PDA

View Full Version : Soundcard Problems :(

wodrolb
03-11-2007, 03:27 PM
Ok so some of you may know that I have just recently got a new computer. Thanks to all who helped me fix my last problems with the usb ports, etc.

I have a Creative X-fi Xtreme Gamer sound card installed into my comp and a couple of problems have occured, not sure if anyone has had this card before and know how to fix it but I'll post anyway.

My mic doesn't work in this soundcard, when there is a port on the soundcard with a little mic icon next to it, the other 3 ports are being used by my 5.1 channel speakers. I've checked my sound properties more than enough, nothing is on mute, yet I still can't get my mic to pick up any sound at all?

Also when In audio creation or the other modes, It makes really loud hissing noises when I play music or press a note in FL Studio (a music making program) and wont Shutup, I have to restart or mute all the sound properties to stop the sound from hissing.

I've tried researching topics on the Creative website but I have had no luck, other people have had the same problem, and some have apparently fixed it somehow, but I doesn't say how they did so.

Can anyone help at all? Hopefully someone here knows about this soundcard.

Speedy Gonzales
03-11-2007, 03:30 PM
Did u disable the onboard sound? if this isnt the onboard soundcard?

Did you plug the mic into the right input if this isnt the onboard soundcard?

wodrolb
03-11-2007, 03:51 PM
Did u disable the onboard sound? if this isnt the onboard soundcard?

Did you plug the mic into the right input if this isnt the onboard soundcard?

I think I disabled on board sound. I disabled some sound option last night under onboard settings in BIOS. I think that was it but I am not 100% sure.

And yes the mic is in the right input on the new soundcard.

Pete O'Neil
03-11-2007, 04:16 PM
Sometimes the cards are capable of auto sensing what is being plugged into the ports as often there isn't enough physical ports of the number of inputs/outputs. Since you have a 5.1 channel speaker setup plug in it may be anticipating a speaker and not microphone, this is normally easily changed in the soundcard software package which is normally access through Windows control panel.

wodrolb
03-11-2007, 04:26 PM
Sometimes the cards are capable of auto sensing what is being plugged into the ports as often there isn't enough physical ports of the number of inputs/outputs. Since you have a 5.1 channel speaker setup plug in it may be anticipating a speaker and not microphone, this is normally easily changed in the soundcard software package which is normally access through Windows control panel.

Where abouts exactly in the control panel is the soundcard software package?

Pete O'Neil
03-11-2007, 04:57 PM
Where abouts exactly in the control panel is the soundcard software package?
Should just be in control panel, cant remember the name as I haven't had a creative card for a while and they've probably changed the name anyway. It'll just be under soundcard options, should exactly be hard to find.

wodrolb
03-11-2007, 05:00 PM
Should just be in control panel, cant remember the name as I haven't had a creative card for a while and they've probably changed the name anyway. It'll just be under soundcard options, should exactly be hard to find.
There is no such option in the control panel. The closest thing to that would be "sounds and audio devices" which I've already been through.

Agent_24
03-11-2007, 05:07 PM
did you install the creative drivers and apps?

wodrolb
03-11-2007, 05:41 PM
Yeah

wodrolb
06-11-2007, 09:17 PM
Hmm. I still can't get the Digital I/O to work on my current soundcard :(

It also seems I'm not the only one getting the same problem...

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=soundblaster&message.id=109065

I hope I didn't waste money buying this soundcard. There is a mic input on the soundcard, it even has a little mic symbol next to the port, so there must be a way to enable it...

Speedy Gonzales
06-11-2007, 09:33 PM
Hmm, is this the Fatal1ty Pro?

I dont think youre using 2k, BUT according to

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_Blaster_X-Fi)

It says:

As of June 2007, Creative does not yet officially support the use of Sound Blaster X-Fi with Microsoft Windows 2000. Furthermore, Creative has apparently gone out of its way to ensure that its software does not work as intended under Windows 2000.

An X-Fi card's audio drivers (EMU20K1 chipset) may indeed install perfectly under Windows 2000 but the Creative Audio Console and other related software will likely refuse to recognize the device, thereby leaving the sound card in a default two-speaker mode.

Fortunately a workaround exists, which enables full Creative software support under Windows 2000.

The currently-working solution is to replace all instances of the file "ctxfispi.exe" in newer driver versions (e.g., SBXF_PCDRV_LB_2_09_0007.exe) with the same file from older drivers (e.g., SBXF_PCDRV_LB_2_07_0004.exe), as seen in Creative's own user forums.

Please note that Windows 2000 audio management tools cannot be used to significantly tweak an X-Fi card, especially (and critically) with respect to speaker management.

wodrolb
06-11-2007, 10:04 PM
My soundcard is just: X-fi Extreme Gamer. Not the fatality series.

Also I run on XP

Agent_24
06-11-2007, 11:21 PM
Hmm. I still can't get the Digital I/O to work on my current soundcard :(

It also seems I'm not the only one getting the same problem...

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=soundblaster&message.id=109065

I hope I didn't waste money buying this soundcard. There is a mic input on the soundcard, it even has a little mic symbol next to the port, so there must be a way to enable it...

Despite what you may have heard creative is not the best to end all soundcards - in fact their popularity when first introduced to PC was mainly because they were the only thing available

wodrolb
07-11-2007, 04:47 PM
I'm thinking of buying a new soundcard. Any suggestions?

Mainly for inputting my electric acoustic, recording vocals. Music creation in general, but can still have my 5.1 speaker system set up.

Agent_24
07-11-2007, 05:54 PM
Sonething from Auzentech perhaps?

Though your problems with the Creative are probably fixable. I suggest you try a forum dedicated to their products though, you'll probably get better results

wodrolb
07-11-2007, 10:18 PM
i've tried looking all over the net for help.

nothing has come up! just a lot of unsolved topics with the same problem :(

Speedy Gonzales
07-11-2007, 10:29 PM
Take it back and get something else. If its under warranty.