PDA

View Full Version : Antivirus

Mateo1981
03-11-2007, 05:40 PM
Whats the best Anti virus program and why? Ive been using bitdefender but the subscription ran out.

Speedy Gonzales
03-11-2007, 05:42 PM
Depends if u wanna pay. Avast Home, or AVG, there's a free version.

Altho, I've seen too many people get hit by something nasty, when AVG is installed.

Or NOD32 if you wanna pay.

stephen
03-11-2007, 06:16 PM
If you do a search on this forum, you will find numerous threads on this topic, along with everyones opinions. I myself use NOD32. Apparently their new version 3 that is just being released uses nearly half as much memory as 2.7 did.

mark c
03-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Take good heed of what both Stephen and Speedy Gonzales say, but from my personal exp. I have been using AVG on 2 comps for 10 years and it works. Keep it updated. I don't know who these good-hearted people are who produce and maintain it are but as I say it works. Well as far as I know of course; these two comps may be riddled with evilware but that's also the world we live in. I believe they aren't.:thumbs:

Laura
03-11-2007, 07:26 PM
Yes, there have been heaps of threads on this topic.
Do a Search on the forum for enough suggestions to confuse you...

But I'll bite again and put in my usual plug for the free version of avast!, which updates itself so smoothly without effort on my part.
I did have AVG. I like avast! better - updates for lazy/absentminded people.

It hasn't let me down yet.

Ninjabear
03-11-2007, 08:14 PM
HAs the final version v3.0 of Nod release as I cant seem to find it on their website

wainuitech
03-11-2007, 08:18 PM
Lots of results and lots of good advice, what to get what not to get its almost endless.

BUT, the old saying " A picture is worth a thousand words".

I have just finished scanning a customers Hard Drive attached as a second drive to a workshop PC It has already had Spysweeper (http://www.webroot.com/) run through it first to remove some of the spyware.(detected and removed 387)

They had AVG + Spybot+ Adaware - AVG said it didn't have any infections (wanna bet) The 2 showing in the results as not being cleaned are active spyware that will be removed when it reboots. The Pic Shows the result- AVG says its clean.

NOD32 See For yourself (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Nod32.png).:rolleyes:

You be the Judge!

Sweep
03-11-2007, 09:22 PM
Yes, there have been heaps of threads on this topic.
Do a Search on the forum for enough suggestions to confuse you...

But I'll bite again and put in my usual plug for the free version of avast!, which updates itself so smoothly without effort on my part.
I did have AVG. I like avast! better - updates for lazy/absentminded people.

It hasn't let me down yet.

My Avast works for me as well. Free AVG has worked in the past.
The only problem I have with avast is that I leave my computer on 24/7 and Avast wakes me up in the night or early morning to let me know the database has been updated.

Must turn the sound down before I hit the sack.

MY fault entirely.