PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find a media player that will allow me to slow the audio speed???

Aporosa
03-11-2007, 04:14 PM
Hi, I have some audio (dictation - research interviews) that is in both .wav and MP3 version. I need to transcribe this (type it up) to use for my Uni research. Does anyone know of a FREE media player that allows you to set the audio speed - like slow it down, so I can listen to it at a slow speed and type at the same time? My typing speed is not that fast. There are heaps of free media players, but I can't find one that will allow me to adjust the play speed. Can you direct me to a FREE player please? Cheers.

The_End_Of_Reality
03-11-2007, 04:17 PM
WMP can, I know WMP11 can for sure, using it now...

Aporosa
03-11-2007, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the suggestion re WMP11. However, that only allows fast, normal, and slow. Does anyone know of a playback system that has an adjustment bar, so you can slow it down more than WMP?

Agent_24
03-11-2007, 05:04 PM
audacity should do it, but the more you slow it down the worse it will be

SurferJoe46
03-11-2007, 05:05 PM
Wait..I can slow things down incrementally in WMP10..what's the deal with WMP11?

Did that go away now too?

But Audacity DOES it quite well...if you have enough RAM for it that is. It may try to use a paging file area, but it botches that up when it does,

Aporosa
03-11-2007, 05:08 PM
Joe surfer....... thanks man, but the problem is, you are dealing with a computer idiot here... how do you do it - slow it down incimentally? I only found "fast, normal and slow".

Also, re Audacity, is that free??

Agent_24
03-11-2007, 05:10 PM
Free, yep. http://audacity.sourceforge.net/latest/audacity-win/audacity-win-1.2.6.exe

SurferJoe46
03-11-2007, 05:21 PM
Joe surfer....... thanks man, but the problem is, you are dealing with a computer idiot here... how do you do it - slow it down incimentally? I only found "fast, normal and slow".

Also, re Audacity, is that free??

WMP10 can do it...but I don't know about the new fangled version WMP11 you have...a pox on it in my eyes!

Use Audacity, and when you have the file opened into it, go to the EFFECTS column and find the speed command...it's really quite easy...you WILL lose some clarity if you try to get it too slow without the supporting RAM as I said...but you should be able to get pretty much what you want there.

The_End_Of_Reality
03-11-2007, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the suggestion re WMP11. However, that only allows fast, normal, and slow. Does anyone know of a playback system that has an adjustment bar, so you can slow it down more than WMP?
Yes, you can, just done have the "snap slider to common speeds" option checked, can go as slow as 0.5 times normal.