PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP 32 or 64?

Pourhommenz
01-11-2007, 08:02 PM
Hey guys -

I'm picking up the bits for my new system on Saturday hopefully.

Just wondering - I'm going to be using 4gb's of ddr2 1066 cl-4-4-4-12 ram and am wondering if i should use xp 64 bit?

I really don't get the difference and on face value - will i notice any difference? I have heard of problem running some programs on 64 but these were from reviews in 2005 .... Is this not the case anyone?

Really in the dark on this one.

OH also - on a side note - the people I'm getting the hardware from have suggested I get g.skill ram instead of crosair - are they right in saying this?

beeswax34
01-11-2007, 08:42 PM
Remember to check if there are 64 bit drivers for all your software and devices. That said, there are more being added everyday. If you need that much RAM, get the 64 bit system that will be able to use all of it.

autechre
02-11-2007, 08:38 AM
As far as I know XP64 support is still quite iffy, so make sure you can get 64bit drivers for everything you need.

Support for Vista 64bit seems to be much better though.

Chilling_Silence
02-11-2007, 09:12 AM
If RAM is the only reason you'd want to then DEFINITELY steer clear! Even 64-bit vista isnt all that hot...

Pacifier
02-11-2007, 09:29 AM
64 bit isn't iffy at all, I run vista64 fine with hardly any issues,

If you are putting a new rig together I would go 64bit, most new gear has 64bit drivers, but go Vista not XP

I do agree that XP can be, used to have it before going to Vista on my new Rig, seems to have been left behind driver wise now.

dugimodo
02-11-2007, 12:38 PM
I was using XP pro x64 for a while, it's nice and stable and mostly works ok, but it took a while to get there. There are issues with drivers for older hardware, and some software will not work. Anything with any 16 bit code for example.

If you have a particular use in mind then do some research and make a decision based on the software you want to run.

for general purpose computing and/or games I'd reccommend sticking with ordinary XP for now ( home or pro, doesn't reallly matter ). You'll have the least amount of grief and the best change of all the software/hardware working properly, Both Vista ( all versions ) and x64 XP pro still have issues running some software & hardware.