PDA

View Full Version : Spybot and AdAware 2007?

Raewyn
02-11-2007, 11:06 PM
For a while I've used Spybot S&D and AdAware as recommended by most but now I see not so positive reports about AdAware 2007 and wondered what alternatives people are using these days with Spybot? Look forward to the replies. Thanks.

SurferJoe46
03-11-2007, 03:33 AM
I dropped AdAware as I think it got too bulky and bloated.

I currently run:

Windows Firewall (flames-a-comin')
AVG-Free
AdBlock+
SiteAdviser
Spybot S&D
BoClean by COMODO
..and my physical firewall in the form of a Belkin Router.

These all play well together and don't seem to step on each other's toes.

They are not a guarantee against stupidity on my behalf...I am god in the Administrative sense and can bring in malware if I want...I just try to not do so!

rob_on_guitar
03-11-2007, 04:10 AM
Adaware 2007 is horrible in my opinion.
But I still use it:o as I dont know what else would replace it.
I use Bo clean and the comodo firewall
Spinach antispyware
AVG free antivirus.

Havent had any issues really.

Spybot I use as a '2nd opinion' once in a while.

SurferJoe46
03-11-2007, 05:31 AM
ROB: I lost F1 Chat..cannot get logged back on..sorry

Raewyn
05-11-2007, 05:24 PM
Has anyone else found a good free program to replace AdAware 2007 that works well with Spybot? Or are you all still using AdAware?

wainuitech
05-11-2007, 05:32 PM
Has anyone else found a good free program to replace AdAware 2007 that works well with Spybot? Or are you all still using AdAware? After the Mag review in PC world, have been using the free version of Spyware Doctor and Spybot.
After running Spybot, Spyware doctor found on average at least 10-20 more infections. (Some times More)

Theres a link in my sig to the Free version if you want it. you don't have to pay for it, its not a trial, and works fine.

mark c
05-11-2007, 07:57 PM
This will go on forever, as far as I can tell. Arguements about crudware et al. I recently downloaded and ran 6 antispyware progs, ("we will remove if you pay us") and there were issues but with a search and manual instructions from various sites I think i cleaned it up. (many try to scare you into buying their anti-spyware progs|). Now I think there are still various crapware progs on my comp, or bits of them, but I am beyond caring. If it works then I'll use it. Simple as......m

Pato
05-11-2007, 08:50 PM
After the Mag review in PC world, have been using the free version of Spyware Doctor and Spybot.
After running Spybot, Spyware doctor found on average at least 10-20 more infections. (Some times More)

Theres a link in my sig to the Free version if you want it. you don't have to pay for it, its not a trial, and works fine.

Does Spyware Doctor do everything that Spybot does?.

wainuitech
05-11-2007, 09:13 PM
Does Spyware Doctor do everything that Spybot does?.

Spybot has a few tools for Reg , and other operations.

For ages I have always used Spybot and Webroots Spysweeper (http://www.webroot.com/), Spysweeper is not free, but always seemed to catch more "bugs".

Not all antispyware will catch every bug, you usually have to have a couple. Ever since the latest issue of PC World, I have been using Spybot first, then Spyware Doctor on Customers PC's.( I have a paid sub for workshop use on spysweeper that I install - clean then remove the program ).

Today I ran those two, then installed Spysweeper and found no more. So if the Free version Of Spyware doctor, and Spybot do the job - The price is right FREE, then every ones a winner.

Removed AVG Antivirus - Installed Nod32 with trial licence - updated / Scanned.
Results: Removed 9 Viruses + 17 Adaware/Spyware (some in system Restore)

Installed Spybot, then Spyware Doctor

Heres the Scan results on a customers PC today.
Installed Spybot- Removed 41
Installed Spyware Doctor (free) Removed a further 38
Installed Spysweeper - No More found

Spybot and Spyware Doctor do play Nice together

Raewyn
05-11-2007, 10:34 PM
Would Spyware Doctor be okay for older computers? I was told that it can slow the computer.

Speedy Gonzales
05-11-2007, 10:42 PM
I wouldnt be too worried about getting anti spware programs.

Just be careful, what you get and install. And dont install dodgy software.

If youre not too sure about a particular program, do a search in google or yahoo.

See if it installs malware / its rogue software. If it is dont get it or install it.

And keep windows / whatever up to date.

JJJJJ
06-11-2007, 05:31 AM
I wouldnt be too worried about getting anti spware programs.

Just be careful, what you get and install. And dont install dodgy software.

If youre not too sure about a particular program, do a search in google or yahoo.

See if it installs malware / its rogue software. If it is dont get it or install it.

And keep windows / whatever up to date.

Most sensible answer I've seen for a long time.
IMO spybot is too slow and never finds anything apart from the usual 8 "tracking cookies". Now hardly ever used
AdAware was useless, but harmless. Since the new cumbersome version has come out I no longer use it.
I have always been of the opinion that if a program is free , it is useless.
And I think the most over-hyped item is the firewall. Completely unnecessary on a home computer. They cause more problems than they ever stop.
I spend most of my time linked to other servers and the biggest hindrance to a goog connection is a firewall.I've even had them blocking all incomming e-mail, "They may contain dangerous material"
My computer is as fast as they come and I keep it that way by not allowing any useless utility to interfere. And by blocking "automatic updates"
The only utilities I now use are O & O Professional defrag and Regscrubxp.
And nod 32 ,with auto updates turned off

steveroby
06-11-2007, 09:05 AM
I have always been of the opinion that if a program is free , it is useless.

there are a few good freeware programs out there.
Kasperspky have occasionly released a freeware AV (AOL AV & 6month
KAV that came on a mag CD)
Spyware doctor is free & is very good

The freeware AV proggies are good enougth, IF you are carefull & know what
your doing AND you can restrict access to your PC
Many of the badly virus infected PC's I see are 'family' PC's where the
kids go wild on it. Theres not much that can be done to prevent re-infection
in these cases (Ive been told its not worth the family arguments that would erupt if the PC was 'locked down')

Speedy Gonzales
06-11-2007, 09:14 AM
The only programs Ive got installed at the mo, are Avast and Rogueremover.

Rogueremover is good, as it gets rid of the more stubborn rogue programs.

That other programs, cant remove.

So, if you decide to get something free, and you're not too sure if it installs crap,install Rogueremover, and see if the program is in its database. If its rogue software, it will be.

effie c
06-11-2007, 09:36 AM
Hi all,

I am fascinated at the negativity against Ad Aware 2007-I used to use Spybot and several others -

So tried --- first a new download of Spy Bot then ran a scan- found nothing ( I scan at least twice a week)- downloaded and installed Ad Aware 2007 and it found 29 intrusions including a "critical" one.

I have now permanently installed Ad Aware 2007, uninstalled all others except Spyware blaster,and Rogue Remover- and of course Nortons A V- and use Microsoft in built firewall-- (am using XP Pro )--and there has been no problems since ( I get about 20 non critical ,ie "tracking" cookies a week )

I would be prepared to change, even now, if somebody can prove I am on the wrong approach for protection needs, but at this point I am well satisfied.

effie c

Pato
06-11-2007, 01:35 PM
Thanks wainuitech that is the info I was after as I have been running Spybot for a long time and have now added Spyware Doctor and from your comments they will do the trick. Cheers.

pctek
06-11-2007, 02:00 PM
Adaware always tends to find more because it looks for cookies too which Spybot doesn't.
I'd always keep Spybot, regardless of which others I might install along with it.