PDA

View Full Version : Travelling with a laptop

JohnnyR
05-11-2007, 02:08 PM
I'm heading overseas soon and want to take my lap top. Is it OK to let it go through airport scanners, Xray machines etc?
Any advice welcomed.

Ta JR

kjaada
05-11-2007, 02:22 PM
Not a problem.What do you think thousands of travellers do every day with their Lappy.
BUT keep a good hold on it in airport lounges etc as they are a prime target for thieves in all countries.

CYaBro
05-11-2007, 02:24 PM
When we went overseas last year I had to take the laptop out of the bag at every security check point we went through.
The machines don't damage laptops at all.

pcuser42
05-11-2007, 03:26 PM
Don't let it go through the metal detector though, it may erase the information on the hard drive. (Is this a problem with solid state drives?)

JohnnyR
08-11-2007, 07:27 AM
Thanks everyone , but I'm still a little confused.

You say that "the machines don't damage laptops at all" but "Don't let it go through the metal detector though".

So do you mean it's OK to let your lap top be xrayed in your suitcase, but not to go through the walk thru passenger metal detector?

JR

kjaada
08-11-2007, 07:50 AM
Thats right.X rays are ok but the metal detector is a strong magnetic field.I am sure the attendant will not let you take it through any way.

CYaBro
08-11-2007, 07:59 AM
Thats right.X rays are ok but the metal detector is a strong magnetic field.I am sure the attendant will not let you take it through any way.

That's right, only your person goes through the metal detector, everything else has to go through the x-ray machine.

PaulD
08-11-2007, 08:32 AM
Depending on where you are going some airports only allow 1 carry on bag per passenger so your laptop, camera etc has to be able to go into that.

John H
08-11-2007, 08:40 AM
My laptop (and countless others each day) would have gone through the domestic airport xray scanner probably hundreds of times since I bought it 3-4 years ago. No problems.

I think you would have heard if there had been any damage to the millions of laptops carried by suits going through airport xray scanners around the world every day... Business and academia would have ground to a halt long ago.

Agent_24
08-11-2007, 09:46 AM
yes, xray fine, magnetic field, bad