PDA

View Full Version : External Hard drive USB port

minster
02-11-2007, 09:44 AM
A couple months ago I bought a External W/D 320 gb hard drive.
The connection that the usb cable plugs into on the hd is quite sloppy and at times I would need to wiggle the male plug before my pc would recognise the hard drive.
Apart from this, the hd seemed okay and I have since copied about 150 gb of back ups to it for (safe keeping?)
Tried yesterday to use the external and apart from a few minutes, there appears to be no output coming from the female usb port. (HD not recognised by my pc)
I have tried using another good USB cable and there is no difference so it appears that the female usb port on external case is faulty.
Tried emailing the company that this was purchased from but as yet have had no response and am a bit concerned that if this unit is replaced under warranty, will I lose my data which is important files?
My question after all this babbling is,
Can the female usb port be replaced and is it an expensive operation?
Advise would be appreciated Thank you:thumbs:

Happy Harry
02-11-2007, 09:58 AM
If the USB port is on the front of your PC then it is not an expensive job
If however it is on the back of the PC the USB port is probably part of the Mother board which is not a cheap repair.
Have you tried this HDD on another USB port on your PC. Most PCs have more than one.
You could also test the drive on another PC to confirm where your problem lies
HH

minster
02-11-2007, 10:00 AM
The usb port in question is on the external hard drive.

Happy Harry
02-11-2007, 10:04 AM
Have just reread your post.
Do you mean the USB socket on The External HDD enclosure?
If this is the faulty part then it would be reasonably easy to remove the HDD from the enclosure and put it into another enclosure to access your data, before you return the whole unit for warranty repair.
Cheers
HH

minster
02-11-2007, 10:08 AM
Thanks Harry:D
The enclosure has no access screws but does seem to have little holes that are blanked off.
Would these conceal screws?

Graham L
02-11-2007, 05:38 PM
Talk to the company you bought it from before you try dismantling it. ;) You could easily do damage , and that dosn't look good in a warranty claim.

Baldy
02-11-2007, 05:55 PM
If you only brought it a couple of months ago, why muck around? Take it back for a repair/replacement. I think its warranteed for at least a year

Sweep
02-11-2007, 06:22 PM
PM sent. Have a look. Contact me if you wish.