PDA

View Full Version : Web pages - drop down menus

Mercury
04-11-2007, 09:28 PM
I'm trying to create a drop down menu in a web page. I haven't done it for a while and have forgotten heaps. The old story of "use it or lose it".

I've been playing with javascript code from various websites, and also a forgotten program - Coffee Cup DHTML menu builder.

Problem is - when I go to view my page in IE 7 a warning pops up about running scripts on the page and I have to click to accept them. Not a good look for a website.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Renmoo
04-11-2007, 09:37 PM
Something like what appears when you click "Quick Links" under PressF1? In that case, right-click on a zblank zpase..... (mumble)

Mercury
04-11-2007, 09:41 PM
Something like what appears when you click "Quick Links" under PressF1? In that case, right-click on a zblank zpase..... (mumble)

Exactly like clicking on Quick Links.

Could you repeat yourself please? All I got was a mumble.

Renmoo
04-11-2007, 10:12 PM
All right, I shall rephrase it in a more politically-correct manner then. Right-click on a blank spot, click "View source". Next, analyze and learn how the effect is done (I didn't say copy and paste...), then replicate it onto your web page.

That's pretty much how I learned to use CSS. Good luck with your design :)

P.S. Wait til next morning when more experts will help you with comprehending how it is done.

Mercury
04-11-2007, 10:25 PM
I've been using view source and copying code.

Actually I'm now wondering if I've been experimenting too much in one window and haven't deleted something that I should have. Time for a fresh document.

But will leave it now, allow it to perculate through the brain cells overnight and start playing again tomorrow.

stu161204
04-11-2007, 11:04 PM
I will help you tomorrow afternoon if no one has help you before then....

Greg
05-11-2007, 06:22 AM
I'm trying to create a drop down menu in a web page. Tons of copy & paste scripts here (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/index.html).

ad_267
05-11-2007, 08:52 AM
Tons of copy & paste scripts here.
I'll second that.

You could also have a look here: http://www.htmldog.com/articles/suckerfish/dropdowns/

Mercury
05-11-2007, 02:47 PM
I'm now really confused. Last time I made a DHTML menu was 3 or 4 years ago and there were no problems then.

Assuming there was some code I'd overlooked in the page I started a fresh page (Using Macromedia Homesite). Only code in it were the html, head and body tags.

I then went to Dynamic Drive (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/chrome/index.htm) and downloaded the script I was playing with last night into it.

On opening it in IE 7 a message came up saying IE restricted the page from running Active X controls or scripts. Click here to allow it.

OK, second test. Used Coffee Cup Free DHTML builder to create a menu. Once again fresh page, once again same message.

Right, third test. Opened PC World page, went View Source, saved it as a test page and ran it. Same message.

Now I have absolutely no problems with DHTML menus on websites. So why am I getting this error from pages stored on the hard drive. Any ideas?

Greg
05-11-2007, 04:00 PM
Any ideas? Hmm, it's weird but if it was me I'd try uploading the page and testing it online instead of from your computer. Anomolies like this happen.

Mercury
05-11-2007, 04:41 PM
Hi Greg,

I'd come to the same conclusion but found that my FTP program was canning out - on both my websites on different servers (last used it a month ago without problems). Copied the program to the laptop - canned there too. This is not my week with computers obviously!

Tested the test pages on the laptop and they had the same script message there as well.

So, went hunting, found a new FTP program, loaded it, uploaded the test pages and they all worked fine.

It is beyond me. Why do pages loaded from the hard drive block scripts where the same pages work from the web??? Something to do with the default settings in the firewall? Something is a bit backward here.

Ah well, it works. If anyone has any sudden brainwaves as to how to fix it please let me know. But if there are no obvious answers I'll just work around it.