PDA

View Full Version : Vista Questions

Grandier
02-11-2007, 02:26 PM
i got 2 questions regarding Windows Vista Home Premium which came with my new VAIO laptop....

ok, first up, i borrowed my friend's Photoshop CS3 which he downloaded from the internet. i can install it works 100% in my XP desktop, but not in my Vista laptop. as you vista users already know, to install a program, the OS will ask ur permission to proceed with installing it. i allowed it, and there's a small popup window with the green gauge that fills up until 100% in order to proceed with the instalation. Once it hits 100%, NOTHING HAPPENED. i understand that it might be the faulty program, but then if it works in my XP desktop, it should've work in my Vista laptop. can anybody help me with this?

and the second one is...a few weeks back, i bought a Logitech USB headset (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/webcam_communications/internet_headsets_phones/devices/228&cl=nz,en). I can't seem to use it in my laptop as well. i don't think i need to install a driver to use it though. it works on windows' default sound, like the sound of new hardware connected/disconnected, etc, but not the sounds that come from applications like...youtube, etc. but normal earphones with the 3.5mm jack works just fine. can anybody help me with this as well?

All helps or attempts are much appreciated. thank you in advance =)

dugimodo
02-11-2007, 03:16 PM
Cant help with the software problem.

For the headset, you need to go into control panel and configure your audio devices to use the usb headset instead of the sound card.

I'd have thought it would come with at least some kinda instructions?

Can't be more specific until I get near a vista pc.

wainuitech
02-11-2007, 03:18 PM
Does the Laptop Meet the System Spec's for Photo Shop See Here (http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/photoshop/systemreqs/).

somebody
02-11-2007, 03:35 PM
Photoshop CS3 is very temperamental with installing. Would I be correct to guess that this "downloaded from the internet" copy is not exactly... kosher?

In any case, try running the install again, this time right click on the setup file and select "Run as Administrator".

Grandier
02-11-2007, 04:48 PM
wainuitech: yes. spec-wise, my laptop is much better than my XP desktop. so it shouldn't be a problem.

dugimodo: alrighty, problem solved. many thanks to you =)

somebody: hm...i'll try that when i got back home. thanks for the input though. will let you know if it works

zcc
02-11-2007, 04:53 PM

Nah sound like admin will do it.
Doesn't matter if its kosher or not the %^^$ cr@p should install at least.

beeswax34
02-11-2007, 06:24 PM

Nah sound like admin will do it.
Doesn't matter if its kosher or not the %^^$ cr@p should install at least.

Uh no, pirated software isnt exactly stable sometimes. Not to mention the crap like viruses and spyware that some of them come with. So its not kosher? Cos we cant help you with illegal software...

drcspy
02-11-2007, 08:20 PM
but then if it works in my XP desktop, it should've work in my Vista laptop

not necessarily

Grandier
02-11-2007, 09:42 PM
beeswax34: back when i used my XP desktop, i did a virus scan of it and it have no spyware/virus. so i can assume that its a 'relatively' clean one. but still, its not kosher. thanks for the input though =)

somebody: i tried the right click > run as admin, and it still doesn't do me any luck....oh well~~ can't do much with illegal softwares ahaha

zcc
03-11-2007, 11:02 AM
Define "illegal software"... then again don't.

I think a download as listed above is LEGIT... but I could be wrong.

As for "Cos we cant help you with illegal software...", I suppose thats because of the forum rules.

wainuitech
03-11-2007, 11:16 AM
I think a download as listed above is LEGIT... but I could be wrong.
You may be correct, it could be Legit - you can download the program from Adobes site and pay for there as well.

So to say its "downloaded from the Internet" Doesn't mean its illegal.

The question that should be asked is " is it a legally purchased program that you paid for ".

somebody
03-11-2007, 11:25 AM
You may be correct, it could be Legit - you can download the program from Adobes site and pay for there as well.

So to say its "downloaded from the Internet" Doesn't mean its illegal.

The question that should be asked is " is it a legally purchased program that you paid for ".

I think the licence agreement would probably prevent 'borrowing' in the form of "i borrowed my friend's Photoshop CS3 which he downloaded from the internet"

Greven
03-11-2007, 11:43 AM
Download the trial if it has one & see if that works

Grandier
03-11-2007, 07:10 PM
well according to my friend, it is an illegal software. I always thought softwares that are downloaded from the internet are all illegal, but i thought wrong.

anyhow, i'll download the trial version (if there is one) to see if it also doesn't work.

Speedy Gonzales
03-11-2007, 07:21 PM
Ah no, if downloading any software on the net was illegal, there would be no point in getting on the net, in the first place.

You wouldnt have sites that sell software online (which is legit, coz you'll be buying it), or ms patches either, or patches / fixes for anything.

Altho, there are trials (which may or may not do what you want), and may or may not last as long as you think), until you pay for it.

Altho, there are free programs on the net, but there's also free as in getting commercial programs for nothing, which is illegal.

wainuitech
03-11-2007, 07:58 PM
anyhow, i'll download the trial version (if there is one) to see if it also doesn't work.
Its there alright - Its a 463Mb download,Downloaded it my self, thought I'd have a Look - you have to create an account, (doesn't cost anything) no Credit card details, simply your Name , email , country, Town, Post code and Here is down load link (http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/index.html). Good luck with the install, and Please do pop back and advice if it now works OK.:thumbs:

Grandier
06-11-2007, 07:23 AM
ok, i'm quite surprised really. it turned out that the trial version WORKS in my computer. now i can finally have a temporary peace of mind doing my assignment until i could get a legit/illegal working copy of CS3

anyway, thanks for the help guys :thumbs: i really appreciate it