PDA

View Full Version : Old computer as firewall

jcr1
02-11-2007, 08:19 PM
In setting up a computer as a firewall, I have seen some positive comments on "Smoothwall".
Also there are pro's & con's stated for this sort of exercise.

What would be people's experiences or opinions on this sort of thing.

tweak'e
02-11-2007, 08:32 PM
how do you connect to the internet? if you use an external adsl router then an extra external firewall is not any great advantage unless your running a caching proxy.

jcr1
02-11-2007, 08:37 PM
how do you connect to the internet? if you use an external adsl router then an extra external firewall is not any great advantage unless your running a caching proxy.

Not for me tweak'e, I use an external adsl router, so I'm fine.

This is for some folk who have just signed up for broadband. I have a modem I can give them and they have a couple of old computers, lying around which I suggested could be put to good use.

vinref
02-11-2007, 10:52 PM
How "old" are these old computers?

vinref
02-11-2007, 10:54 PM

That does not make any sense.

Why would you suddenly need one when you have a caching proxy, yet not need one without?

jcr1
03-11-2007, 06:31 AM
How "old" are these old computers?

One about 386 vintage, the other would be probably (haven't really looked at it yet) no older than 6 years; it's an Arche machine.

I've glanced at some tutorials, on line, and some recommend a computer with reasonable specs, but most quite happily hint "almost anything will do".
I'm a bit sceptical about the last opinion.

Anyway, what I really want here, is people's opinions based on their experiences before I launch myself blindly into a project, that might not work.

Myth
03-11-2007, 08:34 AM
Asked around on IRC.. smoothwall will indeed run fine on an old computer (if all its doing is firewalling/routing)

PaulD
03-11-2007, 08:42 AM
Careful, an old PC used as a firewall will let a malicious power company in to steal more money off you :)

bob_doe_nz
03-11-2007, 08:46 AM
Does anyone know if these software firewalls will allow PCI based ADSL modems to work in conjunction.

What I'm trying to do is get a Via Epia based motherboard, chuck in an ADSL modem, install a linux firewall of sorts, hook it up to a switch and make it my bi**h... I mean my own router.

Would that work?

somebody
03-11-2007, 08:48 AM
Just be aware that there's a difference between "will run on just about anything" and running _well_. Hardware that's too old may have an impact on network throughput etc. if the software hasn't been properly optimised.

Erayd
03-11-2007, 10:17 AM
Also you will struggle to get any modern Linux running on a 386 these days - you will need a decent amount of experience with kernel patching etc before you will even get it to boot.

The minimum 'supported' CPU these days is 486 or higher.

Myth
03-11-2007, 12:42 PM
When I asked around, I was actually referring to the younger of the old computers (the 6 or 7 year old one). I wouldn't even bother with the 386

Agent_24
03-11-2007, 12:48 PM
use the 386 for playing prince of persia...

I had smoothwall 3 running on a celeron 400mhz for fun, never actually tried using it because the setup wouldn't set my network cards up properly. Sure it detected both of them, but wouldn't let me assign one to the DSL and the other to ethernet even though that was what it was supposed to do. Maybe I actually needed said DSL plugged in...

But most router has a firewall inbuilt anyway, or you can use software on the PC... an extra PC for firewall is kinda pointless for home, security-wise anyway, and it's probably gonna have to be running 24/7 so power wasting is probably an issue too