that I will need a new (Belkin?) modem.
Suggestions much appreciated. Modems/Routers/Access points confuse me. All help much appreciated. KB.

Pete O'Neil
05-11-2007, 02:39 PM
You best bet may be to return the Belkin unit and see if you can get a router with a built in modem. Any half decent retailer should do it, if so I'd recommend the Linksys WAG54G, otherwise another Belkin unit should be fine.

Speedy Gonzales
05-11-2007, 02:41 PM
Take it back and get a ethernet modem/router.

It doesnt HAVE to be Belkin. If you want wireless just get a modem/router and wireless all in one. Which may include an AP.

kbcad
05-11-2007, 02:47 PM
Thanks for replies. The Belkin came as part of a package deal with a new PC, so could be hard to return. I have accepted the fact that I have to replace my old Modem. It's really a matter of specifying the correct one. KB.

MushHead
05-11-2007, 07:41 PM
You should be able to pick up a cheap single-port ethernet ADSL router on TradeMe, such as the D-Link DSL-302T that a lot of the ISP's DSL bundles came (come?) with. Not sure how "good" they are, but should do the job. Probably a bit cheaper than selling your Belkin & buying a wireless ADSL router (but a bit more complicated to set up).

decibel
05-11-2007, 09:25 PM
You would be better off getting an ethernet card for your existing PC - are you sure you don't have one already?