PDA

View Full Version : Linux Driver for DSE Wireless Card 802.11g

davehold
05-11-2007, 11:35 AM
Hi I a Linux newbie having just followed the excellent article in PCWorld and created a bootable Linux USB Drive. Everything seems to work fine but I have no internet connection. What should I do to resolve this? Do I need to install a linux driver for the wireless card?

Speedy Gonzales
05-11-2007, 11:42 AM
I would say so.

Go to the DSE site, and do a search for the code.

The drivers maybe under this.

davehold
05-11-2007, 05:55 PM
I have had no joy at the DSE site and they do not list any drivers for linux for the pcmcia cards. Does anyone know who DSE source these 802.11g PCMCIA cards from or does anyone have any other suggestions or workarounds?

Speedy Gonzales
05-11-2007, 06:05 PM
Whats the code?? XH... ?

davehold
05-11-2007, 06:19 PM
Model is XH 9945

Speedy Gonzales
05-11-2007, 06:26 PM
Youre right, there's drivers for everything else, but Linux.

Unless linux has picked it up detected and installed the drivers.

Have you configured it??

Have u got an AP??

What are you trying to connect it to? A wireless router, with XP?

Myth
05-11-2007, 06:26 PM
Why not grab the windows drivers and use ndiswrapper?

davehold
05-11-2007, 06:32 PM
There are no lights showing on the wireless card ( I am a REAL linux newbie here) so I dont know what ndiswrapper is and I wouldnt know how to configure the card. I was just hoping :-)) that I would load a linux driver and voila !! Just call me the king of naievete !

davehold
05-11-2007, 06:39 PM
Yep I am using a wireless router and trying to connect my laptop. The laptop is running Win XP Pro with all the updates. The linux distrib one I have made today using LinuxMint installed on a USB Drive and then used to boot the laptop into Linux from fresh hard boot.

Myth
05-11-2007, 07:00 PM
Ok, just had a quick read on Linux Mint. Apparently its is based on Ubuntu (which just made things a bit easier).

For ndiswrapper, basically you need to install ndiswrapper, find the windows drivers (.inf and .sys), and load the .inf into ndiswrapper (warning, some command line work is required)

Before you do this, have a look in the Mint forums and also the Ubuntu forums, for howtos about wireless and ndiswrapper. Its not easy for a new Linux user

davehold
05-11-2007, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the direction and the help. I will review the articles you mentioned and see what I can sort out. Cheers.