PDA

View Full Version : Taking Off Vista & Putting on Windows XP

metrotest
03-11-2007, 04:26 PM
Hi

I am not very computer literate - I have a new computer a Toshiba Satelite A200 Intel Penium Dual Core which came with Vista on it. I do not want this and want to have Windows XP professional which I have on my old computer which is no longer working but I still have the original installation disk. Can I uninstall the Vista and reinstall the Windows XP or am I asking for trouble? Is it better to get someone professional to do this or can I do it myself? Thanks for the help. Sheila:help:

Speedy Gonzales
03-11-2007, 04:35 PM
First thing I would do, is MAKE SURE there are drivers for it, if you decide to install XP. On the Toshiba site. Otherwise, nothing will work (LAN/Wireless/Sound etc). Whatever its got.

Altho, it can be a bit tricky if the hard drive is a SATA.

wainuitech
03-11-2007, 04:48 PM
Try this site here Toshiba Canada (http://209.167.114.38/support/Download/ln_byModel.asp#) you will find almost every driver if its available, You will also need the Part number of The Laptop, It should start with PSAE??

Follow This Path (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Satalite.jpg) once you have the Part Number. Should be someplace on the Underside of the Laptop.

Down load them BEFORE you wipe the Drive, and save someplace like a CD or USB Drive

Pete O'Neil
03-11-2007, 05:01 PM
Probably a good idea to make sure the XP disk from your old PC is a retail copy, if its an OEM copy or a restore disk you'll need to go and buy another copy of XP. What brand is your old PC? Where did you buy it from? What does the disk say?

There was an idiot recently that tried to reinstall XP on his PC with an XP designed for another PC and the dramas that followed while hilarious were stressful for those involved.

wainuitech
03-11-2007, 05:06 PM
There was an idiot recently that tried to reinstall XP on his PC with an XP designed for another PC and the dramas that followed while hilarious were stressful for those involved.

Wainuitech >>:waughh: :lol:

Speedy Gonzales
03-11-2007, 05:12 PM
You mean the one I got the mods to lock :lol:

Or else we would have been there till Xmas.

Speaking of which I havent heard from him since.

metrotest
03-11-2007, 06:38 PM
The serial number is PSAF0A-0EV019 - but it does not appear in the drivers for the Toshiba Satelite A200. My old computer came with windows XP home edition and then I bought a copy of windows XP Professional. The disk does say OEM, but I bought it separately from I think Assent, so as the previous hard drive is dead why can't I use it?

I do not think the process really sounds like it can be done for an amature.

Pete O'Neil
03-11-2007, 07:07 PM
OEM versions of Windows are meant to be tied to the hardware they are brought with, the likes of Ascent etc are only meant to sell it with hardware. Microsoft have been known to be pretty lax when it comes to transferring OEM licenses so they might be ok with it, but legally they don't have to do it.

Theres nothing to stop you from installing your copy of XP Pro, it will install flawlessly but when it comes to activate it chances are you'll need to contact Microsoft to get an activation key and they may not give it to you.

Reinstalling windows isn't really that hard and a good skill to learn. You seem relatively intelligent which makes life a lot easier ;) The key is good preparation, thus the suggestion of finding drivers now is a necessity. I'll have a gander around the Toshiba website and see if i can find them.

Generally with drivers its simple a matter of running a bunch of .exe's and reboot after each one. Also remember that you will also need to reinstall all the software etc so make sure you have this disks for this.

metrotest
03-11-2007, 07:36 PM
Hi

Thanks for the response - most appreciated. We employed an IT guy for 6 months but sacked him as I knew more than he did, he turned looking after one server and 4 computers into a 40 hour a week job! It was he who purchased them from Ascent - I remember the invoice though. That's really naughty of Ascent:horrified .

gary67
04-11-2007, 09:10 AM
I have looked at buying OEM in the past but was unsure of the licencing, so are you saying that if you buy OEM it will not have a product key?

wainuitech
04-11-2007, 09:39 AM
I have looked at buying OEM in the past but was unsure of the licencing, so are you saying that if you buy OEM it will not have a product key? Nope, OEM is meant to be sold with Hardware,When you Get OEM it comes in a No Fancy Packaging, The product key and thats about it, no manual etc. Shops that sell OEM without hardware are actually breaking the licence agreements that they are meant to abide to.

This SIte Here (http://www.helpwithpcs.com/jargon/oem.htm) actually expalins it in plain english. If you want an in depth technical read go to Microsoft and locate there licensing on OEM

jwil1
04-11-2007, 01:22 PM
One little hole I have found in OEM licensing is that if you have two PCs by the same manufacturer (eg Compaq) you can use the OEM disc from one to install XP on the other (don't know if it works for Vista) without having to activate or even enter a serial key!

I have tested this on 2 Dell's (a Dell Inspiron 1150 (circa 2004) and a Dell OptiPlex GXa (circa 1997)) and this solution works - when XP was installed on the OptiPlex no serial was required and no activation was requested. The disc used was distributed with the 1150 - XP Home SP1.

This may or may not work with other manufacturers.

Sherman
04-11-2007, 01:38 PM
With regards to activation for XP, I think MS are fairly relaxed about it, even for activating online...
So long as you only have the license used on one PC, and it's been a while (couple of months or longer) since you last activated, it should activate fine over the internet.

(PS: This info has come from experience from installing my own OEM copy of XP Pro that came with my laptop)

darroll
04-11-2007, 03:17 PM
I would not run XP.
You will have all kinds of problems with drivers, etc.
Vista is a good, fast, stable OS.
Or if you want, go buy another hard drive and see what you will run into
loading XP. At least you will keep your drivers intact.
d

wainuitech
04-11-2007, 03:26 PM
One little hole I have found in OEM licensing is that if you have two PCs by the same manufacturer (eg Compaq) you can use the OEM disc from one to install XP on the other (don't know if it works for Vista) without having to activate or even enter a serial key!

Thats correct , if it is the same model or the components / chipsets drivers etc are the same it works fine. Thats a simple recovery Disk.

The reason you don't need a Product Key is because its embedded in the install, but it only works on the recovery CD, I have seen many Compaqs all with the same product Key.
An Example is if you use something like Magical Jellybean (http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml) to read the product Key, and try to install it using a standard XP CD, even though it will work and allow the install it wont activate, even its on the same Compaq PC / Hardware.
Only works from the recovery CD.
If you call MS they will ask for the COA on the side of the case, and change the codes.

hkeyzer
04-11-2007, 06:41 PM
Options for running your PC with Windows XP:
1/ Buy a second hard drive, remove the original vista drive and put it aside. Then install new drive and load windows XP (assuming you've downloaded the drivers).

If it runs fine - get an external drive case for the original drive and now use this drive as a backup, or if PC allows booting from USB port use device as a second bootable drive.

If you can't get Win XP with drivers to work, all is not lost - put original vista drive back in and use the new drive in external drive case as backup.

wainuitech
04-11-2007, 06:53 PM
Options for running your PC with Windows XP:
1/ Buy a second hard drive, remove the original vista drive and put it aside. Then install new drive and load windows XP (assuming you've downloaded the drivers).

If it runs fine - get an external drive case for the original drive and now use this drive as a backup, or if PC allows booting from USB port use device as a second bootable drive.

If you can't get Win XP with drivers to work, all is not lost - put original vista drive back in and use the new drive in external drive case as backup.

Damn Good idea - could save hours of work :thumbs: