PDA

View Full Version : whats going on here?? wireless connectivity issues!!

rscwindows
02-11-2007, 12:17 PM
hey all.. im new to this place so Kiora !!

i have a wireless network at home with 2 laptops (dell) and a desktop connected to a DLink dsl 604t router working beautifully for years. my issue is with a recent toshiba laptop purchased... it doesnt want to connect to my WLAN!!

Im sure all settings are configured correctly as they are the same on all laptops (network key etc).. there are 3 network adapters on this tecra s3 model (1394 connection which i believe to be firewire, local area connection and wireless connection). Local connection works fine when connected via an ethernet wire but wireless connection cannot "see" my network.. i tried turning windows firewall off with no effect.. but i dont believe thats an issue as my other laptops are firewalled along with the inbuilt firewall in the router and ive had no issues with them. there are no yellow devices under device manager.. ive installed latest wlan drivers from toshiba website.. it seems to be working as it searches and picks up a default wireless network from around here . but its not my one.. but it cant connect to it.. my other laptops pick up few other networks from around the area.. could it be that my wireless adapter is simply screwed?? but this was a refurbished model direct from toshiba so it should have been checked....

any possible reasons or better.. solutions that im missing out here.. whats the problem here... Many THANKS in advance.!!

o yeah.. ipconfig says media disconnected for wireless adapter??

Speedy Gonzales
02-11-2007, 12:24 PM
And what version of Windows is installed on these?

XP ? Vista?

Thats right 1394 is firewire, and shouldnt be used as part of a network.

rscwindows
02-11-2007, 12:26 PM
using XP Home SP2 at the moment.. i have disabled 1394 connection as well still no effect..

wainuitech
02-11-2007, 12:50 PM
could it be that my wireless adapter is simply screwed?? but this was a refurbished model direct from toshiba so it should have been checked.... Could be faulty since you can detect other Wireless Networks but not your own.
Refurbished is sometimes a risk, as that can mean its broke before and repaired, and can break again.
The other thing you can try is go into the Wireless setting, turn off all security, and make sure the SSID is not hidden. If its still not showing then It may be stuffed.