PDA

View Full Version : Problems with my download speeds ?

Kardboard Boxs
04-11-2007, 12:36 PM
HI there,

I have just recently had this problem my download speeds have been cut down from having about 450kb/s :) with Internet Download Manager to have 100kb/s-50kb/s :horrified I tried using different Download managers flashget etc.. and still the same problem I am using rapidshare,megashares to download files. I have not gone over my bandwidth as I checked im not sure what the problem is any help would be great. My ISP is slingshot and I have a MAX Down/128 kb/s Upload.

Thanks
Kardboard Boxs :)

beeswax34
04-11-2007, 01:16 PM
Hi and Welcome to PressF1:)

Have you reset your modem and checked if your plan isn't throttling you because of you breaching your data cap?

stu161204
04-11-2007, 01:47 PM
checked if your plan isn't throttling you because of you breaching your data cap?

<snip>I have not gone over my bandwidth as I checked</snip>

;)

stu161204
04-11-2007, 01:52 PM
I have just recently had this problem my download speeds have been cut down from having about 450kb/s :)

How did you measure that speed? Was that with a download manger? & what site where you downloading from? (e.g. was that speed from rapidshare,megashares?)

Have you tried downloading something large from a local server so see if its not International speed problume?

Kardboard Boxs
04-11-2007, 02:02 PM
HI there,

thanks for the replys and yes I have tried reseting my modem,router and hooking up to diff computers,directly hooking up to the computer through the modem but I will try downloading something from a local sever that was the speeds showingn up on internet download manager from megashares and rapidshare but the thing is that when I test my download speed through speedtest.net I get 143ms ping 768kb/s download and 124kb/s upload.

It might just be a problem with megashares,rapidshare.

Kardboard Boxs
04-11-2007, 02:04 PM
How did you measure that speed? Was that with a download manger? & what site where you downloading from? (e.g. was that speed from rapidshare,megashares?)

Have you tried downloading something large from a local server so see if its not International speed problume? Yes I used Internet download manager to measure the speed but when I used speedtest.net It shows a Download of 768kb/s and upload of 126kb/s wherer is a local sever I can use to download a large file thanks.

nerd
04-11-2007, 02:04 PM
if you had max download shouldnt it be faster than 450 kb/s?
i thought it would was 7mb/s and youd get at least 2-3 mb/s
you shouyld check with your isp about their slow speed maybe they have problems currently?

Kardboard Boxs
04-11-2007, 02:09 PM
if you had max download shouldnt it be faster than 450 kb/s?
i thought it would was 7mb/s and youd get at least 2-3 mb/s
you shouyld check with your isp about their slow speed maybe they have problems currently? um im not sure Ill have to ring them up as in my modem setting is says I have a Downstream of 7635kbps and an Upstream of 188kbps Line Attenuation 17dB but actually downloading is about 450kb/s max using IDM why what speeds do other people have with MAX download plans.

Cheers

steveroby
04-11-2007, 02:36 PM
HI there,

It might just be a problem with megashares,rapidshare.

Probhably being throttled by your ISP.
This morning (Sunday) I got over 100kb/s download off rapidshare (yah)
Then in the afternoon Xtra turned back on the throttling & it went down to
15kbs ie my usual speed for these sites.

Kardboard Boxs
04-11-2007, 02:48 PM
Probhably being throttled by your ISP.
This morning (Sunday) I got over 100kb/s download off rapidshare (yah)
Then in the afternoon Xtra turned back on the throttling & it went down to
15kbs ie my usual speed for these sites.
I must be getting throttled by my ISP I get usually 450kb/s any time of the day with slingshot from rapidshare or more I just did a test with Slingshot and my download speed is 2455kbps or 245KB/s just downloaded a file from slingshot.co.nz and it was going 255KB/s without the IDM and then with IDM 45Kb/s im going to reinstall IDM and try again.

Kardboard Boxs
04-11-2007, 03:31 PM
Here is slingshots actual speed test for my line,

Download Speed: 2984 kbps or 2.98mb/s (373 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 119 kbps or 0.11mb/s (14.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 79 ms

Cheers
Kardboard Boxs

So I just must be getting throttled as this is the first time it's happened to me.

Greg
05-11-2007, 06:56 AM
Is it just a single large file that you're wanting? If so let us know what it is and perhaps we can find you an alternate server to get it from faster.

rob_on_guitar
05-11-2007, 07:06 AM
Not meaning to pay out Slingshot, but they have truely gone downhill, I queried them reguarding absolute crap speeds over the weekend and the helpdesk said it was because kids are more likely to be at home on the weekend.:illogical

Im moving house around Dec 10, and Im changing providers when I do.

Kardboard Boxs
05-11-2007, 04:49 PM
I found a test file but I must have been getting throttled becose this morning I was downloading at 460kb/s and about miday it crapped out to 40kb/s f***king slingshot :annoyed: im probly going to change to xtra or wat would ne here recomend for the same price roulghy.

Mercury
05-11-2007, 05:48 PM
Before changing to xtra it may pay to read an article in today's Herald (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10474122)

Consumer magazine have a detailed article on Broadband plans on their website (http://www.consumer.org.nz/topic.asp?docid=2443&category=Computers%20%26%20Phones&subcategory=Internet&topic=Broadband%20internet)

I'm not sure if you have to pay to see this or not as I am logged into it. You should be able to read at least some of it though. And the local libraries usually carry a copies of the magazine. Or you can pay to read it on-line.

stu161204
05-11-2007, 09:38 PM
Before changing to xtra it may pay to read an article in today's Herald (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10474122)

Consumer magazine have a detailed article on Broadband plans on their website (http://www.consumer.org.nz/topic.asp?docid=2443&category=Computers%20%26%20Phones&subcategory=Internet&topic=Broadband%20internet)

I'm not sure if you have to pay to see this or not as I am logged into it. You should be able to read at least some of it though. And the local libraries usually carry a copies of the magazine. Or you can pay to read it on-line.

http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=84419

cell-gfx
05-11-2007, 10:43 PM
Yep - got exactly the same problem. I used to enjoy between 500-700KB/s connections usually after about 10pm on my Slingshot connection, but now the best I get even after 1am is about 150KB/s.

It's also strange that when I run an international web speed test, I get the following result :

:::.. Download Stats ..:::
Download Connection is:: 268 Kbps about 0.3 Mbps (tested with 386 kB)
Download Speed is:: 33 kB/s
Tested From:: http://testmy.net/ (Main)
Test Time:: 2007/11/05 - 3:15am
Bottom Line:: 5X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 31.03 sec
Tested from a 386 kB file and took 11.792 seconds to complete
Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 6.54 % of your hosts average (net.nz)
D-Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-F8Y1TU3BD
User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X; en-US; rv:1.8.1.9) Gecko/20071025 Firefox/2.0.0.9 [!]

My favourite bit is highlighted... 6% of average? Yet when I run the Slingshot test (which clearly downloads a file from their NZ servers), it says my download speed is 3Mb/s. It's a total crock! I think Helen needs to stop worrying about fireworks and get her finger out with internet speeds!

treen
09-11-2007, 05:25 PM
I'm also slingshot with exactly same problem, been very frustrating when i'm used to getting the file i want in 15-20 mins, now taking more than 2 hours.
Didn't want to have to change providers :(

Sweep
09-11-2007, 05:36 PM
I'm also slingshot with exactly same problem, been very frustrating when i'm used to getting the file i want in 15-20 mins, now taking more than 2 hours.
Didn't want to have to change providers :(

So you download the same file, same size on a regular basis?
Welcome to PressF1.

cell-gfx
10-11-2007, 12:23 PM
Yep. When I spoke to Slingshot customer services, they got me to try all sorts of speed tests hosted both in NZ and across the world. They all gave useless speeds apart from the Slingshot one hosted in Auckland.

The guy I spoke to said (and this isn't a joke) that an undersea cable from Taiwan that feeds the host that Slingshot use was severed recently which was impacting international traffic speeds from New Zealand. Well I've got a plan - swing a cable over to Aus, as their 22Mb speeds seem fine!

And apparently the new 'Naked DSL' product is currently in trials, but as Telecom are dragging their feet on getting everything ready, it won't be rolled out until December. It was originally slated for mid-September according to the Slingshot homepage. Oh, and apparently they are only going to roll it out to 50 customers a month when it does go live. So not much of a wait then...

The funniest one I was also told by their customer services rep was that Telecom are upgrading all of the exchanges so that they can be ready for ADSL2 mid next year! Are they kidding?! ADSL2? They can't even get ADSL right!

Hopeless...